Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grigorenko diagnosed with mononucleosis

Dobber Sports Padawan

When I posted this, I was thinking that it would affect his draft rank in a positive way...not negative. I think that it may explain his performance in the playoffs, and it should give a boost to his value. I am pretty sure that scouts and GM now look at Couturier and realise that a mono isn't a serious reason to pass on a talented prospect.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    the mono won't matter but the poor play to end the year will probably matter a bit.
    But the poor play might be explained by the mono...

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    yeah but its an ebb and flow thing, it cycles like anything else, right now the OHL is the clear dominant league for sure...but also I would argue that while the WHL produces more draftable players overall, a lot of them tend to be journeymen types, they usually lack the big name studs that the O or the Q does...the future studs of the league (though in recent years we've seen Eberle, Hopkins, Schenn, etc so its probably gotten murkier than I am imagining but that's my general impression)
    I really think that there is a problem in minor hockey in the province of Quebec right now...it is not a problem wiht the QMJHL, but in the way the players are developed through minor hockey. Less and less good players are playing in the Q. There is a need to rethink the way we bring the elite players in minor hockey to junior. In the last 15 years, not a lot of impact players were drafted from the Q that played their minor hockey in the province...especially players that are not wearing goalie pads!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    When I posted this, I was thinking that it would affect his draft rank in a positive way...not negative. I think that it may explain his performance in the playoffs, and it should give a boost to his value. I am pretty sure that scouts and GM now look at Couturier and realise that a mono isn't a serious reason to pass on a talented prospect.
    Mono was never a reason Couturier dropped. People just like to think it is. It's a bogus excuse. His playoffs were a big reason he dropped.

Banned

But the poor play might be explained by the mono...
    Yes, but he was still a candidate to drop regardless of mono due to a number of factors previously discussed.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Mono was never a reason Couturier dropped. People just like to think it is. It's a bogus excuse. His playoffs were a big reason he dropped.
    Once again, I am not saying that he dropped BECAUSE he had mono, he dropped because his stats DUE TO mono were disappointing. Playoffs included.

Banned

Once again, I am not saying that he dropped BECAUSE he had mono, he dropped because his stats DUE TO mono were disappointing. Playoffs included.
    Nope. He had mono in the fall. Doesn't affect him in April-May, come on. It's not about stats too, he got shut down by a 5th round, small player. And guys aren't drafted based on their stats.

Banned

I really think that there is a problem in minor hockey in the province of Quebec right now...it is not a problem wiht the QMJHL, but in the way the players are developed through minor hockey. Less and less good players are playing in the Q. There is a need to rethink the way we bring the elite players in minor hockey to junior. In the last 15 years, not a lot of impact players were drafted from the Q that played their minor hockey in the province...especially players that are not wearing goalie pads!
    that surprises me because there is certainly no shortage of brilliant and passionate hockey minds in Quebec, I wonder why it is that they aren't getting the right people in the program to encourage the best talent

Dobber Sports Wizard

Yes, but he was still a candidate to drop regardless of mono due to a number of factors previously discussed.
    Factors never brought up until after the WJC when he had an ankle injury and came back to the Q at less than 100%. And even then, these "effort" issues were only seriously discussed in one article by an anonymous scout who for all we know was playing propaganda to get Grigorenko to drop. All I've heard from people who've actually watched Grigo consistently is that he's always the best player on the ice. It was from one article which of course has spread like gospel all across the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev
    Nope. He had mono in the fall. Doesn't affect him in April-May, come on. It's not about stats too, he got shut down by a 5th round, small player. And guys aren't drafted based on their stats.
    Stats play a role in scouting, no matter how much some people say they don't. Of course teams were disappointed that Couturier could only replicate his 96 points from the year before instead of blowing that number away. To say that wasn't a knock on him, I personally feel is totally false. And that lack of scoring progression can be traced in large part to SC's bout with mono.

