Franklyn Gutierrez. Hurt his pectoral muscle throwing a baseball. No word yet on the severity. I was not planning on drafting him, however, I am planning on grabbing a few Mariner pitchers, based partly on the return to health of ‘death to flying things’. Gutz is a plus plus center-fielder, and the pitching staff feels it most when he can’t make the line-up. If he is projected to be out for any significant amount of time, that will effect how I rank the M’s starting staff.

Freddie Freeman. Partially dislocated his kneecap. He claims he will be only out about two weeks. Further word due shortly. If Fred only misses short time, no need to adjust his numbers.

Neftali Feliz. Will be held to between 140-160 innings. Makes sense, as he has not yet pitched a season of heavy innings, despite three+ years starting in the minors, Feliz has never exceeded 130 innings as a pro. Good call by the Rangers to protect their young starter.

Mike Gonzalez. Rangers kicking tyres on free agent lefty and former closer. Perhaps a deal involving Uehara is in the works, and some payroll is freeing up. If Uehara is moved to a team lacking a proven closer, I think Uehara would become the instant favourite to earn saves. He had a great year, 2011.

Josh Johnson. Josh will dictate how much he is used this season. He says his shoulder is pain free. I love the potential of this dominant pitcher, but he would have to fall pretty far from his current adp to make my rotation. Starter shoulder injuries concern me more than any other.

Dallas Braden. Looking at a mid-April return from his shoulder injury. Crafty lefty may contribute off the waiver wire in spot duty. His outfield d is shaping up to be very solid. However, there may be some clanking over at third.

Scott Sizemore. Out for the season with torn acl.

Josh Donaldson. Former catcher turned 3b gets the first look at filling Oakland's void at 3b. He should qualify at catcher in your league, so, a la Brandon Inge, Donaldson could help give you some counting numbers out of your back-up catcher spot. Or not. His MLB bb/w is a brutal .17. He has some power, and he was showed average zone control in AAA, so there is potential. I think Josh will have to impress immediately, and, if not, Beane will make a deal.

Jason Castro. Former top catching prospect missed last season to foot surgery. Claims to be healthy now. His MLB production only marginally better than Donaldson’s. Astros signed Chris Snyder, and I think the two of them will share duties, and are doubtful to accumulate 300 at bats each. If you own either, that could be a good thing.

Brett Myers. Anointed new king of the Houston pen. In 2007, Myers closed for the Phillies. Since then, he’s shorted his fastball by 4.5 miles an hour. All his secondary pitches are similarly adjusted. He isn’t a very good pitcher, and he shares space with Matt Capps on top of my closers-soon-failing list.