Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Ryan Suter UFA

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    so you're now gonna just choose to ignore the portions of the thread that were the genesis of all these comments in the first place because it suits you huh? OK that's about par for the course with you so far, so by all means, go ahead and cherry pick whatever you wish, but run along now, the adults are trying to discuss
    To clarify, I wasn't cherry picking, it was an honest mistake that I missed it. That is why I said I had the opinions of Praba and myself in mind and not the other comment, and then I agreed with you on that comment. As far as adults go, the way that I have handled this dispute shows I am the adult here and I know many people would agree with me on this one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by grindin griers View Post
    To clarify, I wasn't cherry picking, it was an honest mistake that I missed it. That is why I said I had the opinions of Praba and myself in mind and not the other comment, and then I agreed with you on that comment. As far as adults go, the way that I have handled this dispute shows I am the adult here and I know many people would agree with me on this one.
    ok fair enough, if you missed that and then I missed you saying so then I am at fault and I apologize sir. I was trying to wrap my head around how you could be possibly interpreting the initial comment otherwise and that led to the confusion and vitriol. The sole point I'm driving at here is that if he DID actually say something like that then I want to know it for certain and confirm it because there are several Canadian teams I feel could make a play for him and he's undoubtedly a world class talent so that could really shake things up

Dobber Sports Initiate

ok fair enough, if you missed that and then I missed you saying so then I am at fault and I apologize sir. I was trying to wrap my head around how you could be possibly interpreting the initial comment otherwise and that led to the confusion and vitriol. The sole point I'm driving at here is that if he DID actually say something like that then I want to know it for certain and confirm it because there are several Canadian teams I feel could make a play for him and he's undoubtedly a world class talent so that could really shake things up
    Cool. I definitely could have been clearer as well. We good?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    my point is, suter's family is coming first before everything...that means the contract and potential of a stanley cup will come second (obviously those are still important factors, but he's still going to put his family first). he'll decide as a family where to go...he's from wisconsin and plays in nashville...if he's going to sign a long term deal (lets just say 10 years), he'll make sure it is with a city his family will love and be comfortable with. i'm sure he will sacrifice 1-2M if need be to ensure that, as well as signing with a team not as good if need be (i.e winnipeg offers him 9M for 10 years, detroit offers him 8M for 10 years, minny offers 7M for 10 years, and he chooses minny because his family prefers it better than the cold envirtonment of winnipeg and the sketchy parts of detroit or w/e)

anyways, what it comes down to is...ryan suter has 100% control of where he's gonna go since he'll be a UFA...if it is really about his family like he says, do you honestly think he'll take his family to montreal, which is predominantly a french speaking city? dont get me wrong, i love partying there, its an awesome place, but if you are born as an american, it means youve pretty much had no exposure to the french language...is he really going to make his wife and kid go there and struggle a bit (not to mention the cold ass winters), when they could have it much easier staying in the states?

and yes, im not sure if there is a stat per say, but im sure most american born players, given the choice to sign a long term contract, would prefer to sign in america than canada. im sure that case applies for almost anything...if you are married with a kid, and youve lived in the states for a few years, would you suddenly want to move to canada for 10+ years, when you have complete control of where you can go?
    Yes his family is coming first, that was in my initial post that started this thread, I think its safe to assume I grasped that portion of the article praba, I don't understand that whole first half of yuor argument because we are in complete synch on that...maybe we are saying the same thing but not realizing it?

As far as him being a Wisconsin native...Wisconsin is very different from Nashville: different weather, different vibe, different people, different values, diffferent food etc etc, so I don't buy this whole 'he HAS to play in the Michigan-Illionois-Minnesota' argument because he and his family were obviousy able to adjust quite well to the change in scenary once already, I would argue that his words at face value refelct his motivations much more. He is looking for a solid franchise to invest in him long term where he can move somewhere good to raise a family, many of us have the exact same goals in life, its not a stretch to understand where he is coming from.

