Thread: Week 1 flex position help - REP

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Week 1 flex position help - REP

I believe this is my first "football-related" post. I'm looking for advice on who to start in a flex spot (can be WR, TE, RB) for week 1. Normally I think I'd go with Kenny Britt, but he's suspended. Here are the options:

Adrian Peterson, RB Min vs. Jac (Is he even close to ready, or will this be a 5-7 carry day?)

Justin Blackmon WR Jac vs. Min

Jacob Tamme TE Den vs. Pit (The Steelers....not the perfect way to start for Manning)

Greg Little WR Cle vs. Phi (the current leader)

Michael Crabtree WR SF vs. GB (Alex Smith vs. the Packers' secondary...hmm...)

Evan Royster RB WSH vs. NO (my sleeper)

All advice appreciated. Rep to those who give me a quick analysis explaining their choice.

Good luck this season!
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

C - Crosby, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eichel, Johansen
    LW - E. Kane, Drouin, Schenn, Miller, Foligno, Zucker
    RW - Wheeler, Stone, Lindholm, Oshie, Tolvanen
    D - Karlsson, Carlson, Dumba, Nurse, Ceci, Pionk, Larsson, Montour
    G - Murray, Quick, Koskinen, Blackwood, Georgiev

Minors - Turcotte, Bouchard, Kaprizov

Dobber Sports Initiate

tough one...I think I would pay close attention to the lineups on sunday and go with Royster if he is listed as the starter. If the news are bad (or non-existing) I would switch to Tamme and hope Peyton can work his old magic.

I dont really like Little against an improved Eagles secondary, so would sit him in week 1.

Oh, and the packers secondary is really not that good. Crabtree might actually be the best choice...
    14 Team Dynasty League
    5 C's, 8 W's, 5 D's, 2G's - 3 Prospects.

Scoring
    F: Goals(3) Assists(2)
    D: Goals(4) Assist(3)
    G: W(3) Saves(0.15) Goal Against(-0.75) Shutout(2)

C: Datsyuk, Grabovski, Backstrom, Bergeron, Bozak
    W: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, P Kane, Hall, Sharp, Kessel, Nash, Silfverberg
    D: Enstrom, Letang, Kronwall, Faulk, Chara
    G: Miller, Price

IR:
    Prospects: Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Shore

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks. Royster is in the lead, but it's pretty tough. You never mentioned Blackmon, and he's a tempting choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ynotzz View Post
    Oh, and the packers secondary is really not that good. Crabtree might actually be the best choice...
    As a life-long 49er fan, I hope you're right. However I am still skeptical about the Niners air attack.....which is more related to my assessment of Alex Smith then it is to my thoughts on the Packers' secondary.

I haven't watched Cleveland or Jacksonville play in more than 2 years, so I'm nervous about starting any of their players.
    10-team Keeper. Everyone keeps 12 + 1 G + 3 "young keepers" (players with less than 164 NHL games played), and 1G. Points for G (2), A (2), PIM (.2), Hit (.2), Blk (.2) SHP(1), W(4), SO(8) Must dress 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G

Dobber Sports Initiate

If you are skeptical of Smith throwing the ball, you shouldnt watch Jaguars and Gabbert. With the MJD situation the Vikings can go a little easier on the run and shut down the Jags passing game, which is pretty bad even anyway.

They might be better this year but I would wait a week or two to see how Blackmon is doing. The additions of Manningham and Moss will hopefully give Smith more targets and create some space for Crabtree.
    14 Team Dynasty League
    5 C's, 8 W's, 5 D's, 2G's - 3 Prospects.

Scoring
    F: Goals(3) Assists(2)
    D: Goals(4) Assist(3)
    G: W(3) Saves(0.15) Goal Against(-0.75) Shutout(2)

C: Datsyuk, Grabovski, Backstrom, Bergeron, Bozak
    W: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, P Kane, Hall, Sharp, Kessel, Nash, Silfverberg
    D: Enstrom, Letang, Kronwall, Faulk, Chara
    G: Miller, Price

IR:
    Prospects: Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Shore

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
    I believe this is my first "football-related" post. I'm looking for advice on who to start in a flex spot (can be WR, TE, RB) for week 1. Normally I think I'd go with Kenny Britt, but he's suspended. Here are the options:

Adrian Peterson, RB Min vs. Jac (Is he even close to ready, or will this be a 5-7 carry day?)

Jacob Tamme TE Den vs. Pit (The Steelers....not the perfect way to start for Manning)

All advice appreciated. Rep to those who give me a quick analysis explaining their choice.

Good luck this season!

1. Tamme - I think the Steelers will be fired up after losing in Den last year. With that said, Ryan Clark won't be playing and this hurts Troy and will prevent him from blitzing as much. He's still a ball hawk. I think this makes it harder for Den's WRs and creates space for Tamme. I can see Pittsburgh's backers creating enough pressure that Manning will have to check down to Tamme with quick passes.
    2. Blackmon - I have him as a wait and see. But he is clearly the #1 WR and a freak. He and Gabbert have clicked in the preseason. Jennings is good enough that Min will have to respect the run. Also, MJD will get some snaps. MJD out of the backfield can create enoigh pressure on a defense. Also, don't forget, Jax has a big TE - Mercedes Lewis who may help free up some space.
    3. Crabtree - I like where he's at ahead of Blackman from an experience persective, but I see Davis as SF's #1 pass option. If Moss has limited snaps, I fully expect CHARLES WOODSON on Crabtree, and that is a bad, bad thing.
    4. Little - Some garbage numbers is what I see as Cle should be down. Buf I don't think the #s will justify a start over the aforementioned.
    5. Royster - Deserves to be last, but Peterson is not right. Never trust a Shanahan back. That's RB by unpredictable committee - slow death, homie.
    6. Peterson - He's not right.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks one87. Today I saw that Royster is #1 on the depth chart....I'm not as afraid of Shanny as most are. A couple of seasons back picking up Ryan Torain helped get me into the playoffs.

I already have Demarious (spelling??) Thomas in for Denver, so I'm a little afraid of putting Tamme in for fear of having too many eggs in one basket. I take your point though (but I don't know who "Troy" is). Currently Blackmon is in the lead....but you've given me something to think about. I will pay closer attention as game-day approaches.

Nate Washington is sitting as a free agent, but I don't have anyone to drop.

Too many choices, and there's always a ton of uncertainty on opening day.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

You guys are all crazy.

Is this a PPR?? If not, why are you considering Tamme? His value has dropped since the beginning of camp & dreessen I believe is 1st on the depth chart right now.

If you can find out Royster is going to get the majority of catches, then he's the man. The reason I tended to stay away from any of the WAS RB's is that it's impossible to know. I could see a situation where Alfred Morris starts, dominates and gets 20 touches. OR He sucks the first 2 carries and it's Royster the rest of the way. I don't think shanahan even knows.

Not worth peterson this week.

So to me, on your roster, it's a coinflip between Blackmon & Little and I would go blackmon. Blackmon has looked good, and they play against minny, nuff said.

Aaaand finally what my actual advice would be is to drop crabtree or tamme for washington. He will be the best week 1 flex option(aside from royster if you think he'll get the majority of touches) with britt gone. There's no reason to have 2 TE's if your other TE is strong. And crabtree again, just another guy like royster where you'll never know when he is going to go off & wide receiver is crazy deep.
    16team H2H Keeper league. 12F, 6D, 2G & 5BN.. 4IR
    G ,A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    F:, Brouwer, Carter, Clarkson, Crosby, Datsyuk, Hemsky, Johansson, J.Jokinen, Kopitar, Lee, Lindholm, Michalek, Rick Nash, Reider, E.Staal
    D: Zidlicky, Green, Streit, Hamonic, Weber, Gudas
    G: Smith, Rinne, Greiss, Brossoit
    Farm(Lottery tickets): Bjorkstrand, Deangelo, Dvorak, Nylander, Voynov

Dobber Sports Padawan

I'd pick up Washington and start him. For the TE as suggested above. Wright is their other starter this week and he will probably have rookie jitters.

Blackmon is good advice because the Vikings secondary is horrid as usual, but Gabbert is a flunkie I would never trust.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Achilles View Post

Good luck this season!

Tamme and Bkackmon are the best two options. I said Tamme in earlier post, but after looking at the numbers and situations, i'd go Blackmon. Denver recievers have the toughest pass matchup among all teams. Historically, the Steelers struggle with TEs, but Mannkng isn't the most mobile and the Steelers may collapse the pocket.

Blackmon is the #1 pass option against the third easiest pass matchup. Besides this, the dude is a freak,and sometimes that means matchups don't matter. MJD will also have a limited roll.

Go with Blackmon. Him and Gabbert have been hooking up big time in the pre-season. I know it's Jax, but they can't be bad forever. At some point in time, a franchise's fortion will change if you draft good players. I believe Gabbert and Blackmon are just that.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury