Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One size does not fit all!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default One size does not fit all!

In a points only league, Loui Eriksson is very valuable for his consistent points production - add PIMs and Hits to the cats and his value plummets relative to other players.

In a league where you start one goalie, owning Lundie, Rinne and Quick is not very smart, but in a league where you start 2 on a daily basis it's like having the key to Fort Knox.

So what's the point? Well, I see thread after thread start with something like - "Should I trade Weber for Neal?" and no other information. Now the right answer to that question posed like this, is: "I have no idea." But guys will answer anyway because they want to help - but one might ask, so what are they basing their input on? Very little that is objective, that is for sure.

It takes a little work but trust me it's worth it in the quality of the responses you get, if you indicate the size of league, the league format, the roster positions, starting roster positions, the scoring stats and so on. Player values can vary dramatically from one league set-up to the other. Give the best minds on these boards a chance to give you the best answer they can based on your particular league. Some people think it doesn't matter but it does.

I, for one, get tired of having to ask "How many teams in your league?" etc. I find myself moving on to something I can answer directly and feel comfortable in the quality of my answer - in many cases I do extra research to answer a question because I have all the variables presented.

Anyway, a quality post tends to beget quality responses. One size does not fit all in fantasy hockey and that is important to understand when making fantasy hockey decisions.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great post, Shoeless.

I wandered into this thread because I like reading anything you decide to start.
    However, how many NOOBs are actually going to wander into here themselves and actually absorb this good information?

You've definitely got something here.
    There almost needs to be a NOOB-tunnel, where once a NOOB joins, they are first directed down a series of threads that teach them how to effectively post & ask questions.

Sort of like an initiation & learning... it would also grow the website because a NOOB that has a good experience with their first few posts & threads is going to stay and be an active member.

A great post - now you just have to find a way to direct the NOOBs here.
    Give them a nice list of exactly which league specific information they should post everytime (or a NOOB refresher on creating a SIG).

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Great post, Shoeless.

I wandered into this thread because I like reading anything you decide to start.
    However, how many NOOBs are actually going to wander into here themselves and actually absorb this good information?

There almost needs to be a NOOB-tunnel, where once a NOOB joins, they are first directed down a series of threads that teach them how to effectively post & ask questions.

Sort of like an initiation & learning... it would also grow the website because a NOOB that has a good experience with their first few posts & threads is going to stay and be an active member.

Give them a nice list of exactly which league specific information they should post everytime (or a NOOB refresher on creating a SIG).
    Lurking before posting is a valuable tool I dare say.

Dobber Sports Guru

I couldnt agree more ... daily starts vs weekly starts can make a huge difference as well and people will rarely indicate that in posts. Size of the league number of starters vs roster positions etc are crucial pieces of information when evaluating trades etc.

I am guilty of sometimes moving on and not responding to a post if there is not enough information to allow me to give an educated response.

Dobber Sports Wizard

This should be stickied in every section of the forums. Context is everything when it comes to advice about players.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great post, Shoeless.

Dummy cards work when you are first in a country with a language you don't speak.

I have always thought that Dobber should have a NOOB forum that is led by guys like you. A forum with stickees of the most pertinent info and links to valuable FH resources - a place to ask questions more about the 'how' than the 'what'. Really a teaching about fantasy hockey and Dobberhockey forum. Guest bloggers who focus on those 'how' things as well.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I suppose someone could create a "How to use the forum" thread somewhere and sticky the thing so new members can learn what is available on the forums and how to get effective usage from it.

If that doesn't work, just direct the noob tunnel to Derek's Corner noob edition.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Ninja

I find one of the biggest impacts all of these forgotten details have is on relative goalie value.

(And yanno, I know a thing or two about goalies )

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    I find one of the biggest impacts all of these forgotten details have is on relative goalie value.

Well you shouldn't be going anywhere near goalie-related topics anyway.

Dobber Sports Ninja

We had a thread that I believe Ross The Boss Palmer started last summer where it basically outlined important details to include when posting on these forums.

I think it even had the word 'Noob' in it.

Maybe he can dig it back up.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Lurking before posting is a valuable tool I dare say.
    Like watching a lot of pron before you actually have sex.
    Yup, I'm a member of this school of training... with regards to fantasy hockey, of course.

Like watching a lot of pron before you actually have sex.
    Yup, I'm a member of this school of training... with regards to fantasy hockey, of course.
    Guess that depends what kind of pron you're watching.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well, b0ndon, you are one of the best at asking for the extra information before you respond regardless of the position in question - kudos for that.

Specifically on the goalie thing - you are right, goalies are complex because often you have a mixture of quantitative and qualitative stats. That is not the case with skaters unless you are including advanced skater stats in your cats like faceoff %, shooting % which tend to be rare.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Appreciate the kudos Shoeless! I definitely slip up once and awhile but I do try my best to help out where I can.

Also, here is the great thread that Ross The Boss Palmer started last summer. Had some great posts from a lot of great forum members...it would be cool if after registering as a forum user it redirected you to that thread first or something.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?t=108391

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Appreciate the kudos Shoeless! I definitely slip up once and awhile but I do try my best to help out where I can.

Also, here is the great thread that Ross The Boss Palmer started last summer. Had some great posts from a lot of great forum members...it would be cool if after registering as a forum user it redirected you to that thread first or something.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showthread.php?t=108391
    We all slip up from time to time, it's called being human. What I like is when I see other guys asking the right questions before they respond - that encourages me to try and stay on track as well.