Thread: Spiller's trade value - would you trade a 1st rounder for him?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Spiller's trade value - would you trade a 1st rounder for him?

Hey gents,

A GM in my pool who has started the year is flipping out a bit as he's 0-2 and has decided to unload Spiller for a 1st rounder (won't do it for anything less or add in another player as Spiller would be his keeper so he's pretty firm on the price). I'm contemplating making this offer.

It's a 12-team keep 2 league so that'll give you an idea of what that 1st will exactly be. My two keepers are Megatron and Foster so I wouldn't keep Spiller beyond this year, just use his (hopefully great) value this year. Would you guys unload a 1st for him, or do you think that's too risky of a deal given the fact FJax will be back in a couple of weeks. I'm also thinking that if I trade my 1st I might be better off unloading it for a WR instead of a RB given my current team, or if I do this deal, I could always trade K.Smith/A.Morris for WR help.

Would love to hear feedback on this. Thanks!

Here's my current team:
    QB - Brees
    RB - Foster
    RB - K.Smith
    FLEX - A.Morris
    WR - Megatron
    WR - Maclin
    WR - Blackmon
    TE - Celek
    ----
    RB BN - D.Wilson, R.Jennings
    WR BN - M.Williams(TB), M.Manningham S.Moss, R.Streater
    TE BN - Witten
    Last edited by PocketRockets05; September 20, 2012 at 10:18 AM.
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRockets05 View Post
    Hey gents,

A GM in my pool who has started the year is flipping out a bit as he's 0-2 and has decided to unload Spiller for a 1st rounder. I'm contemplating making this offer.

It's a 12-team keep 2 league so that'll give you an idea of what that 1st will exactly be. My two keepers are Megatron and Foster so I wouldn't keep Spiller beyond this year, just use his (hopefully great) value this year. Would you guys unload a 1st for him, or do you think that's too risky of a deal given the fact FJax will be back in a couple of weeks. I'm also thinking that if I trade my 1st I might be better off unloading it for a WR instead of a RB given my current team, or if I do this deal, I could always trade K.Smith/A.Morris for WR help.

Would love to hear feedback on this. Thanks!

Here's my current team:
    QB - Brees
    RB - Foster
    RB - K.Smith
    FLEX - A.Morris
    WR - Megatron
    WR - Maclin
    WR - Blackmon
    TE - Celek
    ----
    RB BN - D.Wilson, R.Jennings
    WR BN - M.Williams(TB), M.Manningham S.Moss, R.Streater
    TE BN - Witten

I think in your shoes I pull the trigger on this if you think it puts you up there with legitimate shot at winning it all.

Spiller is going to have a huge year, and even when Jackson comes back he'll get lots of touches and (more importantly) he'll do lots when he gets the ball (lots of YPC). He is more of an all-around threat than Jackson, with screens and dump passes. My feeling is either way, even with Jackson back, you're looking at 1,000+ yards rushing and another 300+ receiving, and that's probably on the conservative side. In short, he is a great complement to Foster on your squad (certainly better than Smith or Morris in that regard).

As for the 1st rounder, it seems to me it makes no difference to you from a keeper perspective - it sounds like you're a contending team, and if so your 1st rounder will not be very high, and it's in any event highly unlikely that even with a high draft choice that you could draft someone better than Foster or C Johnson. So really what the 1st rounder does is hurt your chances to win NEXT year, but hey, that's the definition of "going for it", you have to give up picks (and therefore hurt yourself in future years) to get help now, and that's what you're doing. This is why I would advocate this only if it gives you that legit shot at the big prize this year.

Hope that helps.

UPDATE: This is assuming it's standard Yahoo scoring categories. Also, I agree with you that you're not too strong at WR after Megatron, so if you can get an elite receive for that 1st rounder, I'd consider that as well and probably pull the trigger given that there is some uncertainty regarding Spiller's role when Jackson returns (I don't think it will impact Spiller too much, for reasons I've stated above, but it is nonetheless uncertain).
    Last edited by ross10019; September 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper