Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Lance Armstrong to be stripped of his 7 Tour de France wins

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    No but Tommy John surgery has been shown to have pitchers throwing harder than ever before afterwards and regardless I'm not talking about taking stuff that turns Joe Shmo into an All-Star, I'm talking about elite athletes who are already better than most, and training harder and longer than most, making up small gaps they may have in their own god given bodies between them and other athletes. Some elite athletes have bone structure that makes them more likely to blow out a knee or an elbow, other elite athletes produce less testosterone than others. They are both deficiencies.
    I've assisted in some Tommy John surgeries, and it's a little surprising they throw faster. Guess it might be just due to pre-existing damage to the UCL while throwing since youth. "The torque generated during pitching exceeds the ultimate tensile strength of cadaver UCL specimens."

I'm really interested, could you please elaborate on this?
    People who have upcoming surgery always ask if they can donate their blood to use later. Medical studies have shown that ppl are more at risk for needing blood transfusions if they donate before, and there are practical things like where to store it, it only lasts so long, what if ppl have surgery canceled for whatever reason.

But that gets me thinking about a real strong negative to PED use and that's in youth sports. As a youth coach I have players asking me all the time about simply helping them with training to become better and what sorts of weightlifting and such they can do to help improve. I have enough issues with simple weightlifting for kids the age that I coach 14/15 that I don't really know how much information to give them. In general, I always say that because their bodies are still growing that they shouldn't be messing around in the weightroom too much.
    Yah children are at risk for overtraining. In youth baseball, pitchers will get structural changes to their shoulder joint/elbow joint that other kids won't. There are also medical recommendations on pitch limits and rest after pitching for kids at different ages. Also recommended to avoid breaking pitches until skeletal maturity.
    Last edited by cdubb; October 23, 2012 at 8:42 PM.
    Semi-retired

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    People who have upcoming surgery always ask if they can donate their blood to use later. Medical studies have shown that ppl are more at risk for needing blood transfusions if they donate before, and there are practical things like where to store it, it only lasts so long, what if ppl have surgery canceled for whatever reason.
    Is there a timeline on how long your risk for needing blood transfusion after donating? Like is it just the amount of time it takes you to recoup your blood cell count and plasma or is this longer term "damage" we are talking?
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ace

Is there a timeline on how long your risk for needing blood transfusion after donating? Like is it just the amount of time it takes you to recoup your blood cell count and plasma or is this longer term "damage" we are talking?
    I think it has to do with the fact that the patient's are more anemic prior to the surgery, so hence more likely to need blood. I don't think this is long term damage because ppl donate blood all the time.

To be honest I am not an expert on this, but here is something I copy and pasted about PABD.

"Pre-operative autologous blood donation (PABD) aims to provide a supply of safe blood for patients undergoing surgery who might need a blood transfusion while at the same time increasing the patient's total red blood cell (RBC) mass due to the PABD-induced stimulation of erythropoiesis before scheduled elective surgery.

Meta-analyses on PABD have shown that this practice: (i) reduces the use of allogeneic blood transfusion by 63%, (ii) increases overall RBC transfusions (i.e. allogeneic and autologous RBC units) by 30%, and (iii) causes a decline of patients' haemoglobin (Hb) concentration by more than 1 g/dL from before commencing PABD to immediately prior to surgery

The wastage of unneeded PABD units varied from 18% to above 50%"

And from UpToDate - a medical wikipedia doctors use "We believe that PAD programs currently have marginal value and cost effectiveness"
    Last edited by cdubb; October 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
    Semi-retired

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by cdubb View Post
    I think it has to do with the fact that the patient's are more anemic prior to the surgery, so hence more likely to need blood. I don't think this is long term damage because ppl donate blood all the time.

To be honest I am not an expert on this, but here is something I copy and pasted about PABD.

"Pre-operative autologous blood donation (PABD) aims to provide a supply of safe blood for patients undergoing surgery who might need a blood transfusion while at the same time increasing the patient's total red blood cell (RBC) mass due to the PABD-induced stimulation of erythropoiesis before scheduled elective surgery.

Meta-analyses on PABD have shown that this practice: (i) reduces the use of allogeneic blood transfusion by 63%, (ii) increases overall RBC transfusions (i.e. allogeneic and autologous RBC units) by 30%, and (iii) causes a decline of patients' haemoglobin (Hb) concentration by more than 1 g/dL from before commencing PABD to immediately prior to surgery

The wastage of unneeded PABD units varied from 18% to above 50%"

And from UpToDate - a medical wikipedia doctors use "We believe that PAD programs currently have marginal value and cost effectiveness"
    Okay, I was curious as a frequent blood donor but someone who also has major issues with Canadian Blood Services as an organization. I'd really love nothing more than to have something to give them a hard time about.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Interesting to go back to this thread now that Armstrong is going to admit to the whole thing.
    GO WINGS!