Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeper D Decision - Points Only

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Keeper D Decision - Points Only

Hi all,

I'm in year 3 of a keeper league. Points only, no other stats. Goals and assists are worth the same amount. Need to decide between the following:

Enstrom
    Streit
    Campbell

Leaning towards Enstrom due to age, and historical consistency (other than last year due to injury), but the Jets are not a high offense team, and Byfuglien gets more ice time in key situations. Enstrom seems like a #2 option.

Steit is solid, and on an offensive team with offensive upside, but not young.

Campbell ripped it up last year, but not sure if he can do it again, and stay healthy.

If you had to pick 1 for a keeper league, who would you pick? if you could keep 2 of them, which 2 do you keep?

Looking forward to some good discussion.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Welcome to the boards!!

Tough call...all three are guys that I consider to be capable of being 50 point guys. If I were ranking them I'd say:

Enstrom - Youngest of the bunch and is tremendously underrated, consistently hits 50 points and is more important to the team than Byfuglien is IMO.

Campbell - Talent was never in question, Campbell was always the smooth skating skilled offensive d-man even during his down years in Chicago...just became buried in Chicago's depth I think. Questions whether or not Florida will be able to maintain the offense they put out this year.

Streit - Underrated due to his age IMO, has consistently been at or close to 50 points in the past four seasons. Still a pretty legitimate threat to hit 50 points and the fact that +/- isn't counted helps. Campbell and Streit are close to me, but I'll give the edge to Campbell due to age.

Dobber Sports Icon

In a pts only Im taking Campbell.

I am weary about Enstrom maintaining 50pts with the emergence of Bogo.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Welcome to the boards!!!

I would go with Campbell and Streit, as I think they're the best bet to provide the most points of that group.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Welcome to the boards friend!

In a points only league I like them Streit by a margin, then Campbell and Enstrom.

Dobber Sports Recruit

thanks for the feedback guys. And the welcoming comments! Here is what i'm seeing, tell me if you agree:

Enstrom
    Career Pts/Game: 0.54
    Last Year Pts/Game: 0.53
    Avg Games Played: 76
    Projected Pts: 41

Campbell
    Career Pts/Game: 0.52
    Last Year Pts/Game: 0.65
    Avg Games Played: 80
    Projected Pts: 42

Streit
    Career Pts/Game: 0.59
    Last Year Pts/Game: 0.57
    Avg Games Played: 74
    Projected Pts: 44

The projections below are just a multiplication of their career avg. pts per game by the career avg. games played in a season. It supports the fact that these guys are all very close, but does put Streit slightly ahead of the group. He also had a down season last year (still 47 pts) given he was coming off a year-long injury. However, his age does work against him.

I am leaning towards keeping streit only because he is NYI's absolute #1 option on the powerplay, and get the offensive time with Tavares, Moulson, etc., so I think that he will get a lot of 2nd assists.

I feel like Campbell had an outlier of a year, as did the Panthers. I could be wrong, but i just don't see him, or any other d-man for that matter, sustaining a 50+ pt pace each year. Other than Lidstrom and Gonchar, no one has done that consistantly (see Yandle, Vishnovsky, etc.).

Enstrom's age does make me want to keep him though, but i agree with one of the comments that Bogosian may take time away from Enstrom.

Thanks again for everyone's comments. Further input and/or other analysis that I have not considered are very welcome, as i'd love to see what everyone thinks.

Dobber Sports Icon

If you dont mind Streits age he is definitely the way to go here.

I only said Campbell because he was a couple years younger and their numbers in a pts lg will be close.

But Streit should be given the edge.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Streit will probably get the most points next season if I was to guess. Campbell is a great option aswell if you think Streit is too old. Enstrom is too soft. But Enstrom might also get traded.. Lots of rumors rolling around WPG that see Enstrom leaving town, he's not really a Claude Noel guy I don't believe..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Demi-God

How many teams in the league? How many keepers, who and at what position? What is your draft position looking like? Starting roster positions?

Dobber Sports Recruit

14 teams in the league. each team has to have:
    3 x C
    3 x LW
    3 x RW
    4 x D
    1 x G
    4 x bench (any position)
    2 x IR spots available

We have to keep 8 players, at least 1 of them has to be a d-man. I have the last pick (14th) in the first round.

Essentially, I am deciding if I should keep 2 of these 3 d-men, or if I should just keep one of them, and thereby open a spot to keep Jonathan Quick (whom i also have). Quick is not worth as much in our league, because goalies only contribute points for wins and shutouts, and while he is solid, he takes a lot of games to get his 35 wins, there are better goalies out there for that.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Wait... am I reading this correctly?

Only two d-men on that list have had back to back seasons of 50+. That's Enstrom and Streit. Campbell has had 2 50+ seasons but they occurred 3 years apart.

Enstrom has averaged 0.62 points per game the last three seasons, Campbell 0.55, Streit 0.64. Hell, even when you look ONLY at this season, Campbell is only at a .65 scoring clip. AND he's 33 years old - are people really putting the guy with the least impressive point pace and the 2nd oldest at the top of their lists?

If I'm in a balls to the wall compete now phase, I'm taking Streit. I think he's a better option than Enstrom. However, he's 34 - Enstrom is 27. We're talking about a 7 year gap and near identical production.

Win Right-the-f*ck-now: Streit, Enstrom, Campbell

3 Year Scope: Enstrom, Streit, Campbell

Long term: Enstrom, Streit, Campbell

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Streit for me as well. He had an off year and is a perfect buy low candidate right now.

Campbell is a sell high guy. Kulikov will have more ice time this year ie take a "little" away from Campbell.

For Enstrom, as long as Buff stays healthy all year, will share points with him. If Enstrom was the certain #1 I'd say go with him. He is younger than the other two. Keep an eye out to see if they trade him....or pick up some offensive help....either could effect his #'s.
    Until then, Streit is the safest best here IMO. JT has not hit his ceiling yet so #'s for everyone surrounding him should rise. Good luck and welcome to the board!
    14 team points only league
    9 forwards (3 of each position)
    4 defense
    2 goalies
    farm team option
    Must submit top 4 pointing players back into draft at end of every season
    14 rounds
    Can only carry over 12 players each year

Dobber Sports Guru

In a pts only keeper my first choice would be Enstrom. Byfuglien and Bogosian are similar in that they are not slick passers but have big shots from the point, whereas Enstrom is the one with the breakout passes and excellent vision from the backend. I dont see Bogosians emergence as a detriment to Enstrom at all.

As for Campbell and Streit I dont see much difference between the 2 of them. I would likely side with Streit as a second option.

Dobber Sports Genius

I'm leaning the other way here. For me it's

-Campbell
    -Streit
    -Enstrom

But all very close IMO. 38-50 point guys.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm with Dyz on this one. I'm kind of suprised with the responses as well.

I'm going Enstrom, Streit, Campbell for now, 3-year scope and long term. I would wait at least one more season to see how Enstrom does until I put him in the Streit/Campbell tier.