Thread: Notes from Columbus @ Calgary

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Notes from Columbus @ Calgary

I was able to get to the game last night through a rather fortuitous series of events, and had some really decent seats too, so I thought I\'d jot down some things I noticed.

First, and this is obvious, is that Rick Nash is an absolute monster. I knew this before, but to see it live and up-close for the first time was amazing. The combination of size and speed is scary, and I cannot see how this team will fail to win next year with him leading it. He definitely deserves to be made captain this summer, as the whole game he was standing up for his guys and directing strategy.

Second, Kipper was back to his old self last night. No unnecessary sliding around, no bad rebounds, lots of quick freezes of the puck. No telling how long he can keep it up, but I\'d bet a few games at least.

Ken Hitchcock is a huge... like a balloon behind that bench. The fact that his players still listen to him and respect his opinion speaks volumes about his coaching ability.

Gilbert Brule looked really good for the first two periods of play. He was really moving his feet, forechecking well, and had some okay chances. He didn\'t look out of place at all in his few opportunities on the first line with Nash. I will agree with Dobber and say that it is only a matter of time before he breaks out. Not sure if he was hurt or if Hitch decided to bench him in the third (he didn\'t screw up that I could see).

Zherdev is magical, but couldn\'t keep it up for the entire game. Pity.

Tanguay started on the first line, made one mistake on one of his first shifts, and played with Nolan/Conroy the rest of the night. Ouch Iron Mike.

Fortunatly for Tangauy, Huselius played like garbage the entire night, except for 2 or 3 minor passes. He\'s beginning to look like a guy the Florida Panthers would trade. He is gone in the summer.

Langkow was effective, but underwhelming. If the Flames can somehow get the big body #1 center they need, he\'s gone too.

The one part of Phaneuf\'s game that he needs to work on is moving the puck a little quicker. He tends to hang on to it a bit too long and allows forecheckers to close on him. I think that once he improves on that decision-making aspect, he will fully come into his own as an NHL blueliner.

As for Columbus\' blueline... effective defensively, but absolutley useless in the Flames zone. I would not want Hainsey on my fantasy team. I was disappointed that I couldn\'t get a chance to watch Russell play.

The most surprising thing I noticed: the size of Leclaire\'s pads. They\'re tiny! Comically so. I couldn\'t get over them. Props to him when there is so much controversy about big goalie pads out there. Leclaire played really well. He is unbelievably quick, and smart too. If not for the injury trouble, I\'d trade for him today.

And finally (getting a bit long, aren\'t I?), the player I was most impressed with....

Jared Boll. Yes, you heard me. Aside from his rolling around on the ice theatrics when Langkow slashed him (never thought a guy in so much pain could return in the third like that), he played a really effective game on the TOP LINE. I\'m not sure what Hitch was thinking, but he didn\'t really look out of place. He did a tremendous job of getting under the Flame\'s collective skin. He\'s big and pretty fast. No wonder they traded Shelley. For fantasy leagues that count PIMs, this guy will be golden.

Hope that helps. In hockey, there is nothing quite like good seats to help you evaluate the game, and I would love to hear accounts from the rest of you when you get the chance to see a game live.

FantaSteve

I\'d agree - these kinds of recaps are interesting and insightful. Karma +1.

If more of us get the chance to watch and recap, do so.

Dobber Sports Stud

Good analysis, karma from me too.

I am so frustrated with Keenan, its not even funny.

The Flames make all this media news and supposedly give Tanguay a vote of confidence, saying a spot on the top line will be waiting when he returns (neck injury) and then boom, back to the 2nd shitty line before the 2nd period????

Why did Tanguay want to stay, brutal.

Torture

I am so frustrated with Keenan, its not even funny.
    I for one, am not frustrated with Keenan...in fact, I might go so far as to say that I have a man-crush on him. :laugh:

The Flames make all this media news and supposedly give Tanguay a vote of confidence, saying a spot on the top line will be waiting when he returns (neck injury) and then boom, back to the 2nd shitty line before the 2nd period????
    The Flames didn\'t really make a whole lot of media news about him getting a spot on the top line. Lots of other sources did, but I never saw anything from the Flames organization (or Keenan, who ultimately makes the decision) about Tanguay on the top line. It\'s about secondary scoring...and while it may not be great for all us poolies, it\'s best for the team to have two scoring lines.

Nice recap.
    Overall my impression of the game was that it was a pretty terrible game to watch, lol. Suffocating defense from Columbus, and the Flames were off psynch (Passes into skates, etc) all night. Phaneuf had an off night too...he plays on the edge (like Pronger) to be effective...but he crossed that edge tonight. Too many penalty minutes, and one during the last minute of a 1-0 lead? Ouch. I\'m not worried about him though.

Dobber Sports Guru

Torture wrote:
    Nice recap.
    Overall my impression of the game was that it was a pretty terrible game to watch, lol. Suffocating defense from Columbus, and the Flames were off psynch (Passes into skates, etc) all night. Phaneuf had an off night too...he plays on the edge (like Pronger) to be effective...but he crossed that edge tonight. Too many penalty minutes, and one during the last minute of a 1-0 lead? Ouch. I\'m not worried about him though.
    Agree with you about Keenen. I love him. And last night he was more animated than I have ever personally seen him.

Also agree that it would have made a lousy game for TV. But up close, live, there are always things to watch for. I especially enjoyed Godard\'s eagerness to get on the ice anytime he saw Boll out there. I think he was actually sad when Boll left with his injury. Too bad that fight never went down.

Boyder played a good game too.