Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Speculation] Flyers Pursuit of Ryan

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    Why are they bothering to go after Ryan? Do they really need to improve a forward group that is already one of the best in the league when their defense is more of an issue?
    From the quote attibuted to Holmgren, he actually says nothing of the sort as far as I can tell. Not sure how "I'm not going to comment" gets interpreted that way by Rotoworld.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    From the quote attibuted to Holmgren, he actually says nothing of the sort as far as I can tell. Not sure how "I'm not going to comment" gets interpreted that way by Rotoworld.
    I was thinking the same thing. Is it too much to ask to have them post a link to the original article?

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Username View Post
    Ryan doesn't have an NMC and isn't massively overpaid like Nash.

Ryan is also three years younger and much better.
    Agree about Nash being overpaid and also agree about Ryan being youngER (both Nash and Ryan are both relatively young, just Nash is a little older, but nonetheless both are in their prime), but to say Ryan is better than Nash...actually "much" better - I certainly wouldn't go that far, and actually would disagree. I'm not too sure what you're basing the fact Ryan is much better than Nash on? If anything, I consider Nash to be presently more of an impact player than Ryan, IMO.
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Veteran

I agree with praba's rundown of forwards Holmgren wouldn't move, and I doubt a Simmons or Read would be a strong enough to lead a package for Ryan.

And after downgrading from Carle to Gervais, even Meszaros would be hard to give up from the backend.

The Flyers do have a roster issue with regards to their young defensemen with KT, Coburn,Grossman,Meszaros,Schenn, and Gervais all asured roster spots and Bourdon and Gustafsson both NHL ready and both eligible for waivers this year, so at least one of them will have to be moved. (They still have Manning who they feel is ready, Lilja, and Matt Walker too)

But I'm pretty sure we'd get to witness the first Anaheim hockey riot if the Ducks parted with Ryan for a package led by Read, Gustafsson, and Bourdon.

Imho, rather than shifting holes in his roster by moving someone, Holmgren's more likely to be looking to lead any package with one or two of those first round draft picks he was going to use in the Weber deal to "add without subtracting" but I don't see Anaheim being willing to go that route for Ryan.

And speaking of things that didn't get used in the Weber deal, ...Holmgren still has a big pile of Ed Snider's money in his pocket, and might be looking around for players due sizable bonuses even in the event of a work stoppage on teams that might not want to be on the hook for the outlay.

That's pure speculation on my part though, as I have no idea who, if any players out there are due bonuses before the start of the season, or if Ryan or anyone else on the Ducks fits into that catagory.
    It's just something to think about.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

B.Ryan is going to end up to Detroit or Tampa bay

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRockets05 View Post
    Agree about Nash being overpaid and also agree about Ryan being youngER (both Nash and Ryan are both relatively young, just Nash is a little older, but nonetheless both are in their prime), but to say Ryan is better than Nash...actually "much" better - I certainly wouldn't go that far, and actually would disagree. I'm not too sure what you're basing the fact Ryan is much better than Nash on? If anything, I consider Nash to be presently more of an impact player than Ryan, IMO.

Ryan's good, no question, but as a pure comparison of quality of player I agree Nash is a better player when you exclude salary/comp considerations. I imagine most GMs would feel the same.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    both would be matched instantly. unless they gave mdz a ridiculous contract, i'd much rather take the four 1sts.

I doubt the Rangers would be too upset if anyone offer-sheeted DelZ a ridiculously high contract, they'd take the picks and use them and/or other assets to go out and trade for an impact PP QB like Boyle, who would be a perfect addition for the next 3 years (which is the Rangers major window of Cup opportunity). The Torts/Richards history would be bonus. They'd probably have to focus on drafting some solid young PP qb prospects though since, as far as I know, there is little in the pipeline that fits that role.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I doubt the Rangers would be too upset if anyone offer-sheeted DelZ a ridiculously high contract, they'd take the picks and use them and/or other assets to go out and trade for an impact PP QB like Boyle, who would be a perfect addition for the next 3 years (which is the Rangers major window of Cup opportunity). The Torts/Richards history would be bonus. They'd probably have to focus on drafting some solid young PP qb prospects though since, as far as I know, there is little in the pipeline that fits that role.
    Look on capgeek, they have to sign a bunch of major pieces for 2014-2015. You are very correct Ross, the Rangers time to win is definitely now.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=22

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."