Thread: #6 overall - need help with strategy!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default #6 overall - need help with strategy!

Please see team below, with keepers in bold.

So I placed last this year, and did a full rebuild. I have number 1 overall, so I will be adding Yakupov to the lineup.

I also traded to acquire #6, and have no other picks until 4th rnd.

Now, I have put together a list of players, but am totally unsure which direction to go?

If I draft Yakupov, I am going to assume at this point that the rest of the first round will be

Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Lindback, Grandlund, Hamilton, Schultz, Kreider, Silverberg, Faulk, Ryan Murphy,

Now, those are players available, and do not include the non-keepers from each team.

If I project, I will probably have a choice between Grandlund, Hamilton, and Schultz.

Taking a look at my team, I only have 5 keeper d men. Based on needs, would you focus on Hamilton or Schultz? or pick Grandlund and then try and trade Lucic or Burmistrov for a d man?

Not sure what to do...Help a guy out!!
    League: 10 team, points only, keep 20

F: Tavares, Mackinnon, Okposo, P Kane, Ovechkin, Hall, Eichel, Vesey, Drasaitl, Wheeler, Duchene, Spezza, Eriksson

D: Hedman, Subban, Letang, Carlson, Hamilton, Suter,

G: Schneider, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Vasilievsky

Dobber Sports Sophomore

"Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, Lindback, Grandlund, Hamilton, Schultz, Kreider, Silverberg, Faulk, Ryan Murphy"

I find it very difficult to project what other managers will do but you should start by making your own list (points only of course) for who you think will project the best for the coming year. I cant see Lindback that far up hes a long shot to make this team a contender in his first full year. Personally points only your best bet on D would be Schultz because of the offensive firepower alone and Faulk who will most likely be available in comparison to anyone else you mentioned. Hamilton wont be hitting much more then 25-30 points this year and even Schultz may have a tough time, the sure bet both in availability at 6th as well as somewhat proven would be Faulk in my mind. He was playing 22+ minutes a night and now with Jordan Staal as well as Semin just signed that power play looks better and better. No one else in this draft class will make an immediate impact including the 3 russians nothing is guarenteed. Guarenteed points only Schultz and Faulk will both outdo at least Bogosian and most likely Ellis
    12 team H2H Keeper league 14 keepers 10 prospects
    Stats: G/A/PTS/+/SOG/PIM/STP/Wins/SO/GAA/SV%
    (Roster)Seguin, Couture, Johansen, OEL, Hamilton, Faulk, Simmonds, Saad, Gaborik, Subban, Hoffman, RNH, Andersen, Bobrovsky (Prospects) N. Ritchie, Virtanen, Campbell, Fucale, Kuznetsov, Gaudreau, Fluery, Nichushkin, Hertl ,

The Chiefs

Dobber Sports Prodigy

In a pts only league you definately take Granlund if he's available. If he isn't, you take the next forward with the highest upside. Who could that be?

Teuvo Teravainen.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the response. I think I need to focus on D as well, just to get that 6th finalized.

It would be hard to pick Schultz over Granlund tho, I'm such a huge fan. But if I pick up Yakupov and Granlund, it means I have to drop or trade 2 other forwards.

Oh can't wait for September....

F: Tavares, Mackinnon, Okposo, P Kane, Ovechkin, Hall, Eichel, Vesey, Drasaitl, Wheeler, Duchene, Spezza, Eriksson

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCrickets! View Post
    In a pts only league you definately take Granlund if he's available. If he isn't, you take the next forward with the highest upside. Who could that be?

Teuvo Teravainen.
    6th overall wont land someone like Granlund unless they are completly useless managers in the league, you want players that will play this year Teravainen wont be, chicago has great depth
    (Roster)Seguin, Couture, Johansen, OEL, Hamilton, Faulk, Simmonds, Saad, Gaborik, Subban, Hoffman, RNH, Andersen, Bobrovsky (Prospects) N. Ritchie, Virtanen, Campbell, Fucale, Kuznetsov, Gaudreau, Fluery, Nichushkin, Hertl ,

The Chiefs

Dobber Sports Prodigy

My argument over Granlund being available still, is that 2nd pick overall is a huge Habs fan, 3rd will pick Grigorenko, 4th needs a goalie and Lindback is available, so that leaves 5th and 6th(mine) leftover.

I'd personally be happy with any of those players, or Granlund, Schultz, Hamilton, Faulk.

Dont necessarilly need him for next year. My team is pretty loaded with prospects already, so the timing would be great for anyone at least in the NHL by 2014

Dobber Sports Sophomore

If those 4 players are available and you have 2014 as the cutoff for production I would do it in the order you have listed if available,

Granlund, Schultz then Hamilton/Faulk, arguably Hamilton has the higher upside

The Chiefs

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by schreyer.chris View Post
    6th overall wont land someone like Granlund unless they are completly useless managers in the league, you want players that will play this year Teravainen wont be, chicago has great depth
    Do they? Andrew Shaw and Jamal Meyers were both rookies and ate lots of minutes. So why wouldn't they give their top prospect a chance in 2012?

Dobber Sports Stud

Because he's already said he's going to play at least one more season in Finland. I'd guess 2 and maybe even more. The high-end Finnish prospects almost always seem to take 2 or more years to come across. T. Ruutu and M. Koivu waited 2 and 3 years respectively, right up to most recently Granlund waited 2 years, Pulkinnen is likely headed back for a third, Armia is headed back for a second...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    Because he's already said he's going to play at least one more season in Finland. I'd guess 2 and maybe even more. The high-end Finnish prospects almost always seem to take 2 or more years to come across. T. Ruutu and M. Koivu waited 2 and 3 years respectively, right up to most recently Granlund waited 2 years, Pulkinnen is likely headed back for a third, Armia is headed back for a second...
    Also has to do with military commitments ... I believe that had to do with why Granlund decided to stay the extra year in order to fulfill them

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Since you're already getting Yakupov, I think Schultz would be a good choice at #6. I think I could put up 25 points running the Oiler power play this coming season with my hands of stone and Division 21,497 rec league benchwarmer skill set.

Granlund, if available, would be hard to pass on, but do you really want to be left holding the bag when he gets his first NHL concussion?
    14-team keeper, Fantrax weekly H2H roto match-ups, daily rosters, 4 waiver moves per week
    8 Skater Cats (G,A,PPP,SOG,PIM,HIT,BS,FOW) and 3 Goalie Cats (W,GAA,SV%)

Start C/C/LW/LW/RW/RW/F/F/D/D/D/D/D/G/G/Util, + 4 bench spots (20 player roster size + 1 IR spot as per Fantrax IR settings)
    Keep 10 players (and 8 prospects w/ less than 25 GP), 10 round entry draft (5 round prospect draft)

2013-14: 1st place reg. season, 3rd in Playoffs
    C - Giroux, Getzlaf, Kadri, Gagner
    LW - Kunitz, JVR, Schenn (C/LW), Girgensons (C/LW)
    RW - Carter (C/LW/RW), Hossa, Pominville, Perron (LW/RW)
    D - Doughty, Josi, Edler, Cowen, Gorges
    G - Andersen, Halak