Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Inside Info on the Shea Weber saga..

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Message on my screen:
    You must spread some rep around before giving it to fungchen3 again.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post
    (It virtually explains everything, except for why Holmgren didn't approach Howson with a package including JvR and Bobrovsky for Nash, ...unless he did, and was rebuffed and moved on to the Toronto offer for JvR, ...which would make Howson's return from the Rangers look even worse).
    Holmgren offered JVR, Bobrovsky and other assets to Columbus on multiple occasions and Howson turned him down as he was insisting on a "center" in any deal with Philly, most likely Couturier or Schenn. I believe the Flyers "offer" to Columbus that Dreger referred to included Voracek, Read and Meszaros. This also leads me to believe that Nashville is leaning towards "taking the compensation" instead of trading picks back to the Flyers in the event they don't match the Weber offer.
    Last edited by fungchen3; July 24, 2012 at 11:41 AM.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Banned

John Shannon:

Just got told by 1 NHL Exec it looks like Preds will match Weber offer sheet. "Unless,Flyers are prepared to make a great trade"#doubtful

Dobber Sports Pro

How can they not match this? The entire franchise would be pretty much done if they lose Suter to free agency and then lose Shea Weber for 4 first rounders from Philadelphia. Those picks are worth nothing in comparison, and would do very little to turn them into a contender again.

If anything, I could see them working out a deal with Philly where they don't match the offer, and then trade the first rounders back to Philly for a package of players. If something like that is even allowed--- I can't even keep up with half of the stipulations in the league now. Either way, that's the only scenario I can see them not matching it and still being able to salvage something.

Or you match it and trade him to the highest bidder next summer. There will be plenty.

As for Fungchen's post, that was awesome. But I disagree with one thing-- I don't know if you could say Holmgren and Poile are good friends right about now. I'm pretty sure every GM wants Holmgren's head on a spike.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by El Caballo View Post
    As for Fungchen's post, that was awesome. But I disagree with one thing-- I don't know if you could say Holmgren and Poile are good friends right about now. I'm pretty sure every GM wants Holmgren's head on a spike.
    I doubt that most GMs see any problem with this at all. Every other team and their GM would do the exact same thing if they had the dollars.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I doubt that most GMs see any problem with this at all. Every other team and their GM would do the exact same thing if they had the dollars.
    I think alot of teams have the dollars but if you know the player has his heart set on one destination and won't be swayed then you won't go to the step of an offersheet because of the 'political fallout'.

I'm sure the Oiler's looked at an offersheet seriously but when it became apparent that Weber may not want to settle long term in Edmonton, they stopped short of doing an offersheet. It would serve no constructive purpose even if they put together the most monied deal.

Dobber Sports Legend

How can they not match this? The entire franchise would be pretty much done if they lose Suter to free agency and then lose Shea Weber for 4 first rounders from Philadelphia. Those picks are worth nothing in comparison, and would do very little to turn them into a contender again.
    Well, honestly, no one KNOWS for sure if Nashville will match or not. I was just passing along what I heard (which is obviously not fact because this is still ongoing). Of course the Predators very well could match. But, to your point - this is a very difficult concept to justify (losing Weber) because people make gut reactions based on emotion and often tend to ignore the rational thinking. The emotional response is exactly what you said, "How can they NOT match this?" because it makes no sense to the average fan how a team could let their best player go for draft picks. This concept is completely foreign to us. However, the rational decision in this case may come down to a business decision - one that is being made by an ownership group which could have conflicting opinions on how such an offer will impact their individual portions of their investment. It could be an equal divide for all we know - some owners could vote YES and some could vote NO. This is not a single owner making a decision. I refer to this because I've seen this first-hand with the Philadelphia Phillies and how they have made personnel decisions in the past. Everything they did had to make "business sense" first and foremost. The same could be said for the Toronto Blue Jays, no? I'm sure they didn't WANT to trade Roy Halladay when they did. Superstars leave smaller markets in professional sports and life goes on. The Predators are in a lose-lose situation right now. What they will do is anyone's guess right now.

If anything, I could see them working out a deal with Philly where they don't match the offer, and then trade the first rounders back to Philly for a package of players. If something like that is even allowed--- I can't even keep up with half of the stipulations in the league now. Either way, that's the only scenario I can see them not matching it and still being able to salvage something.
    Yes, not only is something like this allowed (it would be two separate transactions like the Chris Gratton to Philly deal in 1997) but I thought from the very beginning would be how this whole scenario eventually plays out. Part of the problem with this offer for the Predators is that, not only do they need to commit a lot of up-front money to Weber, they still need to add additional contracts to make the team competitive and to reach the cap floor. IF they were to receive a few pieces from the Flyers, that would help them on both fronts.

