Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Thomas moved to...

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post
    I just feel bad for Bruins fans. It must be just awful rooting for an otherwise contending team forced to deal with a flaky, eccentric personality, and being undermined by questions and distractions at one position.

Plus there's that awful $5 Million dollar cap hit that's still going to be tieing managments hands a whole year from now.

I sure do feel sorry for those poor bastards.
    Please tell me you are kidding here?? You feel bad for us?? Really??

HAHA, is it even worth it?? Naaah, free pass this time!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Expert

I bleed the yellow and black and have ever since I was 13. I do not personally disagree with anything Tim Thomas has done as person. Does not visiting the White House make him a bad American? Not in the least. He had the balls to stand up for his own personal convictions, something obviously a majority of people do not.

As for taking time off for family reason's any parent here would do the same; family trump's hockey. Is the man a monster for simply prioritizing the things in his life the way he sees fit? The NHL pays the man, it doesn't dictate every facet of his life. Job loyalty is a thing of the past and people have learned to look out for numero uno because no one else is going to and that is the same in this case.

Furthermore all the whining that this move will push the Bruins into some horrendous situation next year is garbage and totally blown out of proportion. Please provide exact facts on the aforementioned and I'll glady see your opinion as valid. Right now most of this is blowing smoke. Give us Rask for the rest of the year and it'll work out.
    73M Cap, Partial Keeper: 4F(ANY) 2D, 2G, Year : H2H Daily 2C/2LW/2RW/1F/4D/2G, 16 Teams

Pro

C: Eichel Seguin
    LW: Ovechkin, Lee
    RW: Marner, Palmieri Buchnevich, Simmonds
    D: Karlsson Byfuglien, Petry, Muzzin
    G: Rask, Murray Jarry

Farm (Max 200 GP):
    C. White, Vrana, Hischier, Sikura, DeSmith

Stat Categories

Skaters
    FOW(.1) G(4) A(3) PPG(1.5) PPA(1) SHG(3) SHA(2) GWG(1) SOG(.2) +-(1) PIMS(.1) BLK(.2) HIT(.2)
    Goalies
    W(6) L(-1) SHO(5) SV(0.1) GA(-0.2) GAA(Range of -1 to 8) SV%(Range of -1 to 8)
    Twitter:@RogerWi1co

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Please tell me you are kidding here?? You feel bad for us?? Really??

HAHA, is it even worth it?? Naaah, free pass this time!!
    I think he was being sarcastic. Cause Bruins only have 1 year with the goalie issues, Flyers have many many many more years with the above situation :P

Dobber Sports Master

So just to be clear, we know for a fact that this is due to a family issue (we don't) and that Thomas is a bigger hockey saint than Lidstrom (he isn't) and that anyone who doesn't care for his actions is a dick (I am, but for different reasons).

Right.

Maybe one of his kids has a rare condition which is only treatable at higher elevations (like Denver) or maybe it turns out that Thomas is just moving out of Mass. because they have same sex marriages and he doesn't want his family subject to that?
    Some assume the worst, some assume the best, and some just assume that they're right.

This quote doesn't much help:
    “The reason why, I’m not exactly sure. But he did give some reasons regarding family,” Chiarelli told reporters in a conference call originally scheduled to discuss the contract extension of forward Daniel Paille. “As of right now, I’m operating under the premise that he will take a year off.”
    The fact that he hasn't laid it out for his GM makes me pause. Chiarelli strikes me as the kind to not throw someone experiencing a tough time under the bus. If you can't flat out tell your GM why you aren't going to honour your contract then I'm not inclined to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Meh, it's not like Boston needs more championship parades these days so the city can suck it up for a year with no really difficulty.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Loch View Post
    So just to be clear, we know for a fact that this is due to a family issue (we don't)
    We do actually. That's been covered repeatedly and never been in question. The exact nature of the 'family' issue wasn't immediately known but why is that anyone else's business but his own? I'm not sure how you operate at your job Loch but I certainly don't go around my office blabbing about personal family shit.

Thomas posted the following link to his facebook page with the title 'see why hockey is just not that important right now'?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/form...do-to-stop-it/

So my guess is that he is worried about a global economic meltdown (which I actually agree with him, is becoming more and more of a distinct possibility as time goes on). So put yourself in that position for a moment, (whether you think he's crazy or not is irrelevant, all that matters is how convinced HE is). If you really believed that it was imminent then wtf do ypu care for another $3mil when you already have millions in the bank? Wtf do you care if that currency is soon to become worthless? Wouldn't you be converting it to tangible goods (food, guns, ammo, survival gear) and not worrying about what the Boston Bruins are doing?

and that Thomas is a bigger hockey saint than Lidstrom (he isn't)
    no one ever said that either...what I did say was that he has always conducted himself with class and honor and by all appearances seems like a hell of a nice guy so why all of a sudden are so many so quick to demonize him and assume he's doing it to screw the Bruins

and that anyone who doesn't care for his actions is a dick (I am, but for different reasons).
    The dick comment was in response to dyz's post calling his actions a 'dick move' which I felt were way outta line. How can it be a dick move when he is exercising all his rights under the CBA? If you don't like it then change it in the next CBA, but don't hate the guy for playing by the rules and putting his family first, that really is a 'dick move'

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    We do actually. That's been covered repeatedly and never been in question. The exact nature of the 'family' issue wasn't immediately known but why is that anyone else's business but his own? I'm not sure how you operate at your job Loch but I certainly don't go around my office blabbing about personal family shit.
    AMEN!!... McGoo, family always comes first and the "whys" or "what fors" are not anyone elses business no matter what your career is.

IMHO, Tim Thomas is an individual that stands up for his own beliefs and is to be commended for it.

Dobber Sports Master

I don't blab personal shit, but if I needed to step away I would be damn sure that I gave the big boss (who has treated me well) an honest explanation of why. If Thomas had done that Chiarelli would probably have said 'Thomas needs to step away from the game right now and we respect his decision and wish him the best'... but Chiarelli doesn't know exactly what's going on and I think that reflects badly on Thomas.

Thomas posted the following link to his facebook page with the title 'see why hockey is just not that important right now'?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/form...do-to-stop-it/

So my guess is that he is worried about a global economic meltdown (which I actually agree with him, is becoming more and more of a distinct possibility as time goes on). So put yourself in that position for a moment, (whether you think he's crazy or not is irrelevant, all that matters is how convinced HE is). If you really believed that it was imminent then wtf do ypu care for another $3mil when you already have millions in the bank? Wtf do you care if that currency is soon to become worthless? Wouldn't you be converting it to tangible goods (food, guns, ammo, survival gear) and not worrying about what the Boston Bruins are doing?
    ^ That is not family shit... and it doesn't deserve my sympathy.

As for other stuff.... the Bruins and Thomas signed a contract. The Bruins followed their side and Thomas is walking away from his. I fail to see how the Bruins are the bad guys here and how Thomas is being 'protected' by the CBA.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Thomas confirms he'll sit out.

https://www.facebook.com/TimThomasOf...11285465622556
    From the earliest age I can remember, I've wanted to be a hockey player. I've been blessed in my life to not only be able to live that dream, but to achieve more than I ever thought possible.

The singleminded focus that is necessary to accomplish a dream of this magnitude entails (by necessity) sacrifice in other areas and relationships in life.

At the age of 38, I believe it is time to put my time and energies into those areas and relationships that I have neglected. That is why at this time I feel the most important thing I can do in my life is to reconnect with the three F's.

Friends, Family, and Faith.

This is what I plan on doing over the course of the next year.

On top of this, I will continue to train using the ARP/POV system www.ultrafitevosport.com and work with G-Form www.g-form.com in the development of protective equipment.

What does this portend for the future?

We'll see….God's will be done.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Plugs some products with his departure. Wow.
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Banned

^ That is not family shit... and it doesn't deserve my sympathy.
    How is it NOT family shit? You might not share his views on the topic, you might think he's crazy or a crackpot or whatever but I think its safe to assume that he means what he says and is taking this very seriously. I mean how many people up and move their whole family halfway across the country like that mid-season? So for him its not just family shit, its the most serious of survival family shit. So no sorry dude, but you don't get to apply your own narrow-minded view of the what qualifies as 'valid' concern for one's family and loved ones to everyone else across the board, it just doesn't work that way.

