Page 41 of 102 FirstFirst ... 31 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 51 91 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Dallas Stars

Thanks for your work man! Appreciate it .Besides my Panthers, the Stars is one of the few teams i really like to see winning. I hope donīt bring the jinx with me since usually my teams suck.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Like Colorado they're giving up way too many goals on too many shots, they need to fix that, Seguin can't carry them just by outscoring everyone
    A lot of that goes back to their generosity with turnovers, especially in their own zone. That's been a glaring issue. As I type that I still see that bonehead play from Jordie Benn the other night. Gloving the puck down in the neutral zone and then laying it perfectly right on a 'Yotes stick, in stride no less. Apparently he thought he was the one wearing red gloves and so that was his stick. It's repeated brain farts like that.

There's more to it than just that, but cleaning up the sloppy zone exits, better discipline on defense to cut down on the frequent as Daryl Reaugh calls it, scrambly play. That's where a lot of the third period problems have come from. Once something goes a bit off plan they unravel and end up looking like me when I try playing D on NHL14.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Like Colorado they're giving up way too many goals on too many shots, they need to fix that, Seguin can't carry them just by outscoring everyone
    His fantasy owners would love if they tried that strategy though! Haha

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    A lot of that goes back to their generosity with turnovers, especially in their own zone. That's been a glaring issue. As I type that I still see that bonehead play from Jordie Benn the other night. Gloving the puck down in the neutral zone and then laying it perfectly right on a 'Yotes stick, in stride no less. Apparently he thought he was the one wearing red gloves and so that was his stick. It's repeated brain farts like that.

There's more to it than just that, but cleaning up the sloppy zone exits, better discipline on defense to cut down on the frequent as Daryl Reaugh calls it, scrambly play. That's where a lot of the third period problems have come from. Once something goes a bit off plan they unravel and end up looking like me when I try playing D on NHL14.
    Put me firmly in the camp that thinks Jordie Benn is on the Stars because of his brother more than anything. I mean don't get me wrong, he obviously has enough talent to be serviceable. I can't remember how Dallas acquired him (via trade or waiver claim), but it didn't happen until after Jamie was made captain, and I seriously think Jordie got his break on a "who you know" basis.

How's Brenden Dillon looked so far this year? I've watched Stars game but I've never really noticed him. He was one of my favorite Stars last year, very solid and reliable D-guy.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Jordie was playing across town for the CHL's Allen Americans the same year his brother started in Dallas. I believe he was first signed by the Texas Stars a year before Dallas inked him to a deal, so yeah I'm sure his brother had some stroke and used it to help get Jordie's foot in the door, even if all it was was putting in a good word for him. Like you said he has enough talent to be serviceable as a third pairing guy but he's more of a career AHLer. I think he could be one of the first casualties once more of the prospects move up through the pipeline. He's only got one year left after this on his contract, and that should be about when a kid like Honka will start to see his window open for moving up. Jokipakka should be more developed and ready to go by then. Cameron Gaunce could be more a serviceable option on the third pairing. Plus there's the whole free agency and trade angles. I'm sure Nill will be active in those two arenas to get at least one veteran D.

About Brendan Dillon, I'm like you, I haven't really noticed him until they moved him up with Daley on the first pairing. He was skating with...you guessed it, Jordie, so his opposite number had a way of taking your eyes off of Dillon for all the wrong reasons. What I have noticed he's been like a lot of the team, forwards and D, really uneven from game-to-game and shift-to-shift even. Part of that was he played a lot on the right side to open the season. Jordie took the left, but mostly during his short time in the league Dillon has played on that left side. About a week ago Ruff made the move to put Goli on the right side on the second pairing and moved Dillon up to the left with Daley. More of a comfort thing for Dillon to help him get his game back.

Banned

Yeah those things tend to go hand in hand unfortunately. And you're right, they've been brutal closing out games, they're tied for 2nd last in GA in the 3rd period, behind only Buffalo

Dobber Sports Wizard

Mark Stepneski dropping a potential...bombshell...no that's too strong....big news....that's it

Hemsky could be healthy scratch against LA

Might as well. Not like his contributions will be missed. Can't miss what isn't there. I've got no clue how he can be this bad.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yeah those things tend to go hand in hand unfortunately. And you're right, they've been brutal closing out games, they're tied for 2nd last in GA in the 3rd period, behind only Buffalo
    Their winning percentage when leading after two periods is tied for dead last with Colorado at .400.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Re: Val injury, during camp they talked about him having growing pains, and a hip spur. He bulked up quite a bit this summer as well in the 220's pushing 6'5".

