Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Dobber Forums 2012 Mock Draft?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    I'm on it, just give me a few.
    You didn't think Yakupov would go 1st overall??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Stud

#2. Columbus Blue Jackets

At the draft table the saying is always "take the best player available", but draft history has proved that it's not that simple to the NHL's GMs. Teams have certain philosophies with respect to drafting. Some teams focus on positional need more than others. Some prefer to draft out of the CHL and even particular leagues in the CHL. Then you have teams that not only draft out of the same CHL leagues repeatedly, they draft from specific teams on a very consistent basis. Prime example being Carolina, who has over the years drafted numerous players from the Plymouth Whalers and has gone with a Kitchener Ranger back to back in the first rounds in 2010 and 2011.

The Jackets do have a draft philosophy when picking in the top 10 in the NHL entry draft. They draft forwards. Since 2002 they have had a top 10 pick in every draft except 2009 and 2011 (when they traded the #8 pick for Carter), and with each of those top 10 picks they have drafted a forward. Nash, Zherdev, Picard, Brule, Brassard, Voracek, Filatov and then Johansen. In 2009 they went with Moore but were drafting at #21.

So I believe that the Jackets will draft yet another forward, even though the BPA may be Murray. And I believe that their choice is between Forsberg and Galchenyuk. I don't see them choosing Grigorenko, whose character and work ethic has been called into question.

Both Forsberg and Galchenyuk are highly skilled and came into the 2011/12 season as favourites to go in the top 10. And here they stand at the end of that season, still odds-on favourites to go not only top 10 but top 5. Galchenyuk has been praised for his spirit in coming back from a serious injury and wowed a lot of people at the combine apparently. Forsberg has been solid if not unspectacular and did nothing to shake the scouts' confidence that he is a top 10 talent. Either player might just be the BPA at #2.

Out of all those forwards drafted in the top 10, the Jackets took 6 out of the CHL and only one out of Europe (Filatov). Again, all things being equal I think they will stay within their comfort zone and choose a player from the CHL:

Alex Galchenyuk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vandalay; June 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Grammar

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    You didn't think Yakupov would go 1st overall??
    Didn't know we were starting tonight. Luckily I dropped in and happened to see I had a PM!

Quote Originally Posted by vandalay View Post
    Didn't know we were starting tonight. Luckily I dropped in and happened to see I had a PM!
    Nice write up buddy!!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Nice write up buddy!!
    Thanks man, glad you liked it. Looking forward to yours.

Dobber Sports Padawan

With Galchenyuk being taken, the Canadiens had to think long and hard about this pick. Having not used a pick this high since whiffing with Doug.W 1st overall, the pressure is on to get this right.

AG was the clear pick for Timmins and his staff to make but now, the future top line center of the Habs will have to be:

From the Quebec Ramparts, Mikhail Grigorenko.

A potential star with size and skill, the big question (perhaps an unfair concern) surrounding this Russian dynamo is his work ethic. The Habs make this selection knowing that Grigorenko could turn out to fill the glaring need for a big top center that has plagued this team for years.

At the very least, the French media will be pleased with the team drafting a player out of the QMJHL. I hope to god that he won't end up in the KHL.

So much for MG slipping to 17.

You're move Snow.
    Last edited by Bnhershy; June 21, 2012 at 12:02 AM.
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

I won't be up for that much longer.. So what are the chances the guys picking for Montreal, NYI, and Toronto are still up and ready??

The Great One

Who wants to make a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Who wants to make a trade?
    I just want to make a selection before I go to sleep..

I will check back in the morning before work if NYI and TOR have made their selections..
    Last edited by Zorro; June 21, 2012 at 12:32 AM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Btw big ev, you wrote that Grigs' QMJHL team is Montreal. It's Quebec.
    5th Year 12 Team Dynasty H2H, Daily Starts
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, PPP, SHP
    W, GAA, Sv%, Svs, SO

C: J.Spezza, A.Galchenyuk, E.Kuznetsov, M.Hanzal, V.Rask, S.Couturier
    LW: Z.Parise, M.Gaborik, T.Vanek, J.Skinner
    RW: C.Perry, J.Pavelski, P.Hornqvist, V.Nichushkin
    D: E.Karlsson, P.K Subban, J.Muzzin, R.Ristolainen
    G: R.Miller, S.Varlamov, D.Dubnyk

Prospects: Matthews, Kapanen, Vrana, Scherbak, Zadorov, Grubauer, Pickard, Aittokallio, Makarov, Reway, Guryanov, McCarron, Samsonov, Aho, Montour, Bowey

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bnhershy View Post
    Btw big ev, you wrote that Grigs' QMJHL team is Montreal. It's Quebec.
    i know, just messed up cause it's Montreal's pick.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

With the fourth overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, the New York Islanders are proud to welcome, from the Everett Silvertips of the Western Hockey League
    Ryan Murray.

An impressive player in a multitude of ways, Ryan Murray has been on the map for a while. That's without his World Junior appearance and World Championship experience all this past year. One of the older 2012 eligibles, Murray is a complete two-way defender who likes to model his game after the likes of Scott Neidermayer.

Murray is an excellent skater. He utilizes a fluid stride and terrific foot work to burn defenses in a multitude of ways. His skating, alone, is used as an offensive weapon. He has the ability to carry the puck and many times, lead a rush on his own. He also shows great mobility in all four directions for his defensive game.

*texte tiré de Brian Huddle sur hockeybuzz(dot)com!.. (no time this morning)!
    Last edited by McFly; June 21, 2012 at 7:43 AM.

Man, how do you guys keep adding these amazing pictures to your posts?? They are just plain awesome!!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ev, sign me up for the Rangers, please!

Dobber Sports Pro

Brian Burke and staff walk to the podium mildy dissapointed that every player he wanted is off the board at this point. Wishing he could trade down but not finding a suitor he went into a frenzy trying to decide who to take. When all was said and done Burke and staff were proud to select with the 5th pick in the 2012 NHL Entry from the United States National Development Team Program Jacob Trouba

At 6'2 and 194 pounds Trouba has great size to compliment the Leafs backend. He was one of the few bright spots on the Americans World Junior team that otherwise was dissapointing after a lackluster performance. He prides himself in his two way game and is a very good skater for a man his size. He doesnt back away from the rough stuff either and likes to get his nose dirty. He is an underrated puck mover who possesses a heavy shot from the back end. There isnt much risk involved with this pick and the reward is great if he achieves his potential once he fills out his 6'2 frame he will be a force to be reckoned with. The blend of size,skill and hockey sense this kid has, should have many NHL teams upset that hes off the board this early. Burke although recognizing this is earlier then many expected him picked are happy they got a chance to select him and not another team. With the potential future defence of:
    Gardiner-Trouba
    Phaneuf-Schenn
    Percy-Blacker

Leafs fans should be very excited!
    Straight Points keeper league. Keep 5 Forwards,3 defence,1 goalie.

F: Nicklas Backstrom, Joe Thornton, Henrik Zetterberg, Zach Parise, Logan Couture

D: Erik Karlsson, Alex Pietrangelo, Oliver Ekman-Larsson

G: Sergei Bobrovsky