Thread: Analyze My First Ever Draft

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Analyze My First Ever Draft

Hey Dobberites, I am looking for some feedback on how my team looks after just completing my first ever fantasy football draft.

10 team, start 2 QB, standard scoring (4 yards passing TD, 6 Running TD)

Start: 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1 DEF Bench: 6 positions

I drafted 8th overall in the snake draft, with all teams required to fill their starting roster before drafting any bench players. Here's my team

QB1: Drew Brees - 1st round (ecstatic to get top tier QB at 8 spot)
    QB2: Tony Romo - 3rd round (started the QB run, liked this pick in 2 QB setup)
    RB1: Chris Johnson -2nd round (very happy to snag him on the way back)
    RB2: DeMarco Murray - 4th round
    WR1: Brandon Marshall - 5th round
    WR2: Hakeem Nicks - 6th round
    WR3: Jeremy Machlin - 8th Round
    TE: Jermichael Finley - 7th Round
    K: Rob Bironas - 9th round
    DEF: New England -10 round

Bench: QB: Matt Cassel
    QB: Tim Tebow (final pick, why the hell not)
    RB: Donald Brown
    WR: Robert Meachum
    WR: Randall Cobb
    TE :Brent Celek

I'm pretty happy with my first three picks, and felt I got great value there. Not too sure after this as I don't know much about a lot of these guys. I'd love to hear some analysis of where I'm looking good, and what areas will need improvement. Thanks!
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Hey Dobberites, I am looking for some feedback on how my team looks after just completing my first ever fantasy football draft.

I drafted 8th overall in the snake draft, with all teams required to fill their starting roster before drafting any bench players. Here's my team

I'm pretty happy with my first three picks, and felt I got great value there. Not too sure after this as I don't know much about a lot of these guys. I'd love to hear some analysis of where I'm looking good, and what areas will need improvement. Thanks!
    Solid team got 2 great QBs as starters. Starters are all good, but I would drop one of the QBs to get a better back up RB. Take a flyer on a backup in case a starter gets hurt.
    Semi-retired

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Solid team, not bad at all for a first ever draft. Having two top 10 QBs is huge.

I would drop both of your backup QBs and pick up 2 more RBs. I've never been a supporter of rostering a backup QB, unless they have the potential to have a great year or your starter is a second tier guy. That does not apply for either of your starters or either of your backups. You will only use your backup QBs if someone gets hurt and when Brees/Romo have byes. When those bye weeks come along, you can probably find a QB to scoop off the waiver wire who will have a decent matchup to plug in (if Cassel fits this description, hang on to him), but Tebow is a wasted roster space. He's not even getting drafted in deep 14 team leagues.

With the way RB is this season it is essential to have depth. If one of your top 2 RBs go down, you can kiss the season goodbye. In a 10-team league, I am sure there is still some talent on the waiver wire. A handful of RBs who are starting week 1 definitely will not be starters in a few weeks. Stocking up on RBs this season is going to be very important.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Love this team, I'd expect you to have a great shot at top 3.
    I agree with others, I'd drop one QB (Tebow) and grab another RB.

Nice draft!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Is Russell Wilson available on the wire? I prefer him to both CAssel and Tebow. And I would easily keep a third QB on a roster where you start two, it would be negligent to expect a decent QB to be on the wire if one of your big guns goes down week 10.

And, as all others have stated, you definitely need to address your RB situation .
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks for all the great feedback guys, greatly appreciated, + rep to all! I'm encouraged that you all think that my team has some promise.....my strategy was to have strong QB's in the 2QB format, I let the draft come to me and glad it turned out that way it did and that you all agree that this is a strength of my team.

I wasn't sure how to deal with my bench spots as this was my first year, and snagged Tebow more as trade bait than anything in case he wins over the starting job (there are some real Tebow lovers in my league).

