Thread: Hunter Shinkaruk

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Hunter Shinkaruk

Got my first look at him last night. Wasn't impressed, but I'm not going to use a single game sample size to evaluate a young talent.

He did remind me a bit of Kane in terms of skating style - he isn't as quick, but looks to be a bit bigger than Kane was at the same age.

Decent speed, fantastic hands, sees the ice really well. The Giants did a great job shutting him down.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

The Great One

I'm very excited about him. I drafted him two years ago in one of my keeper leagues. In that same year I also grabbed Monahan and Lazar, and all three of those are looking to go early next year.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I wish I was able to draft guys before they were drafted, HAHA.. Ohwell, guess I will have to wait..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    Got my first look at him last night. Wasn't impressed, but I'm not going to use a single game sample size to evaluate a young talent.

He did remind me a bit of Kane in terms of skating style - he isn't as quick, but looks to be a bit bigger than Kane was at the same age.

Decent speed, fantastic hands, sees the ice really well. The Giants did a great job shutting him down.
    I might be Bias in this situation (only because if from Medicine Hat) but I'm starting to think Hunter is the real deal.. He's a machine with whoever he plays..

Last year he played with Emerson Etem and everyone linked Hunter's point totals to Etem. This year Hunter is playing with Valk (who hasnt been a overwhelming talent) but they seemed to click.

Hunters hands are amazing. His sight on the ice is very good and his overall skill is getting better and better. I went to a game last week where he took the puck on a wrap around, couldnt quite get a good shot.. he then switched directions and instantly backhanded the puck top shelf.. I've never seen a player do that.. His creative ability is amazing..He's been winning CHL and other awards this year.. Also had a 5 point night against Calgary.. 1 goal and 4 assists.. Curtis Valk had 4 goals and 1 assist to match.. That line is very good.

On the downside he does seem to take some nights off. I've noticed he gets timid sometimes against apponents who challenge him..

I'll keep reporting back through the season.
    Last edited by Papps; November 6, 2012 at 10:56 AM.
    "dARK wING dUCKS" 2011-2012 CHAMPS

10 Team Points Only Limited Keeper Pool (keep any 12)

Top 12 Forwards, 5 Defense & 2 Goalies Count
    Goals = 1, Assist = 1, Shutout = 3, Win = 2,

F: Kessel, Backstrom, Spezza, Benn, Voracek, Couture, Skinner, Wheeler, Stepan, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Ennis, Brown, Atkinson,
    D: Karlsson, Pieterangelo, Streit, Fowler, Enstrom, Gardiner, Sekera
    G: Price, Rinne, Smith

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I wish I was able to draft guys before they were drafted, HAHA.. Ohwell, guess I will have to wait..
    haha. Yeah I know this kid who's 13 in Burlington I think will make the NHL but my league won't allow for this at all.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Papps View Post
    I might be Bias in this situation (only because if from Medicine Hat) but I'm starting to think Hunter is the real deal.. He's a machine with whoever he plays..

Last year he played with Emerson Etem and everyone linked Hunter's point totals to Etem. This year Hunter is playing with Valk (who hasnt been a overwhelming talent) but they seemed to click.

Hunters hands are amazing. His sight on the ice is very good and his overall skill is getting better and better. I went to a game last week where he took the puck on a wrap around, couldnt quite get a good shot.. he then switched directions and instantly backhanded the puck top shelf.. I've never seen a player do that.. His creative ability is amazing..He's been winning CHL and other awards this year.. Also had a 5 point night against Calgary.. 1 goal and 4 assists.. Curtis Valk had 4 goals and 1 assist to match.. That line is very good.

On the downside he does seem to take some nights off. I've noticed he gets timid sometimes against apponents who challenge him..

Thanks for the updates. I appreciate them. I don't get to see him often, but what I have heard is similar to your comments. I suspect (hope) that the inconsistencies will work themselves out as he matures. He isn't an overly big guy, and with Etem gone he is getting more attention from the opposition. If he is going to be a top line NHLer, he is going to have to stand up to the pressure, like Pat Kane.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Papps View Post

Yeah - as I said, one game sample. I've seen him play three times since then, and he has 13 points in those three games. He is the real deal.

Administrator

I think it's tough to hold a lack of consistency against a guy that young.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I think it's tough to hold a lack of consistency against a guy that young.
    especially in the CHL with crazy road trips - a one game or two game sample size doesn't do a whole lot.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by angus View Post
    especially in the CHL with crazy road trips - a one game or two game sample size doesn't do a whole lot.
    I just remember when I was that age, I certainly didn't want to try hard every day.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust