Poll: What is Scheifele's upside?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Mark Scheifele?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    Jets have no need to rush him up. The time isn't now. He may make the team solo based on the Jets not being active in free agency... assuming they aren't which I believe will be the case. He will most likely spend time with St. Johns. I also peg Ivan the Great to spend time with St. Johns this season.
    He won't spend any time with St. Johns, as he is not allowed to play in the AHL.

Playing him in the NHL next season would not be rushing him, in my opinion. Unless he bombed and looked like complete shit after a month or so.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    He won't spend any time with St. Johns, as he is not allowed to play in the AHL.

Playing him in the NHL next season would not be rushing him, in my opinion. Unless he bombed and looked like complete shit after a month or so.
    That's a good point; it's either the OHL or the big league this season, and I'm not sure another season in the OHL will do him any more good than time with the Jets. He's responsible defensively, so I could see him playing 3rd line minutes, along with some 2nd PP time.

I could see it going either way. Neither would surprise me, but it would be great if he can contribute this coming season.
    Last edited by CascadeFilly; May 28, 2012 at 6:26 PM.

Dobber Sports Stud

Why can't he play in the AHL? What's the rule?
    Go Jets Go

Featured Columnist for the Winnipeg Jets
    http://bleacherreport.com/users/386108-anthony-capocci

Follow for Winnipeg Jets Updates
    www.twitter.com/CapocciJETS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
    Why can't he play in the AHL? What's the rule?
    Too young. The player has to be 20 years old by December 31. If not, he will have to wait until the CHL season is over.

If he was a late 1992 birthday, he would have been eligible to play in the AHL next year.

Dobber Sports Stud

Too young. The player has to be 20 years old by December 31. If not, he will have to wait until the CHL season is over.

If he was a late 1992 birthday, he would have been eligible to play in the AHL next year.
    Thanks for clarification. I figured there were an age rule.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Padawan

Does this mean he has to order the Mac and Cheese Pirate Pak when the team goes out for dinner if he plays in the NHL?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Dobber's prospect report has Scheifele a few years away. Saying one more year in the OHL followed a year in the AHL would be good for him. That is contrary to a lot of the fantasy hype I see around him.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    Dobber's prospect report has Scheifele a few years away. Saying one more year in the OHL followed a year in the AHL would be good for him. That is contrary to a lot of the fantasy hype I see around him.

Thoughts?
    This sounds on par with what the local Jets website Illegal Curve had to say:
    http://illegalcurve.com/2012/06/04/w...ne-year-later/

I think it would be a mistake to bring him into the league this coming season. It's unfortunate that he can't play in the AHL, but he may not even be ready for that in some ways. If he's brought along at a proper pace he should turn out to be a very good player.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post

Thoughts?
    He played very well this year but didn't "dominate" on the level of Huberdeau, Bartschi, etc. so I don't think an extra year will hurt by any means.

OHL next year, AHL at least part of the following year with a few cups of coffee, then full time NHL in 14-15 seems about right to me.

Banned

He's good enough for the NHL. He was already playing a ton of minutes this year. Will be a waste to make him play there again. Bring him over and give him sheltered minutes in the NHL and it won't hurt him at all. He was on pace for over 90 points this season, which is more than enough. That is dominating the league (Top 4 at least in points).

Anyways, he's more of a Ryan Getzlaf type player, somebody who didn't have the greatest stats in junior in comparison to some other players.

There's no chance he would have his first full season in 14-15.

I disagree with the writer big time when they say he clearly isn't ready for the pros. Don't really know what they're basing that on.

Sorry to sound like a broken record haha.
    Last edited by Big Ev; June 6, 2012 at 5:36 PM.

Banned

side note, but why the heck do writers keep turning to Corey Pronman for opinions on players. The guy isn't a scout.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm not sure where he fits in.

Ladd-Little-Wheeler seems to be the cemented first line with Little being the top line center.

Gotta figure Kane is going to play with Burmistrov next season. Possibly Scheifele if he makes the team. My point is, I'm not sure how they'll utilize Burmistrov and Scheifele in terms of second and third line centers.
    Go Jets Go

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Little isn't the guy you want as your ideal 1st line centre though, he's a 2nd and I see Burmi/Scheifele both having higher upsides.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... But I believe Little has also played a significant amount of time on the Wing so far in his NHL career. When Scheifele arrives and with Burmy continuing to develop I could easily see them bumping Little to the wing.

I think even more out of place than Little as 1C, is Ladd as a #1 winger. On a good team, he's still an elite 3rd liner or average 2nd liner to me. On a bad team, he's a #1 winger.

Dobber Sports Master

Answered the poll too fast. He will surpass 71 pts...just no chance it's next year. Next year it's in the 40s IMO. Like 42 ish....44 max.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck