Thread: Shinnimin? What's the scoop...

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Shinnimin? What's the scoop...

So I am drafting prospects right now in a league, and I have been doing some research for available prospects and I came across the CHL player of the year, Brendan Shinnimin... he has put up some ridiculous numbers the past couple of years... so it leads me to a couple of questions... whats the scoop with him not being on everyone's radar? and why is he still available?

can anyone give me the inside story on this kid?

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzin View Post
    So I am drafting prospects right now in a league, and I have been doing some research for available prospects and I came across the CHL player of the year, Brendan Shinnimin... he has put up some ridiculous numbers the past couple of years... so it leads me to a couple of questions... whats the scoop with him not being on everyone's radar? and why is he still available?

can anyone give me the inside story on this kid?
    Here's my take on Shinnimin :

Observations :
    The first thing you need to know about Brendan Shinnimin is that he is determined, passionate and a big team player. He recently wrapped up the 2011-12 season as the CHL's leading scorer with 58 goals and 134 points. While an impressive feat, note that Shinnimin was an overaged player at 21 years old.

What I think separates the overaged undrafted Shinnimin from the pack is that, like you stated, it wasn't his first big season. Secondly, the Phoenix brass gave him a big sniff last training camp. Being thrilled by his play, they offered Shinnimin an AHL contract, but he positively declined due to having unfinished business in the WHL.

Key Stats :
    The last WHL player to hit 134 points was during the 1998-99 season.
    The last CHL player to hit 134 points was Patrick Kane (2006-07)
    Over the course of his WHL career, he has posted 337 points in 267 games.
    Ended his junior career on a 38 game point streak (83 points total).
    Won the Bob Clarke (leading WHL scorer), Four Broncos Memorial Trophy (WHL player of the year), Dodge Top Scorer of the Year (CHL) and CCM Player of the Year (CHL).

Fantasy Outlook :
    Boom or bust prospect. I'd like to say he's on the boom side of the spectrum. Upside can be compared to a feisty Steve Sullivan. He can score and isn't afraid to drop the gloves if need be.

Dobber's 2012 Prospect Guide states : Kyle Turris, 75-plus points, 80+ PIMs with an ETA of 2014-15.

I completely agree with this assessment. If you have a spot to burn on your farm, Shinnimin makes for a great hidden gem prospect. The best kind of satisfaction if it pans out!
    Last edited by GMGates; June 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Prodigy

thanks for your input! i ended drafting him.

could you do a quick analysis of my St. Louis farm team as it looks in my signature?

I...am your father.

Pick up the Fantasy Prospects Report! If you don't crap yourself from all the awesomeness, then I will refund your money. Serious.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Banned

Why would he be ranked to Kyle Turris? Pretty different style of players.
    Last edited by Big Ev; June 18, 2012 at 6:15 PM.

I...am your father.

As I note in the "notes" section, I never compare upside to style. In fact, often they are so opposite it's ridiculous. Instead, I compare stats upside with stats. Surely you read the notes?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Banned

I didn't, no. Thanks for clarifying.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like Mark Stone more. Liked him in the WJC, he's not undersized...similar stats but why I really like him is that he plays for Ottawa. Shinnimin plays for Dave Tippet, as a Turris/Bdker owner, I really don't like how Dave Tippet turns scoring fwds into dump and chase machines 2-way machine. The offense takes too long to come through.

Like Andy Miele, I expect his road to the NHL to be slow.