That said, I see what you mean about the wasted roster spot......I will definitely drop him and snag another RB. In the late stages of the draft, I really didn't recognize or know anything about the RBs available.....I will definitely need a hand choosing who to pick up. My commish should have everything entered into Yahoo today, and I can report back with who is available on the waiver wire. I'm limited to 16 moves for the season, so I want to make sure to not waste any moves. Maybe it would be better to sit tight for a week or two and see what RB's emerge and wait for a little more clarity on who is worth grabbing?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Veteran

And no, Russell Wilson is not available.....Cassel was by far the best option by the time pretty much everyone took QB's with their first bench draft position. I will be dropping Tebow as mentioned above, but there are no real options available on the wire to cover bye weeks (not to mention we have limited moves and dont want to have to use 2 to grab QBs on 2 bye weeks). As a result Cassel will definitely have to stay on my roster....if one of my big 2 QB's got hurt and I didn't have a viable starter on my bench, I'd be screwed.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Good draft. Damn good draft!
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    Good draft. Damn good draft!
    Thanks a lot! I relied pretty heavily on the Dobber guide, hopefully it serves me well

Dobber Sports Wizard

Thanks a lot! I relied pretty heavily on the Dobber guide, hopefully it serves me well
    It's impossible to have the perfect team. Every team has a weakness. Your point of worry Is your Def. NE has a very weak secondary. What Defs are available?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Sweet

I like what you've done - your first 8 rounds were pretty flawless. You did bone up a little wasting a 9th round pick on a kicker (none are ever worth that... last 2 rounds you think kicker - maybe last 3 if you're getting all antsy)

You'd have been so much further ahead to have an extra QB/RB/WR/TE instead of Bironas over Medlock or Zeuerlein (or whoever you could have gotten very late) (though I see now you HAD to fill your starting spots - lame rule!!!)

I tend to agree with what's being said - Cassel and Tebow are weak-muffins but in your 2 QB league not many people are going to have starting backups and you have that in Cassel. You can't drop him.

Tebow, on the other hand appears to be a fullback who occasionally shotputs the ball into the air for a 50/50 chance his own team catches it instead of the other. I'd ditch him pretty quickly and try to find one of those late season gamble plays that shore up a position - maybe Jahvid Best (could be a top 20 RB for the second half) or ?? Depends on who else you have available.

You might even consider looking at the backup QB's who would be studs - someone like Shaun Hill playing behind the fragile Stafford would step into a pretty sweet car and might be worth rostering in a league like yours.

Overall - a great A- to your draft - your starters are really quite excellent all over. Just keep eyes open for depth development!

Good luck

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dyv View Post
    I like what you've done - your first 8 rounds were pretty flawless. You did bone up a little wasting a 9th round pick on a kicker (none are ever worth that... last 2 rounds you think kicker - maybe last 3 if you're getting all antsy)

You'd have been so much further ahead to have an extra QB/RB/WR/TE instead of Bironas over Medlock or Zeuerlein (or whoever you could have gotten very late) (though I see now you HAD to fill your starting spots - lame rule!!!)

I tend to agree with what's being said - Cassel and Tebow are weak-muffins but in your 2 QB league not many people are going to have starting backups and you have that in Cassel. You can't drop him.

Tebow, on the other hand appears to be a fullback who occasionally shotputs the ball into the air for a 50/50 chance his own team catches it instead of the other. I'd ditch him pretty quickly and try to find one of those late season gamble plays that shore up a position - maybe Jahvid Best (could be a top 20 RB for the second half) or ?? Depends on who else you have available.

You might even consider looking at the backup QB's who would be studs - someone like Shaun Hill playing behind the fragile Stafford would step into a pretty sweet car and might be worth rostering in a league like yours.

Overall - a great A- to your draft - your starters are really quite excellent all over. Just keep eyes open for depth development!

Good luck
    Thanks for the input! We have a rule that all starting players must be drafted before the bench, that is why the kicker and defence were drafted where they were, I left them till the last possible moment.

I'll take everyone's advice and look to tweak my bench via the waiver wire....I agree that I could use some depth, especially at RB.

Greatly appreciated, thanks!

Dobber Sports Veteran

So a quick update: my gamble of selecting Tebow as trade-bait for the fanboys in my league payed off.....managed to trade him straight up for Russel Wilson. Far more upside there, that's for sure.

I'm still going to watch the waiver wire for RBs, but I'm not in a huge hurry after making this trade.......I now have 4 starting QB in a start 2QB league where 3 owners do not have a legitimate starter as a third QB to cover bye weeks/injuries. I can now wait for a week or two and dangle one of Cassel and/or Wilson for another RB when owners start stressing about the bye weeks and the stock of these guys goes up.

Sound strategy?