You live in Vancouver right? There is increasing evidence that a major (like Tohoku-size major) earthquake is going to hit off the coast of Oregon/Washington sometime in the near future (next 20 years? next 50 years? they don't really know, aside from the fact that its overdue). If you felt that this threat was immediate and real and you acted to move your family to safety do you think its fair for someone like me to come in and tell you how that's bullshit and not worthy of sympathy or respect?

Sorry dude, but **** everything about that.

As for other stuff.... the Bruins and Thomas signed a contract. The Bruins followed their side and Thomas is walking away from his. I fail to see how the Bruins are the bad guys here and how Thomas is being 'protected' by the CBA.
    He's not walking away from jack shit, if he doesn't play he doesn't get paid, its just that simple. Chris Pronger has 5 years left on his contract, you think he should should have to play it out too? How is that any different? He signed the contract right? And you're all about honoring the contract right? The CBA is written the way it is because players who are 35+ need to make different types of decisions than players in their 20s. When you're almost 40 you've got a million other things that factor into your decision...how your body feels, how healthy you are, what kind of chance you have to take one more good shot at a cup but more important than all that is that you are invariably married with kids and that trumps everything in my book. The Bruins have absolutely no one to blame but themselves in this situation, they knew (or should have known) the CBA rules going into the deal, they knew the cap hits, they knew the age of Thomas, they knew how good Rask was. They ****ed up, they shoulda signed him to a more favorable deal for their franchise. Now they're trying to make Thomas the scapegoat for making a decision he feels he needs to make that is best for him and his family and I think that's shitty. If the Bruins had an ounce of sense they'd work hard on a deal with the Avs, I susect TT would be amenable to that and it could be a win-win for everyone. But so far they seem more intent on sullying the man's name and as long as they continue to behave like that I support Thomas taking a year off 110%

Your hatred of Thomas seems to have carried over from the finals last year, you need to get over him man
    Last edited by mister_mcgoo; June 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM.

Banned

I support Tim Thomas 100%. Enjoy the time away from the game. Don't hurry back, it's not important right now.

Sincerely,

all Sens fans.

Dobber Sports Master

How is it NOT family shit? You might not share his views on the topic, you might think he's crazy or a crackpot or whatever but I think its safe to assume that he means what he says and is taking this very seriously. I mean how many people up and move their whole family halfway across the country like that mid-season? So for him its not just family shit, its the most serious of survival family shit. So no sorry dude, but you don't get to apply your own narrow-minded view of the what qualifies as 'valid' concern for one's family and loved ones to everyone else across the board, it just doesn't work that way.
    But I have accept your interpretation of what is a valid family issue right? No inherent contradiction in that logic whatsoever.

You live in Vancouver right? There is increasing evidence that a major (like Tohoku-size major) earthquake is going to hit off the coast of Oregon/Washington sometime in the near future (next 20 years? next 50 years? they don't really know, aside from the fact that its overdue). If you felt that this threat was immediate and real and you acted to move your family to safety do you think its fair for someone like me to come in and tell you how that's bullshit and not worthy of sympathy or respect?

Sorry dude, but **** everything about that.
    Actually I live on Vancouver Island. However if I did feel it was unsafe I would have every right to move. Thomas moved his family as was his right.
    However I see some a problem with your analogy. A global economic melt-down isn't going to affect Boston and not Denver, so this isn't bullet dodging any way.
    There's a guy who works for the same company I do who is selling off everything and moving to Sask. because he heard that it has the best survivabilty for the 2012 end of world. He gave his notice and is selling off his assets and moving. Do I think he's a bit nuts? Yeah. But he isn't impacting anyone by his decision and his bosses know exactly why he is leaving. That's playing it straight up and fair.

He's not walking away from jack shit, if he doesn't play he doesn't get paid, its just that simple. Chris Pronger has 5 years left on his contract, you think he should should have to play it out too? How is that any different? He signed the contract right? And you're all about honoring the contract right? The CBA is written the way it is because players who are 35+ need to make different types of decisions than players in their 20s. When you're almost 40 you've got a million other things that factor into your decision...how your body feels, how healthy you are, what kind of chance you have to take one more good shot at a cup but more important than all that is that you are invariably married with kids and that trumps everything in my book. The Bruins have absolutely no one to blame but themselves in this situation, they knew (or should have known) the CBA rules going into the deal, they knew the cap hits, they knew the age of Thomas, they knew how good Rask was. They ****ed up, they shoulda signed him to a more favorable deal for their franchise. Now they're trying to make Thomas the scapegoat for making a decision he feels he needs to make that is best for him and his family and I think that's shitty. If the Bruins had an ounce of sense they'd work hard on a deal with the Avs, I susect TT would be amenable to that and it could be a win-win for everyone. But so far they seem more intent on sullying the man's name and as long as they continue to behave like that I support Thomas taking a year off 110%

Your hatred of Thomas seems to have carried over from the finals last year, you need to get over him man

So because the Bruins signed a contract they expected Thomas to honour they should be prepared to accept the consequences of him not honouring it? The logic here eludes me. If they'd jerked him around or benched him or put him in the minors then yeah, walk away, but that is clearly not the case. Thomas is stepping out on his deal and it has consequences for his team (and him, in that he doesn't get paid, but he knew that anyway). This isn't my opinion, it's a fact. He feels that his 'personal' issues make this acceptable. Some people agree (you) and others disagree (me). I have as much right to tell you you're wrong as you do to tell me I'm wrong.

As for the Bruins scapegoating him?
    "Tim came to me toward the beginning or middle of May and told me he's seriously considering taking the year off," said Chiarelli. "The reason why, I'm not exactly sure. He did give some reasons regarding his family.When you hear someone say, 'Seriously considering,' he's probably going to do it.

"Right now I'm operating under the probability that he'll take the year off and we'll have to operate without Tim Thomas. I'm a little dissappointed -- more than a little. But these things happen and you've got to deal with them. When someone talks about their family, you've got to respect it."
    Now that's how you sully a man's name^
    (from Boston Globe)

To quote someone handy with words in these forums: F**k everything about that.
    Last edited by Loch; June 3, 2012 at 4:44 PM.
    /S

Victoria DH

Banned

But I have accept your interpretation of what is a valid family issue right? No inherent contradiction in that logic whatsoever.
    Now you're being obtuse, you can think whatever you want of other people's interpretations of what constitutes a 'family issue', if you think its silly then that's your perogative, but you should at least have the grace and common sense to respect that not everyone sees the world the same as you do. What's a family issue for you might not be for me, what's an issue for TT might not be for you, etc. There's a huge difference between agreeing with someone and respecting their right to their opinion and you seem to be confounding the two. Bottom line is that when it comes to family/friends/loved ones I don't think anything is off limits because I think that's 99% of what matters in this life. You feel otherwise apparently, which I think is short-sighted and narrow-minded, but I certainly respect your right to feel that way.

However I see some a problem with your analogy. A global economic melt-down isn't going to affect Boston and not Denver, so this isn't bullet dodging any way.
    There's a guy who works for the same company I do who is selling off everything and moving to Sask. because he heard that it has the best survivabilty for the 2012 end of world. He gave his notice and is selling off his assets and moving. Do I think he's a bit nuts? Yeah. But he isn't impacting anyone by his decision and his bosses know exactly why he is leaving. That's playing it straight up and fair.
    For the record, I believe he lives in Colorado Springs, not Denver...the latter being a bastion of dirty liberal hippies and hipsters, and the former being very much an 'America **** Yeah' kinda place...it is amongst the most conservative cities in the US due to all the military bases and such. So actually its you not thinking this through well. If a global economic meltdown occurs, its definitely going to affect everywhere, but choosing you location is key...its going to be chaos, the gird will probably collapse, no power, no fresh water, no food, no gas. It will be armageddon, riots everywhere etc. If that all comes to pass where do you think is going to be safer for your family? In the middle of a highly populated area with few natural resources or in a less populated area where you can set up a self-sustainable home that's easy to defend? You can also buy a helluva lot more house in CO than in Boston, so if that's really what he's going for it makes sense that he can set his family up well with lots of stockpiled food and stuff.

As far as being 'straight up and fair' goes (which you seem obsessed with in this scenario), again you seem to have a realy hard time putting yourself in TT's shoes. I have no idea how he came to this realization but it seems that it was fairly sudden so who knows, maybe he has it on good advisement from someone in the know, its hard to say. But whatevr, that' all irrelevant, if he truly believes this is coming and coming soon, then nothing to do with the Bruins matters in the slightest.

