Thread: Live autodraft roto challenge

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Live autodraft roto challenge

I've done plenty of autodraft leagues and I've had to autodraft in a couple of live H2H leagues, but I've never autodrafted a live roto league. This is my challenge.

Firstly, you may be wondering why I am doing this and why don't I just attend the live draft? Well, here are my three main reasons:

1) I live in the UK and time is limited to only one live draft this season.
    2) I enjoy the challenge of trying to build a competitive team by considering the computer formula and other managers' potential tendencies
    3) I enjoy the challenge of managing a team that I didn't choose directly.

Number two on the list is obviously tricky, especially when autodrafting in a live league, as you cannot rely on o-ranks, being on a level playing field, and determining how much pre-ranking is done from the others. This league is also relatively deep, so it will take a lot of preparation to come up with a solid pre-draft list. Here are the settings:

20 team, Yahoo, one-year roto, daily lineups
    Max 162 games, 1475 innings, no move/trade limit
    C,1B,2B,SS,3B,IF,3OF,2UTIL,4SP,3RP,2P,4BN,3DL
    R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS,W,K,SV,HLD,ERA,WHIP

I'm well into a pre-draft ranking and trying to determine what to focus on where to place certain players and positions (e.g. scarcity, depth). I also have some I'd like to target so bumping them up a bit. It's a bit more hitting focused and an edge to power guys so will focus on that earlier on. Then look at solid pitchers where I can get value as my anchor. Mixing it up in the middle rounds with some of my targets, look at more pitching depth and start bumping up some closers to at least get one or two if possible (likely not the studs as I'm sure some managers will reach for them). Same with a few high end setup men including handcuffs for the shaky closers. From there I'm looking at value of those with positional eligibility, whether for my IF, UTIL or my bench. From there, look for deep value, perhaps some underrated players coming off sub par seasons who are in a good position in the lineup/change of scenery. Or depth pitchers who are in a good ballpark as well.

Anyway, enough from me. What are your thoughts? Any suggestions/experiences?

Dobber Sports Rookie

In this kind of setup, you want to draft from the middle out if you can, but you sound like you have a firm grasp of who to target.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec