Thread: Fantasy Football Newbie - Draft Strategy Help Needed

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Fantasy Football Newbie - Draft Strategy Help Needed

Hi!

I am an exoerienced fantasy hockey guy, and with the lockout looming I thought I'd have a crack at fantasy football.....I purchased the Dobber guide but since out league uses expanded line-ups and I have VERY limited football IQ, I am looking to get any and all insight on some draft stratgey.

Details:

10 team H2H Yahoo! league
    Standard Yahoo point system

Roster: 2 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF and 6 bench spots

I've done some reading on draft strategy, but cant find anything that would cover this kind of setup, and I'm assuming the expanded rosters would change things significantly. I'm looking for any and all info.....where in the draft to take positions, how to allocate bench spots. I'm building from scratch here, so any advice is greatly appreciated (no matter how obvious it may seem to you).

Thanks!!!!
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Veteran

RB is a position you really need to focus on early in the draft this year. There are very few RBs out there who are clear cut #1s and of the ones that are available half of them have huge question marks around them. Out of curiosity what is the scoring system for QBs? I remember last year we used Yahoo standard (I believe) and it was 20 pass yds/point. This heavily tilted the league in favor of the teams that had Rodgers, Brady and Brees.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Demi-God

My Newbie season was last year and I didn't do so well.
    Your league is interesting because you start 2QB.

I can equate this a little bit to hockey goalies.
    Every team has a #1 QB and there's almost zero chance that a back-up QB (or "G") is going to have any significance during the regular season. So, getting two solid QBs is important, but not critical.

I'll start backwards.
    With only 10 teams, there is no need to take a DEF or a K before the last two rounds. Take those very, very last. DEF in 2nd last round, K in last round. You'll probably switch these out commonly throughout the year based on team vs. team matchup.

This means you should roster:
    3QB (2 starters+ 1 bench)
    4RB (2 starters+ 2 bench)
    5WR (3 starters+ 2 bench)
    2TE (1 starter+ 1 bench)

Others can add more about when to take those QB, RB, WR and who...
    ...because you have 2QBs and bye weeks... and because QBs typically score the most... I'd give this one tip:

Get your 3rd QB before others do.
    Try to get your 2nd QB before others do.
    (You do not need to feel pressured to get your 1st QB early though... and others will probably make this mistake and reach).

A good team in your draft might be:
    1. RB
    2. RB or top WR
    3. QB
    4. WR or 2nd tier RB (if you went WR in round 1)
    5. QB
    6. WR
    7. QB (#3)
    8. WR
    9. TE
    10. RB (#3)
    11. WR (#4)
    12. WR (#5)
    13. DEF
    14. K

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Hi!

I am an exoerienced fantasy hockey guy, and with the lockout looming I thought I'd have a crack at fantasy football.....I purchased the Dobber guide but since out league uses expanded line-ups and I have VERY limited football IQ, I am looking to get any and all insight on some draft stratgey.

Details:

10 team H2H Yahoo! league
    Standard Yahoo point system

Roster: 2 QB, 3 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF and 6 bench spots

I've done some reading on draft strategy, but cant find anything that would cover this kind of setup, and I'm assuming the expanded rosters would change things significantly. I'm looking for any and all info.....where in the draft to take positions, how to allocate bench spots. I'm building from scratch here, so any advice is greatly appreciated (no matter how obvious it may seem to you).

Thanks!!!!
    You may be served using an ADP - Average Draft Position cheatsheet like below:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/adp.cfm

From this, you can get a general feel of positional need and which players to target and when. Good luck!
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Initiate

It also all depends on the draft position you are given. If I'm a top 5 pick I would take a RB for sure.

If I am a late 1st maybe I take one of the top tier QB's(Rodgers or Brady) then grab someone like McFadden or DeMarco Murray in the 2nd.

I don't like to go into a draft saying I will take a QB round 1, a RB round 2. I try to take the best value available that still satisfies a need.

Typically I will have 3 or 4 players in mind when it is coming close to my pick(4 away lets say).

I drafted last night an example of this is:

I wanted Maclin(PHI) WR for my next pick(which would of been my flex WR) that was 4 picks away, two people drafted and the guy before me snagged Maclin(PHI)

My 3 back up draft picks were Kenny Britt, Reggie Wayne and Hernandez(TE). I decided to pick Hernandez because I was confident I could still get Britt or Wayne as my flex option. I ended up getting Wayne with my next pick and Britt the pick after that as a bench player.

I don't believe I would of been able to pick Hernandez the next round because he was the next best TE available.

Always try to seek those hidden values and you should come out good.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    RB is a position you really need to focus on early in the draft this year. There are very few RBs out there who are clear cut #1s and of the ones that are available half of them have huge question marks around them. Out of curiosity what is the scoring system for QBs? I remember last year we used Yahoo standard (I believe) and it was 20 pass yds/point. This heavily tilted the league in favor of the teams that had Rodgers, Brady and Brees.
    I just checked my settings, we have 25 pass yards/point and 4 points for a passing TD. So with the extra QB starting roster spot, my league does put more value on QB, but not as much as if it was 20 passing yds/point.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    My Newbie season was last year and I didn't do so well.
    Your league is interesting because you start 2QB.

I can equate this a little bit to hockey goalies.
    Every team has a #1 QB and there's almost zero chance that a back-up QB (or "G") is going to have any significance during the regular season. So, getting two solid QBs is important, but not critical.

I'll start backwards.
    With only 10 teams, there is no need to take a DEF or a K before the last two rounds. Take those very, very last. DEF in 2nd last round, K in last round. You'll probably switch these out commonly throughout the year based on team vs. team matchup.

This means you should roster:
    3QB (2 starters+ 1 bench)
    4RB (2 starters+ 2 bench)
    5WR (3 starters+ 2 bench)
    2TE (1 starter+ 1 bench)

Others can add more about when to take those QB, RB, WR and who...
    ...because you have 2QBs and bye weeks... and because QBs typically score the most... I'd give this one tip:

Get your 3rd QB before others do.
    Try to get your 2nd QB before others do.
    (You do not need to feel pressured to get your 1st QB early though... and others will probably make this mistake and reach).

A good team in your draft might be:
    1. RB
    2. RB or top WR
    3. QB
    4. WR or 2nd tier RB (if you went WR in round 1)
    5. QB
    6. WR
    7. QB (#3)
    8. WR
    9. TE
    10. RB (#3)
    11. WR (#4)
    12. WR (#5)
    13. DEF
    14. K

Good luck.
    You rock Pengwin!!! Thanks a bunch, this is exactly what I was looking for. I am starting from scratch with drafting strategy and the extra roster players made me a little unsure how to go about things or specifically how much to value QB's. This provides a good reference point for me, greatly appreciated! +rep!