Thread: Pricer's Picks - Q&A with a fantasy football veteran

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Pricer's Picks - Q&A with a fantasy football veteran

Hi guys,

I'm new on the writer staff and will be putting out a weekly Q&A column for Dobber Football where I answer some of your questions each Friday. At some point it should be getting it's own forum, but for now post your questions in this thread.

The questions can be anything relating to fantasy football or football in general. Sit/start advice, trade advice, commissioner questions, league disputes, dynasty and keeper league issues, IDP advice, or anything else in the realm of football and fantasy football; I've got you covered.

If your question doesn't make the weekly article, I will still answer each question in the forum.

You can also shoot questions my way on twitter. Follow @MPricer

I'm looking forward to helping you guys with your fantasy football questions this season!
    Last edited by Matt Price; September 13, 2012 at 6:23 PM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Price View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm new on the writer staff and will be putting out a weekly Q&A column for Dobber Football where I answer some of your questions each Friday. At some point it should be getting it's own forum, but for now post your questions in this thread.

The questions can be anything relating to fantasy football or football in general. Sit/start advice, trade advice, commissioner questions, league disputes, dynasty and keeper league issues, IDP advice, or anything else in the realm of football and fantasy football; I've got you covered.

If your question doesn't make the weekly article, I will still answer each question in the forum.

You can also shoot questions my way on twitter as well @MPricer.

I'm looking forward to helping you guys with your fantasy football questions this season!
    Hi Matt, welcome aboard. Okay. Here's one for you.

Standard Yahoo settings

I need two starting Wrs and a flex from the following:

AJ Green vs Cle
    Maclin - INJ vs Balt
    Jeffery vs. GB
    Cobb vs. Chi
    Blackmon vs. Hou
    A. Morris vs. StL

Thanks in advance.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    Hi Matt, welcome aboard. Okay. Here's one for you.

Standard Yahoo settings

I need two starting Wrs and a flex from the following:

AJ Green vs Cle
    Maclin - INJ vs Balt
    Jeffery vs. GB
    Cobb vs. Chi
    Blackmon vs. Hou
    A. Morris vs. StL

Thanks in advance.
    Since you have a decision to make about tonight's game I'll go ahead and answer this here and now.

Yahoo standard scoring does not include points per receptions so you are looking for big play type receivers that have a higher chance to score a touchdown.

Looking at your WR options, A.J Green is definitely at the top of the list. He is a must start every week. If Maclin is a go, then I think he has to be in there at WR2. Jeffery and Cobb are definitely flex options and I wouldn't be surprised to see either with a nice stat line tonight. If Maclin is out though, I would roll with Cobb who should see some extra looks tonight with Greg Jennings likely not playing.

I'm going with Alfred Morris at the flex. I like him so much this week against the beleaguered Rams that I am him as a solid RB2 option and a fantastic flex. He should be good for at least 80 yards with a great shot at a touchdown. We always have to be prepared for Shanahanigans, but I think Morris getting 28 carries last week shows us that he is going to get the lion's share of the workload until he falters.
    Last edited by Matt Price; September 13, 2012 at 6:21 PM.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Since you have a decision to make about tonight's game I'll go ahead and answer this here and now.

Yahoo standard scoring does not include points per receptions so you are looking for big play type receivers that have a higher chance to score a touchdown.

Looking at your WR options, A.J Green is definitely at the top of the list. He is a must start every week. If Maclin is a go, then I think he has to be in there at WR2. Jeffery and Cobb are definitely flex options and I wouldn't be surprised to see either with a nice stat line tonight. If Maclin is out though, I would roll with Cobb who should see some extra looks tonight with Greg Jennings likely not playing.

I'm going with Alfred Morris at the flex. I like him so much this week against the beleaguered Rams that I am him as a solid RB2 option and a fantastic flex. He should be good for at least 80 yards with a great shot at a touchdown. We always have to be prepared for Shanahanigans, but I think Morris getting 28 carries last week shows us that he is going to get the lion's share of the workload until he falters.

Excellent. Thank you. I have Demarco Murray and Jamaal Charles at RB1 and RB2. I had planned to put Morris at the flex. I agree about Maclin, but I know hip flexors are nasty. If he plays, I just don't know hiw effective he'll be, so i was torn between Jeffery and Cobb.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Ace

Paning for RB.

Thanks for doing this. What is your thought on Ingram. Will he become fantasy viable or should drop. We are a deep league with 8 bench so right now the ww Rbs available are Shaun Draun and Curtis Brinkley.
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli

Dobber Sports Veteran

Would you start M Floyd over Bryant or A Brown? Standard Yahoo scoring (not PPR).
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Quote Originally Posted by MJ Flex View Post
    Paning for RB.

Thanks for doing this. What is your thought on Ingram. Will he become fantasy viable or should drop. We are a deep league with 8 bench so right now the ww Rbs available are Shaun Draun and Curtis Brinkley.
    I think Ingram is a hold, especially giving your options on the WW if those really are the best options. What's available at other positions?

My concern with Ingram (and Pierre Thomas for that matter) is that if the Saints defense plays like it did last week then they will be playing in a lot of high scoring track meets like the one last week against Washington. In games like these Ingram will be essentially useless. I think at this point if he doesn't score a TD then you will not get the points out of him you would expect.

So for now hold on to him, but be ready to cut him for the WW flavor of the week at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    Would you start M Floyd over Bryant or A Brown? Standard Yahoo scoring (not PPR).
    Assuming that is Malcom Floyd WR SD and not Michael Floyd WR ARI I would start him over Antonio Brown. In non-ppr you gotta start the guys with a higher chance for a touchdown and for this week I think the slight edge goes to Malcom Floyd. It's a coin flip really though.

Definitely not over Dez Bryant. He looked focused last week and seems ready to play up to his potential which is considerable. We could very well be talking about him in the same tier as Andre Johnsonand Larry Fitzgerald at this time next season.

If it was my team, I'd go with Malcom Floyd over Antonio Brown this week, but it really is very close.

Dobber Sports Icon

Thanks for this thread, very helpful.

Yahoo standard league and start 2RB and 3WR (no flex).

This week I'm starting for sure:

RB - Peterson (v Colts)
    WR: A Johnson and Decker

For 2nd RB it's between Spiller and Lynch. I'm tending towards Spiller but tough decision.

For 3rd WR it's Garcon (if foot injury doesn't sideline him), Lafell or Meachem. right now I've got LaFell assuming Garcon's out (Smith may be out which makes LaFell no 1 WR).

Just fyi I've got Brady at QB and Hernandez starting at TE.

Thanks!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Thanks for this thread, very helpful.

Yahoo standard league and start 2RB and 3WR (no flex).

This week I'm starting for sure:

RB - Peterson (v Colts)
    WR: A Johnson and Decker

For 2nd RB it's between Spiller and Lynch. I'm tending towards Spiller but tough decision.

For 3rd WR it's Garcon (if foot injury doesn't sideline him), Lafell or Meachem. right now I've got LaFell assuming Garcon's out (Smith may be out which makes LaFell no 1 WR).

Just fyi I've got Brady at QB and Hernandez starting at TE.

Thanks!
    I think you are spot on here. I think Lynch has the better chance at a goal line touchdown but Spiller is my RB5 this week behind only Foster, McFadden, Rice, and Peterson. Nice backfield you have there.

As for the WRs, I think Garçon will play. But if
    not ten LaFell is definitely the play. Steve Smith will play, but that makes LaFell an even better start because he won't draw the #1 cornerback.

Dobber Sports Icon

I think you are spot on here. I think Lynch has the better chance at a goal line touchdown but Spiller is my RB5 this week behind only Foster, McFadden, Rice, and Peterson. Nice backfield you have there.

As for the WRs, I think Garçon will play. But if
    not ten LaFell is definitely the play. Steve Smith will play, but that makes LaFell an even better start because he won't draw the #1 cornerback.

Thanks Matt.

LaFell is great for precisely that reason, he'll have so much more room if Smith is in the lineup, he's a monster. That TD passing play with Newton last week was a thing of beauty, I expect we'll see lots of plays just like that this year where Smith is covered and Newton ends up finding LaFell. The ramble the other day was so on point in this regard.

As for the backfield, yeah it's shaping up pretty nice especially now that Peterson is looking like he'll be able to hit the ground running (so to speak) and just get better and better, and I got him in the 4th round (!). Plus I also have McGahee and just picked up Bush as RB backups - both those guys should be impact players, especially Bush with Forte out with high ankle sprain (those injuries are brutal, it can take months and months for the player to recover to 100%).

I am actually looking to trade McGahee and a good WR (maybe Decker) to pick up a top end WR (maybe even a Calvin Johnson) given my depth at RB.

Thanks again, rep to you!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Which two of these receivers would you play this Sunday, scoring is .5 per reception, 20 yds = 1 point, TD = 6 points and 30 return yds = 1 point.

Emannuel Sanders
    Brian Hartline
    Titus Young
    Eddie Royal
    Alshon Jeffery

I currently have M. Wallace, Hartline and Jeffery in, would you change it?

Thanks,
    Last edited by TrueNorth; September 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM.
    12 team Keeper Head to Head: (10 Keepers)
    G,A,P,+/-,PPP,GWG,PIM,W,SV%,GAA,SO

Duchene - C,
    Marleau, Benn, Ovy - LW
    Eberle,P.Kane, - RW
    Green, Yandle - D
    Price, Rinne - G

Quote Originally Posted by Leafs2014 View Post
    Which two of these receivers would you play this Sunday, scoring is .5 per reception, 20 yds = 1 point, TD = 6 points and 30 return yds = 1 point.

Emannuel Sanders
    Brian Hartline
    Titus Young
    Eddie Royal
    Alshon Jeffery

I currently have M. Wallace, Hartline and Jeffery in, would you change it?

Thanks,
    answering this in the week 3 thread