So because the Bruins signed a contract they expected Thomas to honour they should be prepared to accept the consequences of him not honouring it? The logic here eludes me. If they'd jerked him around or benched him or put him in the minors then yeah, walk away, but that is clearly not the case. Thomas is stepping out on his deal and it has consequences for his team (and him, in that he doesn't get paid, but he knew that anyway). This isn't my opinion, it's a fact. He feels that his 'personal' issues make this acceptable. Some people agree (you) and others disagree (me). I have as much right to tell you you're wrong as you do to tell me I'm wrong.
    They should be prepared for ANY of the eventualities provided for by the CBA yes, to not do so is to act naively and foolishly. Its no different than drafting a flashy Russian in the 1st round, you have to do so with an understanding of the risks involved in such an action, you have to go into it knowing that you might get burned and th guy might piss off to the KHL and never return. The CBA is clear on the 35+ clause, it is there for many good reasons and its to the benefits of the players who have given their all for the game we love are protected in their senior years.

Plus you keep saying that he is choosing to 'NOT honor his contract' (acually you keep saying 'not honour his contract' but that's another discussion entirely )), but he's not saying he's not going to honor his contract, he's simply choosing not to do this year because hs family is more important to him. If and when he comes back to the league, he still owes the Bruins a year, if he welches on that then you might have something to stand on but as of now, not so much sorry

As far as rights to tell me I'm wrong and all that, I have no idea what you're prattling on about there, I never suggested otherwise. In fact my whole argument was that it was wrong for you to judge a man and mandate what was and was not an acceptable family issue

As for the Bruins scapegoating him?

Now that's how you sully a man's name^
    (from Boston Globe)

Perhaps 'sullying' is too strong a word, but the comments on this subject have been decidedly cold IMO. And I am unfairly mingling the official statements of Bruins as a franchise with the talking heads on TV, the media and the fans who are saying some pretty hateful things about the man. But ultimately I feel that considering he won them a cup I would expect a little more support and tact from the organization and for them to work harder to work out something that would benefit both parties instead of taking this kind of hardline approach.

Chiarelli's comments are telling I think: "The reason why, I'm not exactly sure. He did give some reasons regarding his family"...wtf is that? Who says it like that? He makes it sound like he either didn't delve into the matter (in which case he's a poor GM) or that he's blatantly dismissive of the actual reasons, that he doesn't think much of them. Either way its kind of a snarky way to phrase it. To me it feels like these two men had words and there's now some friction between them which is bad for the Bruins because they could probably have worked something out had they been more open-minded.
    Last edited by mister_mcgoo; June 3, 2012 at 6:00 PM.

Dobber Sports Master

How you're being obtuse, you can think whatever you want of other people's interpretations of what constitutes a 'family issue', if you think its silly then that's your perogative, but you should at least have the grace and common sense to respect that not everyone sees the world the same as you do. What's a family issue for you might not be for me, what's an issue for TT might not be for you, etc. There's a huge difference between agreeing with someone and respecting their right to their opinion and you seem to be confounding the two. Bottom line is that when it comes to family/friends/loved ones I don't think anything is off limits because I think that's 99% of what matters in this life. You feel otherwise apparently, which I think is short-sighted and narrow-minded, but I certainly respect your right to feel that way.
    But you do nonetheless reserve the right to call me obtuse... ~sigh~
    Last edited by Loch; June 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM.
    /S

Victoria DH

Dobber Sports Stud

Loch.... Do you have a wife and kids?
    14 team Fantrax H2H keeper league
    G, A, P, SOG, Hits, Blocks, FOW, - W, Gaa, Sv%, Svs

C - Crosby, Tavares, Kopitar, Toews
    LW - Hall, Giroux(C), Vrana, Gaudreau
    RW - Pastrnak, Kane, Stamkos(C), Kubalik
    D - Burns, Murphy, Morrisey, Cernak, Whitecloud, Chiarot
    G - Mrazek, Campbell, Brossoit, Greiss
    Bench - Middlestat, Wennberg, Perron, Olofsson, Schwartz, Atkinson, Yama