Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Closing Time

Dobber Sports Stud

Arizona situation is huge. Putz is likely gone. So its Bell or Hernandez. Bell gets the job first but its just a matter of time till Hernandez gets it, IMO.

Dobber Sports Deity

As per yahoo:

Joel Hanrahan was diagnosed with damage to the flexor tendon in his right elbow today.

Advice: The flexor tendon is what protects the ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow. Hanrahan has yet to decide whether he will rest and rehab the injury or undergo season-ending surgery. Either way, he is facing an extended absence. Feel free to drop him in fantasy leagues
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    As per yahoo:

Joel Hanrahan was diagnosed with damage to the flexor tendon in his right elbow today.

Advice: The flexor tendon is what protects the ulnar collateral ligament in the elbow. Hanrahan has yet to decide whether he will rest and rehab the injury or undergo season-ending surgery. Either way, he is facing an extended absence. Feel free to drop him in fantasy leagues
    Confirmed, Hanrahan is gone for the season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Bailey and Tazawa will battle it out for the closers job.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    Confirmed, Hanrahan is gone for the season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Bailey and Tazawa will battle it out for the closers job.
    uehara may yet take over, though is as injury prone as bailey.
    dobber pro 2012-2013; campbell conference

c; b richards, ribiero, desharnias, zajac
    lw; sedin, e kane, pacioretty, kunitz
    rw; kessel, callaghan, cole, paranteau
    d; chara, seabrook, souray, leddy, markov, s elliott
    g; rinne, elliott
    bench; garon, giguerre, hodgson, orpik, d roy
    ir; nobody, yet

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by spitball View Post
    uehara may yet take over, though is as injury prone as bailey.
    Its anybody's guess lol. Tazawa gave up a home run to Lind earlier today so not the best first impression when you're trying to keep the game tied.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Does anyone have news on Brian Wilson?

I've be holding him hoping he would be returning at some point this season (or future) and be a top 5 closer again...

RP has almost always been a strength of mine... but its been screwed up this season...

I dropped Jason Grilli to start the season due to age and expected strength in my staff and I added Bruce Rondon as a prospect that looked like he could step in (but I was not disappointed when he did, outlook is still strong)...

I own John Paplebon, Joakim Soria & Andrew Bailey as my main guys with Wilson... (at any given time 2 of my closers have shoulder problems...

(I've also moved Mariano Rivera and Huston Street away from my team in the past 2 years due to the expected strength of my big 4... so far thats 41 SVs I could have had this year compared to the 12 I currently have lol...)

Due to DL positions and the fact my lg includes Holds (the main reason I had Grilli before along with Ks) I also picked up John Broxton as an insurance option that had been a closer and Jake McGee (who I really enjoy other than ERA/WHIP)

Anyway back to Wilson, is there any word on him returning or am I holding on on to a 31 yr old name that wont be returning?
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Jason_Banks View Post
    Does anyone have news on Brian Wilson?

I've be holding him hoping he would be returning at some point this season (or future) and be a top 5 closer again...

RP has almost always been a strength of mine... but its been screwed up this season...

I dropped Jason Grilli to start the season due to age and expected strength in my staff and I added Bruce Rondon as a prospect that looked like he could step in (but I was not disappointed when he did, outlook is still strong)...

I own John Paplebon, Joakim Soria & Andrew Bailey as my main guys with Wilson... (at any given time 2 of my closers have shoulder problems...

(I've also moved Mariano Rivera and Huston Street away from my team in the past 2 years due to the expected strength of my big 4... so far thats 41 SVs I could have had this year compared to the 12 I currently have lol...)

Due to DL positions and the fact my lg includes Holds (the main reason I had Grilli before along with Ks) I also picked up John Broxton as an insurance option that had been a closer and Jake McGee (who I really enjoy other than ERA/WHIP)

Anyway back to Wilson, is there any word on him returning or am I holding on on to a 31 yr old name that wont be returning?
    Wilson has many red flags.

1. He's likely asking for too much money.

2. He's a very fragile player.

3. His WHIP (most important pitching stat) has risen every year for the last three years.
    2010: 1.18
    2011: 1.47
    2012: 3.00

4. His Batting Average Against is also trending in the wrong direction, as shown below.
    2010: .220
    2011: .240
    2012: .400

5. He's got an enormous ego that started with the whole "Fear the Beard" thing. I would bet money he still hasn't shaved despite being out of work lol.

6. Doesn't seem like the greatest "team" guy, they've shown him live on TV before doing ridiculous things and pissing off teammates.

7. High paid closers are starting to become a thing of the past, especially in regards to free agents.
    Last edited by dmvincent; May 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by dmvincent View Post
    Wilson has many red flags.

1. He's likely asking for too much money.

2. He's a very fragile player.

3. His WHIP (most important pitching stat) has risen every year for the last three years.
    2010: 1.18
    2011: 1.47
    2012: 3.00

4. His Batting Average Against is also trending in the wrong direction, as shown below.
    2010: .220
    2011: .240
    2012: .400

5. He's got an enormous ego that started with the whole "Fear the Beard" thing. I would bet money he still hasn't shaved despite being out of work lol.

6. Doesn't seem like the greatest "team" guy, they've shown him live on TV before doing ridiculous things and pissing off teammates.

7. High paid closers are starting to become a thing of the past, especially in regards to free agents.
    too be fair... 2012 stats are useless information.... he pitched all of 2 innings...

and I don't put much into that trend as that is really only 2 years, and in 2009 year it was 1.20 .223... so his number actually was a reduction one of those years...

I'll still take a pitcher that has a .250 OPBA and a 1.5 WHIP who puts up 35+ SVs, and 9 K/IP average and a few wins that is 31 years old... personallity and demand red flags be damned that's till a top level closer...

I'm only concerned with his health and job finding ability... or if I'm holding a guy that doesn't want to play again....
    Current Roster:

F: H Sedin, Plekanec, Perry, Cammalleri, Oshie, Stepan, Anisimov, Kunitz, Justin Williams, Little, Baertchi, Huberdeau, Eberle, Rattie, Hoffman, Holland, Horvat, Dano, Dal Colle, Kerdiles

D: Boumeester, Green, Carlson, Del Zotto, Myers, Alzner, M Staal, Pouliot, Gormley, Mueller

G: Varlamov, Mrazek, Niemi, Vasilevski, Ramo, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Veteran

No point in bothering with Wilson unless there's NOTHING else left. I'm sure there's someone a little bit better around.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Veteran

Jim Henderson went on the DL with a strained hammy. Officially, they will use a closer by committee but it appears K-Rod is being given the first shot at it. Pick him up now if you need the saves.

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

Dobber Sports Stud

Jim Johnson has blown another save in spectacular fashion! They've got to be wondering about him now, this is almost as many runs as he allowed all of last year. Who are the most likely candidates to fill in IF he's removed from the role?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Both JJ and Rodney are sucking it up this season...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Rodney has had 4 clean appearances in a row and is beginning to turn it around. The buy low window will be totally gone soon.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Betancourt and Huston Street to the DL. Neither should be out super long but grab their replacements.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Jim Henderson taken off the DL by Milwaukee but it appears K-Rod will remain closer for right now. The Manager wants to help him get his 300th save (he's at 298 now), but since he's been very good, why put Henderson back in until he falters?