Thread: Ryan Matthews

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Ryan Matthews

My team is brutal and is 0-4. It's a 12 team ppr keep 4. I like Matthews and believe this is the perfect time to buy low, as the owner is 1-3 (only win against me). I want to put out an offer and try to acquire him before they play this weekend. Take a look at my roster below and let me know what you would offer.

qb- manning, schaub, locker
    rb-forte, mjd, sjax, jstew, d richardson, turbin
    wr-lloyd, stevie, dhb, cobb, hawkins

thanks

Dobber Sports Initiate

Assuming the scoring is normal and that you start QB, 2x RB, 2x WR, Flex, TE, K, DST.

First, I dont see any good offers for Mathews there. Forte+ and MJD+ is too much. SJax is being treated like garbage in trades right now, so I doubt he'll accept something like SJax+ (even if that + is Lloyd or Stevie). Maybe Manning + SJax would work if he needs a QB?

BUT, sorry to say this, you're not going to win much with that team...your only shot is to blow it up and take a few chances.
    14 Team Dynasty League
    5 C's, 8 W's, 5 D's, 2G's - 3 Prospects.

Scoring
    F: Goals(3) Assists(2)
    D: Goals(4) Assist(3)
    G: W(3) Saves(0.15) Goal Against(-0.75) Shutout(2)

C: Datsyuk, Grabovski, Backstrom, Bergeron, Bozak
    W: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, P Kane, Hall, Sharp, Kessel, Nash, Silfverberg
    D: Enstrom, Letang, Kronwall, Faulk, Chara
    G: Miller, Price

IR:
    Prospects: Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Shore

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I wouldn't blow it up. Manning is a fine QB and you have 2 great backs. So let's see. Who's your TE? You can't afford to trade a QB, and quite frankly I don't think you need Mathews because MJD and Forte are great starts each week. That would be a lateral move and wouldn't help your team. Remember-- when you trade, the only reason to do so is to improve the holes on your team. You have major WR issues.

If you can address your receiver issues, then you can maybe start to win some games. Lloyd and Stevie are both WR2s in deep leagues-- it'll be hard to get wins in a ppr with those guys as your top wideouts.

Dobber Sports Initiate

hmm I disagree on not having to blow it up

So his starting lineup would be something like:
    QB: Manning/Schaub
    RB: MJD, Forte
    WR: Lloyd, Stevie
    Flex: SJax

Main problem: WR's.
    Can it be fixed without blowing things up? I just dont see it, since he hasnt got anyone on the bench that should be started. If he is looking to win this starting lineup wont be good enough.

I'm thinking he can do a sell high on MJD packaged with Stevie and get an underrated RB+better WR, but that definitely involves taking a chance on a RB others are low on right now. If Manning+SJax can get him Mathews, and he then trades MJD+Stevie for something like Martin + Nicks his lineup will be:

QB: Schaub/Random qb from the WW (Schaub has an excellent matchup going forward)
    RB: Mathews, Forte
    WR: Nicks, Lloyd
    Flex: Martin

Looks like a much stronger team to me.
    14 Team Dynasty League

Scoring

IR:

Dobber Sports Prodigy

It might look like a better lineup but it's likely impossible for him to get unless you somehow know every roster of every team in his league. Easy to speculate on good returns for a combo like MJD+Stevie, but it's meaningless unless you know what his trading partners have/want/need.

In my opinion you will never win a league with Schaub as your QB. They are barely throwing the ball this year-- and I see no reason why they will need to. Yesterday the Texans coach said he hasn't even ruled out giving Foster 400+ carries this season. I'm sure he won't, cause that's absolutely insane-- but it shows how dedicated to the run they are.

I agree that he needs to do something, big time. But I think trading Manning would make his team worse. He's not going to get a stud receiver for him, because quite frankly in a 12 team league, half the league has QB who is better than Manning. And if they don't, he's only marginally worse. If they wanted Manning, it would only be a slight upgrade to what they have now. So, they aren't going to pay a premium to get him. I also agree that he should try and trade Forte+Stevie for a stud WR and a lower tier back. That's probably his only option.
    Last edited by AldoWeldon; October 4, 2012 at 4:40 PM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. It has got me thinking about packaging mjd or forte with Stevie for a rb/wr package. A couple of packages I could target are

Doug Martin and d thomas
    White and bjge
    Nicks and r bush
    Green and benson- problem with this is the owner has thei biggest man crush on green that I've ever seen. Bigger than mine for forte.

What order would younrank the above combos? I agree about the qb thing. If I have any hope of squeezing into the playoffs, Schaub won't help. My TE is olsen.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'm not sure those first two will help you much, but Nicks+Bush could be nice. Asking for Green might be stretching it. I've got Green myself and wouldnt trade Green+Benson for Forte+Stevie. MJD might be more tempting, but those are more lateral moves.

Who owns McFadden?

If you're gonna sell high on MJD you have to make sure you are actually selling high. If you cant do that you should be looking for a buy low where you package 2 vs 1.

I still think Schaub + random guy from your waiver will produce pretty close to Manning if you do the matchups (and Schaub has ALOT of nice matchups). Which QB's are available?
    14 Team Dynasty League

Scoring

IR:

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ynotzz View Post
    I'm not sure those first two will help you much, but Nicks+Bush could be nice. Asking for Green might be stretching it. I've got Green myself and wouldnt trade Green+Benson for Forte+Stevie. MJD might be more tempting, but those are more lateral moves.

Who owns McFadden?

If you're gonna sell high on MJD you have to make sure you are actually selling high. If you cant do that you should be looking for a buy low where you package 2 vs 1.

I still think Schaub + random guy from your waiver will produce pretty close to Manning if you do the matchups (and Schaub has ALOT of nice matchups). Which QB's are available?

Tannehill, ponder, weeden....not many options. My brother owns DMC and he is a die hard raiders fan.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I just think you need to take a gamble to win and if Manning can help you in a trade I dont think running the matchups with Schaub+Ponder will hurt you that much.

Schaubs schedule: @Jets, Packers, Ravens, Bills, @Bears, Jaguars, @Lions, @Titans, @Patriots, Colts, Vikings.

That is a NICE schedule. I am also watching Tannehill closely. If he can cut back on the interceptions there could be some real value there....
    14 Team Dynasty League

Scoring

IR:

Dobber Sports Pro

If you can get Bush/Nicks for Forte/Stevie, then definitely do that. Great buy-low time for Nicks. He's had 3+ weeks to get to 100% now and I think it will happen.

I also like the Green/Benson deal but I don't think that would get accepted.

I too think you are fine with Manning. If you went with Schaub as your starter you won't have a chance. Houston is not a good system for fantasy QBs.