Page 91 of 102 FirstFirst ... 41 81 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 101 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,365 of 1526

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: Dallas Stars

Lehtonen had let in four goals on nine shots in the third period. But sometimes you pull the goalie not because of the goalie, but to send a message to the rest of your team. I think that's what happened here. Carolina didn't get a shot the last seven minutes of the game, so if that is the reason, it appears to have worked.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Yeah it is when the game was almost over. Why bother? Niemi was cold as hell.

And yeah I don't see them going far in the playoffs no matter where they are in the conference, especially if they don't pick a #1 goalie and ride with him. They have poor defense and their stars aren't going to score as they are right now. I couldn't care less about their position right now. And before you say it, no I don't see the Sens going far in the playoffs either.
    We're talking about the Stars, not the Sens.

Why bother? They won. So it worked. You have nothing to complain about other than losing some stats in your fantasy hockey league. Letting in 4 goals on 9 shots is a more than justifiable reason to pull a goalie, regardless of when it happens in the game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    We're talking about the Stars, not the Sens.

Why bother? They won. So it worked. You have nothing to complain about other than losing some stats in your fantasy hockey league. Letting in 4 goals on 9 shots is a more than justifiable reason to pull a goalie, regardless of when it happens in the game.
    I posted that because every time I offer an opinion about a team I get "ya but Sens1111!!!" in return. So that post was meant for everybody, not just you.

Secondly, whatever, still terrible for us Lehtonen owners that Niemi gets a phony win.

Thirdly, Dallas still stinks defensively and goaltending wise. Caps of 2009.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I posted that because every time I offer an opinion about a team I get "ya but Sens1111!!!" in return. So that post was meant for everybody, not just you.

Secondly, whatever, still terrible for us Lehtonen owners that Niemi gets a phony win.

Thirdly, Dallas still stinks defensively and goaltending wise. Caps of 2009.
    In 2009 the Caps went to game 7 of the conference semi's and lost to the eventual champion. I wouldn't call that "no where"

Dobber Sports Wizard

So many things to talk about...

-Kari, and to a lesser extent the whole team, let that blown GI call get to them. Kari had only the lone goal against up to that point and it was clear from his body language his was still nursing a grudge over that. Bulls--t as the non-call was you have to let it go and Kari didn't. Ruff should have pulled him after the third goal when it was clear he was still sulking over that.

-On that note, if standing in the crease and preventing the goalie from moving towards the wide side of the net isn't interference then just do away with GI in the rulebook. The only thing Staal could have done that would have been more blatant was to just bear hug Kari and tackle him to the ice and sit on him. Kari needed to slide back and to his left and couldn't because Staal was right there on top of him, and he wasn't pushed into Kari.

-That wasn't the only questionable ref call in the third either. With the score tied and just a couple minutes left, Dallas had a scramble going with a loose puck right in Lack's lap and the ref whistled it dead. The puck was still in the air and he whistled dead. According Razor it was a rookie official, and Daryl surmised that he somehow lost track of the puck and assumed that it was in Lack's glove instead of seeing that it had bounced off of his glove and was still very much live. The wolves were circling too and would have had a golden chance to knock that one in.

-Sharp's losing his spot on the top line to Val isn't a shock. Val is heating up and fully displayed his arsenal last night. So that move makes sense. But I'm not sure why Eaves gets the spot over Sharp on Spezza's wing other than it bolsters Eakin's line and gives it a legit scorer. I love the ginger ninja's game but he's not a scorer. Hemsky is.....Hemsky. Eaves wouldn't give that line any real offensive punch and he can't play the 2 way game the way Sharp can. Ruff does love to roll three and four lines so it makes a certain sense in that regards. Now here's where it got weird. On all but the final PP, where Sharp scored, Eaves was in his spot on the first unit. That may have been shake things up a bit as the Stars PP had stagnated a bit. But when it counted most you see who was out there, Sharp. I wouldn't worry too much about Sharp's usage. He does so many things right that he's Ruff's new line fixer and Swiss Army knife. That's just life with Lindy.

-And last but not least, if the NFL has taught the sports world anything, it's that prevent defense only prevents winning. The Stars took their foot off the gas after the first period, just like they did in Calgary, and almost paid the same price for it. I have to say screw that philosophy and go for the kill. You've got 'em down, finish 'em off. Razor said it best, once the Stars got the Canes down by 4, Carolina could just pin their ears back and let it fly. What more did they have to lose. That's part of learning how to be a top team, don't let your opponents have a glimmer of hope once they're deep in a hole. Throw 'em in said hole, toss the dirt in on top of 'em, and back pack it down hard.

Dobber Sports Ninja

So I gave in and bit on Nich (for like the 6th time in the last two years)...

Fingers cross he'll have a nice, long run before Ruff removes him again.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post

God forbid it all goes wrong, but if it does now we know who to blame.

Lines for tonight looking like:

Benn-Seguin-Nichushkin
    Janmark-Spezza-Eaves
    Roussel-Eakin-Sharp
    Sceviour-Fiddler-Hemsky

Demers and Jokipakka back in on D. Niemi in net.