He is also in the doghouse a bit it seems with McGruff, and there are quite a few rumors floating about with Val being the target piece.
    C- Sharp, Marleau, Dubz
    LW- J Neal, T Hall,
    RW- Nichushkin, Ovechkin, Wheller, Tarasenko
    D- Markov, Shattenkirk, Del Zotto, Seabrook
    G- Lehtonen, Smith, Thomas
    12 Team Yahoo

IR -

Dobber Sports Wizard

Say whattttttt?!?! 2-0!!! I know what I'll be watching this afternoon. Now this is how to get the weekend started on the right foot.

Banned

Klingburg was the best d-man on the ice for the Stars. They all played well, even Benn, but it is obvious that Klingburg is up to stay. Won't be long before he bumps Daley from the top PP. The guy is going to be a very good defenceman.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Klingberg gets 18:32 TOI in his first ever NHL action. Plus 1:36 power play time with the second unit. Really thought he was impressive for his first game. Showed lots of jump, and he looks like a perfect match for the speed game of the Benn-Seguin line. Kid has a good set of wheels and isn't afraid to jump in on the rush. Damn near got his first goal trailing right on the heels of I believe, Hemsky maybe. Anyway he just, jjjust missed the rebound and had Smith beat if he gets his stick on it. And he can stickhandle too and isn't shy about firing pucks on net. I know I was high on Jokipakka after his first game and then he came back to earth a bit, so we'll see how Klingberg does from here on out but I think he's going to be just fine.
    So how Klingberg looked last night?
    Points only keeper league
    7 teams
    28 keepers
    Weekly line up: 12 F / 6 D / 2 G
    Goalie stats: W=2 / SO=2

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by franklin View Post
    So how Klingberg looked last night?
    I was at work last night so I haven't seen the game...yet. I've got all day so once I get some zzzz's I can fire up the DVR and really take my time and break it down. I do know looking at the recap on NHLdotcom he was third star, no points, but just shy of 24 min TOI. Two games in and already logging big minutes. I know it's small sample but the Stars were really high on this kid coming into camp and if not for offseason surgery for a hip issue he most likely would have broken camp with the big club. Only reason he didn't was they felt he needed a bit more conditioning.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I watched the whole game and Klingberg was the Stars' best dman. He is so smooth with his passes and positioning and very very smart. Grab him now if you can. It wouldn't shock me at all if he became a regular on the top PP very soon.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Wizard

To back up what VincentVega and 27Blue have already said, Klingberg was outstanding. Where do you start with the superlatives? Excellent vision, crisp passes, agile, good instincts to read plays offensively and defensively. And poised, so far I haven't seen him get rattled at all. He's even got the wheels to carry the puck end-to-end on his own stick and he knows when to jump up or pinch down and get into the play.

If I had a negative it would be his skinny frame. He has to be vigilant not to get obliterated, especially along the boards. That said, from what I've seen he's aware of it. He will stand his ground to make a play but still move in time to avoid a serious hit, whether completely or at least enough to make it more of a glancing blow.

All the usual caveats apply, sample size, just two games, etc.. Still lots to love here with this kid and it's going to be fun to watch him grow as he learns the NHL game. Everything he's done so far is even more impressive given that he's only played roughly 15 games in North America.

---------

Moving on. That save from Kari on Stoll.....that sh!t ain't legal!! I mean robbery is still against the law right? That. Was. Superhuman.

Eakin's line just continues to bring it. Garbutt and Roussel's speed and tenacity keeps teams back on their heels a bit. Eakin is one of those guys that just quietly does the little things right to help the team night in and night out. He'll never be a flashy numbers guy but him and his linemates are key contributors. With Spezza on the superline, Eakin's line has done a solid job of trying to be that secondary offense.

Across the board, with the possible exception of the power play, that was one of the most complete games they've played all year. This 4F/1D power play idea just isn't working and it's all down to too much passing not enough shooting. I'd like to see them go back to the traditional 3/2 and put Daley and Klingberg on the points on PP1. When they put Goli and Daley out there with Benn, Seguin, and Spezza the power play really clicked. Even if they don't put Klingberg there put Goli, but either way that should be the way forward.