Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: sim hockey

Dobber Sports Stud

Default sim hockey

anyone on this site interested in simulation hockey ?

a few different programs out there.

I have always been a fan since the lunch pail guys are major factors in sim.

what program do you use ?

anyone interested in joining a league ?

I know a few that use apba.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

I...am your father.

Default sim hockey

How does it work? Can you describe what it entails a little?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Stud

Default sim hockey

yes sure.

I think that perhaps the best way to think of sim hockey is to imagine the old stratomatic system. Each player gets a card which attempts to mimic his stats. For example his shooting percentage, propensity to take matching minors or his save percentage.

Each player is then placed on a team with 20 players and the lines are decided upon by the coach (you)

the sim software then compares lines with a randomizer for puck control, how many forecheckers you have if they are playing physically, the ability of the player in possession of the puck to maintain control or the defending player to take possession etc etc. Shots are compared to goalie ratings.

depending on the program there is either a text based system or digitial rendering of the action.

What I really like about sim hockey is how guys like Scott Hannan (who is a horse) are major factors in sim hockey.

There are some great leagues out there.

I use APBA which is freeware and each year a group of geeks create the cards from scratch, crunch the numbers and tweaks the ratings. Then sim the new (sim) season from last (NHL) seasons ratings.

you can see one of my leagues here

http://www.billcorfield.com/CCHL/

another great aspect of sim is historical seasons. Right now I am enjoying the 1981 season in another league.

NHL.COM is pimping a sim program, but I think APBA is the best available but there are others.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default sim hockey

Is that the same Sim league they keep advertising on TSN ? I have played it before, interesting.
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

I...am your father.

Default sim hockey

so does it move in real time? Or just spit out a result? Sounds like eastside manager

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Stud

Default sim hockey

It is NOT eastside.

I don\'t like eastside.

apba is a \"live\" sim text based Old school sim. Its great stuff and there are some great leagues out there.

the support site is

http://www.apbahockey.com/

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default sim hockey

haha ive been playing eastside, its currently 2016, and malkin retired due to an injury earlier, as advised by his doctor. just a tip to all fantasy owners who have malkin, he\'ll be gone by 2014:laugh:

Dobber Sports Stud

Default sim hockey

well what is important is that you like it. Eastside is not my cup of tea, but obviously it is yours.

I like apba because I rate the entire league every year. The leagues have some great folks playing in them and its FREE.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default sim hockey

I have been playing in an FHLsim league for a few years now and it\'s great fun.

Little things can make such a huge difference in a sim league.

For example, this year I added Chris Neil and Chad Kilger at the deadline and since rejigging my lines a little bit I have not lost a game. I\'m now looking to make the playoffs for the first time.

Tons of fun and quite a bit different from regular fantasy leagues.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default sim hockey

I am in a great FHL league right now, and finally am reaping the rewards of a terrific rebuild. FHL is a ton of fun (very different from fantasy hockey), but I would definitely recommend it.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

I...am your father.

Default sim hockey

Are you in apba Angus?
    Sounds like fun, maybe I will join - you can\'t beat \"free\".

So if you spend an hour on it, how many games go by?
    B)

Dobber Sports Stud

Default sim hockey

It would depend on the pace of the sim... you set the pace.

If you want to make all the coaching decisions... dump in ? match lines ? change lines ? then the game can take longer. If you just want to import the 2 teams lines and watch the sim.... then you can also adjust the rate of the play.

Fast play ? maybe 2 minutes and the game is done. The sim puts out text based files which are easily posted to websites. The league link I posted earlier has 100 days or sim stats including ice time, hits, corners won, fights, passes, faceoffs won and lost etc etc etc.

Maybe the average time to run a sim game if you want to read the play is about 5 minutes for an entire game.

you set the forecheck level. You set the physical play on or off. You decide the number of shifts. When a player exceeds his avg ice time for his card his stats drop off and he is more prone to taking a penalty.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default sim hockey

so if you spend an hour on it ?

hmm maybe 20 games.

Dobber Sports Genius

Default sim hockey

Apba looks good ...

Is it free ?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default sim hockey

of course free

www.apbahockey.com