And as to the Americans moving to Canada argument I don't disagree that it has an impact because it does, but its not as dramatic as you are making it out to be I don't think. Moving to Edmonton or Winnipeg is one thing, I can understand more reticence on that front, but Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto and Vancouver are beautiful world class cities that have a leg up on many of the American franchises. So if its between DET and Canada and family is the #1 factor I'm moving to Canada in a heartbeat, Detroit is a shithole, I'd never want to raise a family there. But now Chicago is different beast, its a beautiful city, that feels more small town, the people are friendly and its got a great vibe to it. But then take NYC, its a great city to visit but raising a family here is not ideal.

Finally as to Montreal, having lived in Montreal for almost a decade I know how awesome it is as a city and as a hockey town and how great it would be to raise a family there. I also have an American wife and we are going thru much the same sort of discussion, trying to decide where we will settle down to raise our family, the pros and cons of each etc. So while I would agree with you that Montreal might not be at the top of his list, I don't think it follows from that that he's already eliminated it from consideration. He probably doesn't know much about the city, but he's got a handful of ex-Habs he can ask for the low-down in NSH so it may be a location he considers. Also, language is a non-issue in Montreal, everyone is billingual anyway, and where he would be living it would be very English anyway.

Anyway, the Montreal speculation was largely wishful thinking, my gut tells me he will re-sign in NSH. Its not a true hockey city but the team takes very good care of its players, the city is charming in its own way, nice weather, etc and where the players live is very richy rich and safe so I can easily see him staying put

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by grindin griers View Post
    Cool. I definitely could have been clearer as well. We good?
    yes absolutely, and sorry for any misunderstanding on my part

Dobber Sports Master

The Flyers will be in the thick of it if Suter doesn't re-up in NSH. The sum of Pronger's and Jagr's contracts will pay for Suter. I don't think we would have to juggle that much to make room for him. If he wants to play for us, he'll be wearing orange and black.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    The Flyers will be in the thick of it if Suter doesn't re-up in NSH. The sum of Pronger's and Jagr's contracts will pay for Suter. I don't think we would have to juggle that much to make room for him. If he wants to play for us, he'll be wearing orange and black.
    like it's already been said, Pronger's cap hit counts whether he retires or not. After Suter saying he wants to sign somewhere for the long-term, I highly doubt the Flyers have a chance after the Bryz debacle. You can't have another long-term deal like that IMO.

Also comparing Nashville and other places to Philly in terms of family and living quality? Not really close.

I'd put the Flyers low on the list in terms of probability.

Dobber Sports Ace

I've never liked him, I think he's obnoxious and incredibly biased (both towards all things Leafs first of all... and second to that towards specific players and other members of the hockey community). And he completely lacks a normal speaking voice when live...he has this singularly annoying habit of always sounding like he is yeling at you.

When he first began I hated him absolutely because he was all those things as well as the fact that he was completely ignorant...over the years however, he has shed much of that ignorance so when he's discussing objective subjects I think he has value, otherwise he's still just a biased big fat talking head. -lol So for example, I read his prospect report every year because he does a nice job of it and he puts in the time to make it valuable...if he wasn't a douchebag tv personality I think he'd make a fine scout but whatever, it is what it is

anway...fungchen or someone was teasing me for ranting against him one day and told me I should just put it in my sig so I did
    Interesting view, I tend to hear him more on the radio and some guys just don't come across great on TV I guess.

To be fair though he is a hockey generalist and doesn't really try to only do one thing.

He is still 10 times better than Mike Milbury
    14 team keeper league (keep 15 plus 3 prospects)
    19 active, 8 bench, 2 prospects less than 40 NHL games. Play h2h with postions 3c, 3lw, 3rw, (3 felx forwards) 5d, 2g

C-E.Stall, Plekanac,Thorton, Turris, Little
    LW_Elias, Heatley (RW), Pacioretty
    RW-Erat
    D-Keith, Yandle, OEL, Giordano
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(Farm) Beau Bennett, Jaden Schwartz

Follow me on Twitter @HardyintheWack

(draft in process)

Banned

McKenzie is pretty down to earth. He used to post on HFBoards.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
    He is still 10 times better than Mike Milbury
    absolutely...ditto for Pierre McGuire

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    McKenzie is pretty down to earth. He used to post on HFBoards.
    that doesn't surprise me in the slightest...that place was made for dudes like him