Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Columbus lets Petr Straka re-enter the draft

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Columbus lets Petr Straka re-enter the draft

Two other picks - right winger Petr Straka (2nd round, No. 55) and defenseman Brandon Archibald (4th round, No. 94) - have been informed by the Blue Jackets that they won't be signed, sending them back in the pool of draftable players for next month's draft in Pittsburgh.
    http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...-set-free.html

Another example of good drafting by the Blue Jackets.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Administrator

Straka hasn't done anything since his good rookie season in the Quebec league. Not only is he a long shot to make it, but he lost his best opportunity for upward mobility now that he's out of Columbus.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Straka hasn't done anything since his good rookie season in the Quebec league. Not only is he a long shot to make it, but he lost his best opportunity for upward mobility now that he's out of Columbus.
    I know stat's aren't everything but he did have 22 points in 21 playoff games this year. But not like the BJ's need guys who step in the playoffs...

Still wasted 2nd round pick by Columbus.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

, Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    RW-
    D-
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

*UHL Champion 2014*

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    I know stat's aren't everything but he did have 22 points in 21 playoff games this year. But not like the BJ's need guys who step in the playoffs...

Still wasted 2nd round pick by Columbus.
    He probably needs more development time than teams are willing to give him.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Dumb by Columbus. Straka is a decent prospect that has some scoring upside

This franchise needs to be turned upside down.

Dobber Sports Icon

What really surprises me is that Goaltender Mathieu Corbeil remains unsigned, and the Jackets still aren't sure if they want to keep him in the fold.

Come on Mason and York? Why not take a take a chance on Corbeil, the top goalie in the QMJHL this year

From Portzline:

Corbeil, named the QMJHL's goalie of the year, is 16-0-1 in this year's playoffs, with a 2.18 goals-against average and .917 save percentage.
    Those numbers will cause many readers to scratch their temples and wonder: "How could they possibly not want this guy?" What the Blue Jackets are trying to determine is if Corbeil is a product of a powerhouse hockey club or a goaltender with legitimiate NHL potential. These are the questions that keep scouts up late at night.
    Last edited by sparrowtrini; May 18, 2012 at 3:53 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    From Portzline:

Corbeil, named the QMJHL's goalie of the year, is 16-0-1 in this year's playoffs, with a 2.18 goals-against average and .917 save percentage.
    Those numbers will cause many readers to scratch their temples and wonder: "How could they possibly not want this guy?" What the Blue Jackets are trying to determine is if Corbeil is a product of a powerhouse hockey club or a goaltender with legitimiate NHL potential. These are the questions that keep scouts up late at night.
    The fact that they don't have a handle on this situation yet is the most telling sign of what's going on in Columbus. They drafted him two years ago - plenty of time to track his development and have the answer to this question already.

I...am your father.

How do you know he wasn't offered a contract verbally, just kicking tires, when he said through his agent that he has no interest in playing for them. Ever.
    ????
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    How do you know he wasn't offered a contract verbally, just kicking tires, when he said through his agent that he has no interest in playing for them. Ever.
    ????
    That's what I told them when they contacted me about a contract.

Dobber Sports Deity

Straka was probably the best player on the ice for Rimouski against the Mooseheads during their entire playoff series. Everytime the puck was on his stick, he looked electric. The Moose couldnt take the puck from him. He might not have scored everytime he had the chance, but he easily looked like a top Q player from the games I watched.

Surprised by this news for sure.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Straka was probably the best player on the ice for Rimouski against the Mooseheads during their entire playoff series. Everytime the puck was on his stick, he looked electric. The Moose couldnt take the puck from him. He might not have scored everytime he had the chance, but he easily looked like a top Q player from the games I watched.

Surprised by this news for sure.
    Sounds like it was his call, not the Blue Jackets
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Icon

????
    This is the first thing i thought when i heard this.

Just when you thought things might get better for them. I just dont trust Howsen at all. And he has the keys to move Nash?

Was Todd richards the right choice to rehire as coach? I cant believe his record in the 2nd half. Its skewed(see below)

Interesting article at yahoo. Didn't look to see if it was posted.

Blue Jackets name Todd Richards head coach, because what else were they going to do?

Can a coaching move symbolize both stability and instability? The Columbus Blue Jackets removed the interim tag from coach Todd Richards on Monday, making the former Minnesota Wild bench boss the sixth head coach in franchise history.
    He took over from Scott Arniel on Jan. 9, and went 18-21-2 under Richards at a time when Rick Nash's future cast a foreboding shadow over nearly every game.
    [Related: Dale Hunter steps down as Washington Capitals coach]
    From a stability standpoint, it could be argued this was a smart decision. The Jackets showed resiliency late in the season, going 11-8 in March and April. They also showed a cohesion and competitive spirit that was missing at the start of the season, when James Wisniewski's suspension, Jeff Carter's apathy and Steve Mason resembling Sonny Corleone's car at the toll booth. So maybe that's something to build on.
    From Aaron Portzline of Puck-Rakers, more on the stability Richards might bring:
    Between newly-acquired defenseman Jack Johnson and his playing partner James Wisniewski, the Jackets seemed to discover a kernel of leadership and accountability in the dressing room, although judging losing clubs in (relatively) meaningless games can be a foolish practice.
    A potentially turbulent off-season lies ahead for the Blue Jackets. Nash still is likely to be traded, and the Blue Jackets plan to aggressively pursue trades this summer, including one that will land a proven No. 1 goaltender to replace embattled Steve Mason. The Jackets hold the No. 2 overall pick at next month's NHL draft in Pittsburgh.
    The hope is that Richards will provide stability behind the bench.
    That's hope, alright: That Richards will be a familiar face in turbulent times, rather than an outside brought in to fix a mess and/or manage a dramatically different team. But this summer of change is the reason why Richards's hiring also feels like a sign of instability.
    Many Blue Jackets fans feel Scott Howson should be on his arse now, and there's evidence to support that point. But he's still the GM, and will likely be the guy that trades Rick Nash.
    (Unless there's some miraculous reconciliation and reconsideration of feelings from Nash; if Richards becoming head coach plays a role in that, then Howson deserves free beer for life in Columbus pubs. Unless, of course, it's better to trade Nash and fill the roster. It's debatable.)

But next season is likely Howson's last whack at the piñata. Turning Richards into the team's head coach isn't the sexiest move for energizing the fan base, but it's the expected move from ownership when you have a GM that might be out the door if results don't improve.
    You don't bring in a high-profile, expensive head coach if the general manager's future is in question. Unless, of course, you're the Maple Leafs.
    Is Richards the right fit for the Blue Jackets?

Dobber Sports Guru

Sounds like it was his call, not the Blue Jackets
    What are you basing this?

I'm saying this is Blue Jacket's choice. If they see Straka as worthy of a contract but he doesn't want to sign it, then Columbus would trade him.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

, Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    RW-
    D-
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

*UHL Champion 2014*

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    What are you basing this?

I'm saying this is Blue Jacket's choice. If they see Straka as worthy of a contract but he doesn't want to sign it, then Columbus would trade him.
    I believe they receive a 3rd and a 5th as compensation in this year's draft. So it's kind of like trading them away.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I believe they receive a 3rd and a 5th as compensation in this year's draft. So it's kind of like trading them away.
    There's only compensatory picks for not signing your 1st round picks. Columbus isn't getting anything by not signing Straka.

Since Columbus says two weeks before the deadline that they won't sign Straka, to me, is a strong implication it's a team decision not to sign him. Otherwise they'd be quiet and working the phones to get his rights traded if they see him worthy of a contract and therefore having value.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

, Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    RW-