-Mike touched on it in his weekly chat, but what is it that Ruff is so infatuated with that he keeps Eaves with Spezza? Like he said, Sharp-Janmark or Sharp-Hemsky flanking Spezza makes more sense. Of course given Eaves' fragility it's sadly just a matter of time until he's out again. Not that I wish that on him, just stating the facts. A few posts back I gave my speculation that it balances the scoring, but then again Eaves isn't exactly lighting it up. Janmark is the possession guy on that line, Spezza the playmaker, Sharp would be a damn good finisher.

-Speaking of Heika's weekly Stars chat here's a link to it:

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dall...-dec-7-ask-now

Some really good stuff, as usual, and it's interesting to read his take on possible trade angles, and where the Stars go on D vis-a-vis their pending UFA's and prospects who are ready to move up and be regulars in Dallas.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Fun stat of the night: The Stars are 8-1-2 in games decided by one goal. Would have been 9-1-2 if Jamie doesn't get the empty netter. Which by the way is the Stars 11th. And as Razor pointed out on the broadcast, that 8-1-2 record doesn't include all the games where the Stars scored an empty netter(s) to win by 2 or 3. For all their issues, for all the questions, it's a good sign that they can win these close games, by whatever means necessary, ugly or pretty. And the experience in playing in these situations will be invaluable.

Now tomorrow night is the biggest test of the season so far, by miles, light-years even.....

Dobber Sports Ninja

Of course the first game I pick him up he posts a big fat donut...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    Fun stat of the night: The Stars are 8-1-2 in games decided by one goal. Would have been 9-1-2 if Jamie doesn't get the empty netter. Which by the way is the Stars 11th. And as Razor pointed out on the broadcast, that 8-1-2 record doesn't include all the games where the Stars scored an empty netter(s) to win by 2 or 3. For all their issues, for all the questions, it's a good sign that they can win these close games, by whatever means necessary, ugly or pretty. And the experience in playing in these situations will be invaluable.

Now tomorrow night is the biggest test of the season so far, by miles, light-years even.....
    Looks like Dallas got a taste of playoff hockey tonight.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yeah, their first taste. Outside of the first period, which the Blues clearly dominated, the Stars played very well. Doubly so considering they were on the road in the second game of a back-to-back against a rested Blues team. Jake Allen was on it and that was the difference in the end, because it wasn't like Dallas didn't have plenty of great opportunities in the final 40 minutes. Last night was another type of game that they had to experience and learn how to play, games that St. Louis, Nashville, and Chicago are already used to having been on top for so long. As with anything else in life you learn by doing and immersing yourself in a task.

Now we wait and see how the Stars respond.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Well praise Jeebus! Ruff has Sharp back practicing with the 1st PP unit! Now there's still the little matter of Eaves taking up Sharp's spot on Spezza's wing, but progress is progress, ever how it comes.

In other lineup news from Heika, it looks like Kari in net, Moen in for Sceviour, and Nemeth in for Jokipakka.

Dobber Sports Ninja

How's Nich holding up on the top line? Looks like he's simmered down over the past couple games on the scoresheet

Dobber Sports Wizard

How's Nich holding up on the top line? Looks like he's simmered down over the past couple games on the scoresheet
    He looks good. That whole line has been a bit quiet of late. Yeah 5 pts in 5 games for Benn, and 6 for Seguin, but 4 of those came in one game. You can see him starting to learn how to use his size to protect the puck, to use that reach to poke check pucks loose. Sometimes though I do think he needs to learn to shoot a bit more, or not try to carry the puck right to the goalie's lap before he does shoot. Harder to get that elevation in close, may be due to his choice in stick too. I'd like to see him rip a few more from back in the slot, but hard to fault a guy too much for wanting to get the puck into that dirty area.

And it's those little things that will help keep him there. Ruff keeps trotting Eaves out on the second line in spite of little offense from him because the fancy stats say Eaves drives better possession numbers, supposedly. So there is some hope even with the lineup mix-master that Val will get a good run with Benn and Seguin as long as he continues to do the little things right.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    He looks good. That whole line has been a bit quiet of late. Yeah 5 pts in 5 games for Benn, and 6 for Seguin, but 4 of those came in one game. You can see him starting to learn how to use his size to protect the puck, to use that reach to poke check pucks loose. Sometimes though I do think he needs to learn to shoot a bit more, or not try to carry the puck right to the goalie's lap before he does shoot. Harder to get that elevation in close, may be due to his choice in stick too. I'd like to see him rip a few more from back in the slot, but hard to fault a guy too much for wanting to get the puck into that dirty area.

And it's those little things that will help keep him there. Ruff keeps trotting Eaves out on the second line in spite of little offense from him because the fancy stats say Eaves drives better possession numbers, supposedly. So there is some hope even with the lineup mix-master that Val will get a good run with Benn and Seguin as long as he continues to do the little things right.
    Thanks... only reason I ask is I recently reluctantly dropped him to pick up Hornqvist (I now have Kunitz/Horny) in anticipation of a Pens revival with the new coach and I'm feeling a bit of seller's remorse lol