Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: [RUMOUR] Leafs inquire about Bernier?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default [RUMOUR] Leafs inquire about Bernier?

Ok, so please don't crucify for me this but I found a little article on hockeybuzz.com (I know it's Eklund's site) but I like reading Mike Augello's articles on the Leafs. He's reporting that:

According to a Twitter report from Hockey Night In Canada's Andi Petrillo, the Maple Leafs have made an offer to the Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings for 23 year old backup goaltender Jonathan Bernier.

Full article can be found here:
    http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Mike-...nier/120/45635

I'd like to think that a guy from HNIC is not blowing smoke here so it looks legit...What do you guys think the initial offer was?
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Deity

Yep, I just posted earlier today the link to the twitter feed from Andi Petrillo where she stated this. (Petrillo is a female btw, not a male) Thats where Augello got his info from.

http://forums.dobbersports.com/showt...=136009&page=2

The second link I posted from another twitter feed mentions Frattin and MacArthur as pieces being offered up.
    Last edited by Axeman33; July 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

Burke is very protective of players on his active roster so I can't see him offering main roster stand-outs, at least initially. It likely involves a future 1st round pick and Kadri. My guess is that if a deal gets done it includes Reimer or Scrivens to serve as Quick's backup.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Burke is very protective of players on his active roster so I can't see him offering main roster stand-outs, at least initially. It likely involves a future 1st round pick and Kadri. My guess is that if a deal gets done it includes Reimer or Scrivens to serve as Quick's backup.
    To be honest I'm surprised that Burke has shown any interest given he stated he didn't want another unproven young G. Granted Bernier is likely better than what the Leafs currently have there is no guarantee.
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Dobber Sports Guru

Posturing perhaps? Trying to shake up Gillis to get Luongo at a discount?
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Pro

The Leafs need to get a franchise goalie somehow and hopefully will in the near future. It pains me to see Canadian franchises struggle, but Toronto's financial gains each year subside that a bit. Not sure if Bernier is a franchise goalie or not, but he has done well in limited action. I own Reimer in a league, but I am not sold on him, at least not at present.

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    Posturing perhaps? Trying to shake up Gillis to get Luongo at a discount?
    I can't see Burke eating Luongo's contract. It's just not his style. As a Leafs fan I'd prefer to have Luongo as I think his cap hit is very manageable but Burke is pretty strong on his principles and long-term deals like Luongo is definitely a sticky point with him.

Also I'm not sure Luongo even wants to go to TOR. He's stated in the past that he'd like FLA or CHI but has never mentioned (to my knowledge) anything about TOR.

I think Luongo dawning a Leafs jersey is a pipe-dream at this point.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Ross The Boss Palmer View Post
    The Leafs need to get a franchise goalie somehow and hopefully will in the near future. It pains me to see Canadian franchises struggle, but Toronto's financial gains each year subside that a bit. Not sure if Bernier is a franchise goalie or not, but he has done well in limited action. I own Reimer in a league, but I am not sold on him, at least not at present.
    I'd rather them bring in a veteran G. Biron would have been great! A guy that can step in a show the young kids (Reimer and Scrivens) what it takes to succeed. Riding two young G is a very risky business especially in TOR where you're expected to succeed no matter what! The combo of Reimer+Monster did not work but neither had any relevant NHL experience.

My preference would be to bring in a guy like Backstrom although I doubt MIN parts with him. He has one year left on contract. It gives Reimer a full year to be a true backup and learn from Backstrom. If that works out, sign Backstrom to a couple more years and keep that tandem in tact.

While I think Bernier has a ton of potential I think that Reimer has shown he has some upside as well and Scrivens sure looked good in the AHL this year...

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by kenzle1r View Post
    I'd rather them bring in a veteran G. Biron would have been great! A guy that can step in a show the young kids (Reimer and Scrivens) what it takes to succeed. Riding two young G is a very risky business especially in TOR where you're expected to succeed no matter what! The combo of Reimer+Monster did not work but neither had any relevant NHL experience.

My preference would be to bring in a guy like Backstrom although I doubt MIN parts with him. He has one year left on contract. It gives Reimer a full year to be a true backup and learn from Backstrom. If that works out, sign Backstrom to a couple more years and keep that tandem in tact.

While I think Bernier has a ton of potential I think that Reimer has shown he has some upside as well and Scrivens sure looked good in the AHL this year...
    Im sure the Oilers would love to trade a seasoned veteran name Khabibulin to any team looking for an experienced goalie. He has even won a cup! I dont think it would cost much either.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, SBennett

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Administrator

I actually think there have been a dozen offers for Bernier already and that depending on the team involved it may or may not be reported.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I actually think there have been a dozen offers for Bernier already and that depending on the team involved it may or may not be reported.
    I second this. You've gotta think that a team like Columbus would offer up much more than the Leafs would for a guy like Bernier. New Jersey and the Isles each have a need for a standout goalie and both could probably put together a better package than the Leafs could. Even if the Kings wanted to make sure Bernier was in the Eastern Conference there are many more places that make more sense than Toronto.
    10 Team H2H ESPN Keeper - G, A, PIM, FOW, ATOI, SOG, HIT, BLK, DEF, STP, W, SO, SV, GAA, SV%
    ================================================== ===========================
    Forwards: McDavid, Matthews, Ovechkin, Couture, Toews, Henrique, Perry, Perron, Maroon, Galchenyuk, Neal, R. Smith, Parise, Stastny, Konecny, Patrick
    Defence: Ristolainen, Josi, Hamilton, Giordano, Fowler, Ekholm, Schultz
    Goalies: Fleury, Lundqvist, Smith
    IR: Crawford

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by StuperousFunker View Post
    I second this. You've gotta think that a team like Columbus would offer up much more than the Leafs would for a guy like Bernier. New Jersey and the Isles each have a need for a standout goalie and both could probably put together a better package than the Leafs could. Even if the Kings wanted to make sure Bernier was in the Eastern Conference there are many more places that make more sense than Toronto.
    I can't see the Isles making a move for him simply based on the fact they have two young talented goalies in the system already. They're more in need of a proven vet like Nabby to mentor, much like TO.

10 team H2H !Y League (4 keepers - at least 1 must be a D-man OR Goalie)
    Start - 2C, 2L, 2R, 1U, 3D, 2G, 6Bench,​ 2IR, 2IR+ (Daily) (5 moves per week)
    Skaters - G, A, +/-, PPP,
    PIM, HITS, BS, GWG, SOG
    Goalies - Wins, Saves, S%, GAA (Min. 4 starts)
    Championships 2007, 2009, 2012, 2016, 2017,
    2019*, 2023

C-McDavid, Trocheck, Suzuki
    L-B.Tkachuk(C/L), Forsberg,
    Konecny(L/R)
    R-Hyman(L/R), Svechnikov(L/R), P. Kane
    D-Dahlin, ​Josi,
    G-​​DeSmith, Thompson, Hill
    IR
    -Demko

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by StuperousFunker View Post
    please name an eastern conference team that makes more sense than toronto.

to my knowledge, only florida and toronto needs a starter, and florida has markstrom already. njd is the only other team i can see doing it, but do they have a better package to offer than the leafs? doubt it, considering they still have to give up their 1st round pick.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post

to my knowledge, only florida and toronto needs a starter, and florida has markstrom already. njd is the only other team i can see doing it, but do they have a better package to offer than the leafs? doubt it, considering they still have to give up their 1st round pick.
    beat me to it, no way nj has anything LA wants outside of henrique, larsson, kovy, zajac, maybe the unproven josefson is in the mix as well, but if im LA i go kadri over josefson anyday of the week.

florida wont ever trade for bernier, markstrom is more highly touted and regarded in that organization. plus got clemmensen and theo as well.

I think clb is out of the running once they snagged bob from the flyers. im sure they HAD interest in bernier but they obviously didnt get a deal done and found it much cheaper to land bob and draft 2 solid goalie prospects in korpisalo and dansk.

the leafs this time imo are a legit fit, bobby lu is a pipe dream unless gillis gives him away for a pick + prospect + bottom 6 player (connolly, or bozak, when i say bottom 6 i mean according to leafs depth chart).

but bernier will come cheaper then bobby lu, LA has no glaring need other then an extra dman (toronto has plenty, or depth forward, again toronoto has some). As well it would allow the leafs to keep scrivens in the minors, and have two hungry goalies competing for the job, possibly forming a nice tandem in the future ala elliott/halak if all plays out well.

Still not saying its a done deal by far, but there isnt much better of a fit for bernier and LA then the leafs. They have also had trade talks in the past (brown at deadline, b.schenn (well their pick they took him with). ) We know deep down inside burke doesnt want scrivens full time if he can help it. vet help wise all they have is rolo, hasek, some vet backups who were never that solid as well. so if they cant get a vet in there with reimer, why not a young guy on the cheap (well cheaper) who can battle and push reimer even more then a biron could.
    12 team h2h keep 5 + 1 goalie
    *2012-2013 & 2013-2014 Champ
    G A PIM +/- hits SOG PPP
    c-Tavares, Mackinnon Eichel
    rw-Seguin, Tarasenko
    d-Josi
    g-Schneider

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post

I'd say that Florida already has their starter in Theodore. The fact that Luongo says he'd waive to go to Florida doesn't mean that Florida desperately needs a starter. The Leafs do need a starter for sure, but Bernier has proven that he's capable of being a #1 at the NHL level about as much as Reimer has, and their AHL numbers are strikingly similar. Bernier has draft pedigree over Reimer or Scrivens, but besides that the Leafs would be adding yet another unproven goalie, not a sure-fire starter. If Burke could bring Bernier in for cheap, like a 2nd round pick or something (like the Sens did with Bishop) I'd be fine with that, but surrendering a roster player and/or prospect for Bernier doesn't make much sense.
    10 Team H2H ESPN Keeper - G, A, PIM, FOW, ATOI, SOG, HIT, BLK, DEF, STP, W, SO, SV, GAA, SV%
    ================================================== ===========================
    Forwards: McDavid, Matthews, Ovechkin, Couture, Toews, Henrique, Perry, Perron, Maroon, Galchenyuk, Neal, R. Smith, Parise, Stastny, Konecny, Patrick
    Defence: Ristolainen, Josi, Hamilton, Giordano, Fowler, Ekholm, Schultz
    Goalies: Fleury, Lundqvist, Smith
    IR: Crawford