Yes there were other factors that played into SC's fall at the draft, but if he goes and scores 110 points instead of 96, I think his struggles in the 2nd round of the playoffs gets overlooked a bit more.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree with Ev that there's a chance this guy drops at the draft.....not saying he will, just that there's reason to believe there's a chance of it.

Everyone here examines things through their fantasy hockey lens and sees the points upside...I get it, but from what I've seen of this kid the questions of effort and heart are completely justified and should be a major concern for any NHL GM. There are some rock solid d-men who would be a great addition to any NHL team who come with NONE of the question marks that Grigs does so couldn't it be said that a GM's job would be safer to go with a guy like Murray or Dumba in the top 5?

Dobber Sports Stud

Just want to point out the the QMJHL also covers Atlantic Canada, although I'm not sure I should have to considering the best player to come out of the Q in recent memory is from Nova Scotia and the future number one pick of the 2013 draft also hails from Gods Country.

If I dig a bit deeper into this and examine the past few years of drafting out of the Q I find:

2011 notables:
    Huberdeau (Quebec)
    Couturier (New Brunswick)
    Beaulieu (Ontario)
    Phillips (New Brunswick)
    Danault (Quebec)
    Jurco (Slovakia)
    Chris Gibson (Finland)

2010 nobales:
    Gormley (PEI)

2009 notables:
    Kulikov (Russia)
    Carron (Quebec)
    Despres (Quebec)

2008 notables
    Luke Adam (Newfoundland)
    Jake Allen (New Brunswick)

2007 notables:
    Voracek (Czeck)
    Perron (Quebec)

It certainly does seem that there has been a distinct lack of talent coming out of Quebec in the past few drafts. I can only count about 5 notable players drafted in the first 3 rounds of the drafts dating back to 2007 and for a province of almost 8 million that is very poor representation considering all of Atlantic Canada combined is just over 2 million.

I guess you do have reason to be upset....maybe the league should be re-named the AMJHL

I have to disagree with your assessment that there are less and less good players coming out of the Q, it looks to me like the 2011 draft was a bumper crop and the 2013 crop should rival that.
    Last edited by 4horsemen; May 10, 2012 at 9:15 AM.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    Just want to point out the the QMJHL also covers Atlantic Canada, although I'm not sure I should have to considering the best player to come out of the Q in recent memory is from Nova Scotia and the future number one pick of the 2013 draft also hails from Gods Country.

If I dig a bit deeper into this and examine the past few years of drafting out of the Q I find:

2011 notables:
    Huberdeau (Quebec)
    Couturier (New Brunswick)
    Beaulieu (Ontario)
    Phillips (New Brunswick)
    Danault (Quebec)
    Jurco (Slovakia)
    Chris Gibson (Finland)

2010 nobales:
    Gormley (PEI)

2009 notables:
    Kulikov (Russia)
    Carron (Quebec)
    Despres (Quebec)

2008 notables
    Luke Adam (Newfoundland)
    Jake Allen (New Brunswick)

2007 notables:
    Voracek (Czeck)
    Perron (Quebec)

It certainly does seem that there has been a distinct lack of talent coming out of Quebec in the past few drafts. I can only count about 5 notable players drafted in the first 3 rounds of the drafts dating back to 2007 and for a province of almost 8 million that is very poor representation considering all of Atlantic Canada combined is just over 2 million.

I guess you do have reason to be upset....maybe the league should be re-named the AMJHL

I have to disagree with your assessment that there are less and less good players coming out of the Q, it looks to me like the 2011 draft was a bumper crop and the 2013 crop should rival that.
    The list you just posted here reinforce my assessment...I said that there was less good players coming out of the PROVINCE of Quebec. The best players coming out of the Q are either Europeans, Ontarians or coming from the Atlantic.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Nothing to do with his mono, etc. but for a long time Grigs was firmly entrenched as my #2 but if I was in a fantasy draft (mind you, I don't have that high of a pick...) I would definitely consider taking Galch at #2 over him at this point (though it depends where each ends up).

Dobber Sports Ninja

Galchenyuk was just rated #1 by some organization. Saw it posted on twitter and cant remember who it was that hads ranked him.