Thread: Keeper Stragedy (12-team H2H)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Keeper Stragedy (12-team H2H)

I've just drafted 6 "keepers" an expansion team in a 12-team H2H keeper (keep 6) league with standard scoring. Keep C/LW/RW/D/D/G of 12 active roster slots (6 bench spots too).

Obviously not a superstar in the bunch, but better than I expected.

My question is whether I should focus on trying to trade-up my keepers, or if I should be drafting future stars (Yak, Markstrom, Huberdeau etc..)???

I'm fairly confident that I can still put together a competitive squad, but am I better to trade up, or trade for future picks and make a serious run in the future?

I've never played in a keeper... I need help.

Thx.

Dobber Sports Pro

I think a good mix of proven and prospects/picks is what you should be after. Proven players are obviously worth more and will speed up your "rebuild/build". There are some great buy low options out there right now and top teams with injured stars like Gaborik may be willing to part with stars for players who can contribute immediately. The only problem with this approach is the lockout will probably cause GMs to hold on to anything of value until after an agreement has been reached.

Another tip:
    Find the one or two guys in the league who always seem to be in rebuild mode and value draft picks and prospects very highly. Exploit them while you can. For example, last year I traded MPS, Brett Connolly, Louis Leblanc and a decent pick for John Tavares. This GM loved picks and prospects and accepted this trade.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Stud

There's no pint in finishing in second place. I think that if you honestly can't make a run for the title, push the rebuild button. Stacking your team with surefire fire prospects like Yak, Markstrom and Huberdeau, is a sound strategy. I'd take some fliers on some lesser ranked prospects, but not too many. Do some research, find the good ones.
    20tm UFA/RFA dynasty

Cats: G, A, SOG, STpts, +/-, hits/bs, GAA, Sv%, W+SO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I'm with Robmyatt on this one. There's no point going for a full rebuid unless necessary. By the sounds of it, you should aim for a 3 year build. Meaning..... Get a mix of younger vets (25-30 yrs old range) and a few elite prospects (Yakupov, Huberdeau, Granlund, Schwartz, Baertschi, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Scheifle, B. Smith, Schultz, etc...)

Dobber Sports Star

Your job over the next two seasons is to consolidate talent. That's all. When a great player gets injured, go to their owner and overpay. Gut your depth, because it doesn't matter. You want the best 6 keepers possible.

Grab high-end prospects and wait until they get hot, then flip them + a mid-range player for a good player.

Consolidate, recover depth through the wire and other activity. Rinse, repeat.

Do not focus on future stars, outside of a few extremely high-end ones... this league only has 72 players kept from year to year, so you should be able to build a championship roster within two years.

Consistently, ruthlessly stick to that strategy: you are targeting a title in 2014/15. By being clear on this, it frees you from the trap of "I want to be competitive in the near- and long-term"... dish short-term assets for long-term gain. Trade picks in next year's draft for picks in the 2014/15 draft. Aim for 2014/15 in everything you do!

Some great advice here, but with only 6 keepers there is a tonne of turnover. Trouble is, with 12 teams, I'll likely never see a superstar on my roster unless I draft one. Closest thing to a superstar I've got my hands on is Kopitar.

If my strategy is to draft future stars, then I'll of course be forced to keep them over a vet at seasons end. Is that a sound strategy?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    Your job over the next two seasons is to consolidate talent. That's all. When a great player gets injured, go to their owner and overpay. Gut your depth, because it doesn't matter. You want the best 6 keepers possible.

Grab high-end prospects and wait until they get hot, then flip them + a mid-range player for a good player.

Do not focus on future stars, outside of a few extremely high-end ones... this league only has 72 players kept from year to year, so you should be able to build a championship roster within two years.

Consistently, ruthlessly stick to that strategy: you are targeting a title in 2014/15. By being clear on this, it frees you from the trap of "I want to be competitive in the near- and long-term"... dish short-term assets for long-term gain. Trade picks in next year's draft for picks in the 2014/15 draft. Aim for 2014/15 in everything you do!

Great advice here. ^
    I agree. Make it a two-year plan to build keepers & draft picks for 2014-2015.

Awesome, thx.

Oh by the way, FHG helped me select the following "keepers" from the expansion.

Kopitar, Benn, Backes, Subban, Goligoski, Ward.

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Also I'd like to add... it's "strategy"... not "stragedy"

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post

This is a great blueprint on how teams in just about every format should be built.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by jer_33 View Post
    Awesome, thx.

Oh by the way, FHG helped me select the following "keepers" from the expansion.

Kopitar, Benn, Backes, Subban, Goligoski, Ward.

Cheers.
    What categories do you have?

Depending on the categories, that's not a terrible 6 to have. It's a nice group of multi-cat guys.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Quote Originally Posted by reinjosh View Post
    What categories do you have?

Depending on the categories, that's not a terrible 6 to have. It's a nice group of multi-cat guys.
    G/A/+/PIM/SHP/SOG
    W/GAA/SV%/SO

All players are +, and shoot a lot. Backes and Subban pumping out the PIMs.

Ward is a workhorse, but need him to improve his peripherals.

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Also I'd like to add... it's "strategy"... not "stragedy"
    Depends on the result...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by jer_33 View Post
    Depends on the result...
    Touche.....

Got to finish our draft last night so here's how the squad looks this morning:

Benn - Kopitar - Backes
    Doan - Carter - Wheeler
    (Yakupov, van Reimsdyk, Plekanec, Dubinsky)

Subban - Goligoski
    Doughty - Ekman-Larsson)
    (Carlson)

Ward
    Niemi
    (Neuvirth)

Took Yakupov and Doughty with my first two picks, I see them as an upgrade to Backes/Goligoski.

Comish Dynasty 2021-22 (24 Team Roto Dynasty, Custom Salaries)
    Minnesota North Stars, 2nd Tier
    C - Aho, Rakell, Foligno, Trenin (Janmark, Steel, Kurashev)
    LW - Hall, Lucic, Sanford, Bellows (Vesalainen, Foote, Katchouk)
    RW - Seguin, Toffoli, Jaskin, Donskoi (Jarvis)
    D - Sergachev, Edler, Petterson, Forbort, Ceci, Valimaki (H.Fleury, Alexeyev, Salo)
    G - Price, Brossoit (Stolarz)