Thread: John Davidson resigns from the Blues

The Great One

Default John Davidson resigns from the Blues

According to numerous articles and twitter reports, John Davidson has resigned from the Blues.

Maybe this is not a surprise to some, but it is too me. Davidson is (imo) one of the most respected men in hockey and he did a terrific job with the Blues and is now stepping down just as the team seems to be a solid contender.

I wonder where he will end up next.

Link to TSN article (not much to the story, but confirmation I'm not making it up): http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406224
    Last edited by SeaDawg; September 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Immortal

Im confused....and expect more to come out on this soon. Seems like a weird time for him to do it.

Administrator

If I recall there were rumors of him stepping down during the ownership turnover. Maybe the two events are linked. Either way it's a blow to the Blues, because he's a good hockey guy.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Banned

likely linked to stillman coming in. rumoured for a long time...
    sounds like they wanted to change his role to more of a front office thing as opposed to hands on hockey operations (at least that is what was rumoured a few months ago) and JD wasn't interested in that kind of job... either way, while he will be missed, armstrong was and is the key cog in running the blues. best of luck to JD - he will land on his feet somewhere....

and FWIW - there had been rumours before that the team would let JD go and hitchcock would take on his operations role in a year or two when he is done with coaching...

Dobber Sports Icon

Heard rumblings about this a while ago - JD really turned the franchise around. I am sure he will find another management position with an NHL team. Or maybe back in the broadcast booth? He's great at both.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I hope he goes back to TV. He's one of the best analysts I've ever heard. He was great on HNIC hotstove too.
    Yeah I agree, I enjoyed listening to him as well.
    REDRUM
    -roto - 10 team - keep 20 of 24 - G, A, PTS, +/-, PIM, PPG, PPA, W, SV, SV%

C - Nathan MacKinnon, Aleksander Barkov, Nick Bjugstad, Jonathon Huberdeau
    LW - Evander Kane, Jaden Schwartz, Brayden Schenn, Chris Kreider, Jonathon Drouin, Sven Baertchi
    RW - Kyle Okposo, Valeri Nichushkin, Gustav Nyquist, Chris Stewart
    D - Oliver Ekman Larsson, Dougie Hamilton, Viktor Hedman, Kevin Shattenkirk, Erik Johnson
    G - Jonathon Bernier, Sergei Bobrovsky, Darcy Kuemper, Robin Lehner

Dobber Sports Stud

Forget broadcasting! He has the hockey sense and brains to replace that hockey hating puppet known as Gary Bettman.

Seriously, he is qualified and respected and would put the game first, IMO.

BTW, it was a surprise to me to. I believe he's from Calgary. I could see him taking over operations for King.

Banned

i know he talked to columbus earlier, but nothing came of it at the time...
    there's a team that could sure use a guy like JD on staff.

Dobber Sports Ninja

He should go beat up Steve Tambellini in a barn and take his job!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    He should go beat up Steve Tambellini in a barn and take his job!
    Watch out for Kevin Lowe hiding behind the haystacks. I could easily see him come in with a chair and a few lowblows while Tambo distracts the ref with one of his patented shit-eating grins.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Veteran

In order to have J.D. as the lifelong commish of the NHL, I'd be willing to cut off one of my own toes. Who's willing to raise me a foot?
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Deity

From what I read the ownership came in looking to cut costs and his contract was deemed "too expensive". They probably told him to jump ship or get pushed and he chose the high ground and simply resigned before getting fired. It certainly had nothing to do with his performance as he took a struggling franchise over and really played a key part in turning it around to respectability again. He was simply caught in the middle of the all mighty dollar and lost.

I have no doubt he will land on his feet again, and once the lockout is over, I dont expect him to be unemployed for long.

Like someone else mentioned earlier, a return to the broadcast booth would certainly be a welcome to most hockey fans but I think he's proven himself worthy of a higher position then that.

I too would love to see him go to the Oilers and grab the reins of a horse that could use his quality of leadership.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    From what I read the ownership came in looking to cut costs and his contract was deemed "too expensive". They probably told him to jump ship or get pushed and he chose the high ground and simply resigned before getting fired. It certainly had nothing to do with his performance as he took a struggling franchise over and really played a key part in turning it around to respectability again. He was simply caught in the middle of the all mighty dollar and lost.

I have no doubt he will land on his feet again, and once the lockout is over, I dont expect him to be unemployed for long.

Like someone else mentioned earlier, a return to the broadcast booth would certainly be a welcome to most hockey fans but I think he's proven himself worthy of a higher position then that.

I too would love to see him go to the Oilers and grab the reins of a horse that could use his quality of leadership.
    This is exactly what happened. Though he also has mentioned spending more time with his family.
    Man what a gem he would be for turning around that CLB franchise. And yeah he was the best ever on hot stove.