Or you match it and trade him to the highest bidder next summer. There will be plenty.
    This scenario is pretty much guaranteed NOT to happen for a couple of reasons. For one, if the Predators were to trade Weber next July, they would be doing so after paying him $27 million over this coming year. The Predators could not afford to do that and it just doesn't make sense. Also, the Predators tried trading Weber for a couple of weeks before he signed the offer sheet with the Flyers. One of those interested teams were the Rangers (who have now moved on to Nash). The fact is, Poile wasn't blown away by any offer during those trade discussions or he would have pulled the trigger. Matching the offer with the "intentions" of trading Weber next summer would only cost the Predators a significant loss of revenue and create a situation similar to the Rick Nash one in Columbus. What message does that send to your team and fans? If the Predators match, they're doing it to KEEP Weber for life.

This is business, Poile is aware of it. Of course right now he is probably furious at the Flyers and I personally don't blame him. But they at least warned him a sheet was coming and appear willing to work on additional ways of rectifying the situation so it's more of a win-win. That doesn't mean Poile would want anything to do with the Flyers after this - he could feel permanently scorned. Who knows?

I will also add one thing - IF you were David Poile and your ownership told you that you had the funds to match any offer sheet for Shea Weber (as mentioned in his initial statement on the matter), why wouldn't you just match immediately and let Weber know, "You're our guy. We weren't losing you and you are our franchise?" Why would you drag this out as long as possible? The only message it sends is that you either had to move mountains to match (not a great sign financially) or that you were exploring if "letting him go" was a better decision for your team long-term. Either way, these would not be the messages I would want to send. If the Predators wanted to keep Weber and knew they could, they would have matched within 24 hours to make a statement IMO.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Banned

the owners had to get together an meet up, or at least conference call or whatnot. there are multiple owners. they had 7 days to do it, so they were not going to get together and meet up and make a decision 24 hours later. It's not as easy as one owner giving the nod to the GM. The Predators will match and all this discussion will be for not.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    I think alot of teams have the dollars but if you know the player has his heart set on one destination and won't be swayed then you won't go to the step of an offersheet because of the 'political fallout'.

I'm sure the Oiler's looked at an offersheet seriously but when it became apparent that Weber may not want to settle long term in Edmonton, they stopped short of doing an offersheet. It would serve no constructive purpose even if they put together the most monied deal.
    Oh I totally agree that that is a factor as well. I guess I just mean I don't think other teams are going to frown on this all that much. It's just business.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Oh I totally agree that that is a factor as well. I guess I just mean I don't think other teams are going to frown on this all that much. It's just business.
    Sure..... until Burkie weighs in!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Sure..... until Burkie weighs in!
    Oh so true!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

http://www.thescore.com/home/article...er-offer-sheet

Take it for what it's worth, not sure of John Shannon's credibilty, or who this "one exec is" https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/statu...05358972870656 but interesting none the less.
    12 team Keeper Head to Head: (10 Keepers)
    G,A,P,+/-,PPP,GWG,PIM,W,SV%,GAA,SO

Duchene - C,
    Marleau, Benn, Ovy - LW
    Eberle,P.Kane, - RW
    Green, Yandle - D
    Price, Rinne - G

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Leafs2014 View Post
    http://www.thescore.com/home/article...er-offer-sheet

Take it for what it's worth, not sure of John Shannon's credibilty, or who this "one exec is" https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/statu...05358972870656 but interesting none the less.
    Probably Gillis (who has already gone on record saying he thinks the Predators would match, which is why he didn't bother with an offer sheet). Or, it could be an Eastern Conference executive leaking this in hopes it puts pressure on the Flyers to deal - it's the posturing part of any significant negotiation.

Because, on the flip side you have Darren Dreger reporting:

Nashville ownership is expected to meet again on Tuesday to determine what's best for the organization, however, many around the NHL don't believe the Predators will match and may instead use the compensatory draft picks as trade bait for roster players.
    Point being: The ONLY people who know for sure right now if the Predators are going to match are David Poile and the owners. Actually, they might not even be sure right this second.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Banned

their 12% owner Brett Wilson's responses to some fans:

Harold DeLaney ‏
    @wbrettwilson You don't know me, but I've been a Predators Season Ticket Holder since Day 1.... Hoping we can keep our Captain. #Preds

- W. Brett Wilson - ‏
    @NATLBNKILR great leaders are hard to come by - especially big goal scoring ones...

---

Corey Massey ‏
    @WBrettWilson How much longer on weber??

- W. Brett Wilson -
    @predsfan42 how long is 7 days?

Corey Massey ‏
    @WBrettWilson lol. I mean does it take that long?? Suter and him have killed us the past 2 summers from getting other players n.

- W. Brett Wilson - ‏
    @predsfan42 Poile/Preds will announce - as always. Not Brett on Twitter....

Dobber Sports Ninja

They're too busy re-signing Sergei and Colin Wilson lol.