Thread: About player categories...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default About player categories...

We have a roto yahoo pool going and are thinking of dropping the SHP (really hating this category). We have goals assists points ppp's +/- gwg hits shots and pims.

What is the next best category out there to possibly add??

Thinking face-off wins or blocked shots....

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Drop SHP and +/- and add FOW and BS.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Drop SHP and +/- and add FOW and BS.
    Crazy shift in categories! Pretty dramatic change if you plan on doing this for the upcoming season.

I do like the two cats Dyz mentioned, but I think it be best to give the poolies in your league a season to adjust.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

The Wolverine

I would drop SHP and GWG and add FOW and BS.

SHP - too infrequent and random, which has far too much influence on the overall standings.
    GWG - random and fluky, don't like it at all.

FOW - balances the forward categories by giving more value to centres if you split them by positions
    BS - gives defencemen more value

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by GMGates View Post
    Crazy shift in categories! Pretty dramatic change if you plan on doing this for the upcoming season.

I do like the two cats Dyz mentioned, but I think it be best to give the poolies in your league a season to adjust.
    I would think two months of preparation is plenty and people can adjust. It's the same as joining a new league with those categories. Obviously he's the best to judge his league but I don't see it being that difficult to adjust, especially if everyone is on board.

Dobber Sports Star

I'm with Horrorfan: lose GWG and SHP, pick up FOW and BS.

Is this a keeper league? If it is and more than 30-40 players are kept in total, I think you've gotta give more than a season advance notice before putting in a change that will affect player value so much. GMs build a core pretty deliberately under a set of assumptions, and changing them undermines all the decisions that were made to that point. I'm all for meaningful change, but you've got to give GMs the chance to adjust their core.

If it's not a keeper, make the switch.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I like FOW and BS over SHP because they are a lot more frequent than the SHP. It is very common to see SHP going 1-0 for the entire week and I just don't see the excitement in that.

I also like them because you can generally plan and draft to be successful in FOW and BS whereas for SHP, while there are a few guys who are regularly up there, a lot of the SHP are just random.

Dobber Sports Guru

agree with the rest here SHP and GWG are way too flukey and not really that fun. I would add blocked shots and FOW for the reasons mentioned above. However if its a keeper I agree with HPG in that some advanced notice would be required to let GMs adapt to the changes.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    agree with the rest here SHP and GWG are way too flukey and not really that fun. I would add blocked shots and FOW for the reasons mentioned above. However if its a keeper I agree with HPG in that some advanced notice would be required to let GMs adapt to the changes.
    RIght I completely forgot about that. Advanced notice is a MUST for GMs...or at least make sure everyone is in agreement.

If you add something like FOW it would be a major advantage to teams that have palyers listed as LW or RW but get a lot of time at C.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

+/-, GWG... both are a crapshoot as far as I'm concerned.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I agree with you about the gwg. not nearly as bad as shp's imo (because anyone can get a gwg, but only pk players ever really get shp's.

+/- can be harsh at times but can be predicted. it should stay