Thread: Keep 2 of 3

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Keep 2 of 3

Dan Haren
    Jon Lester
    Mike Napoli

18 team 5X5 league. Each team keeps 5 (at least 1 pitcher or 1 hitter).

I have Pujols, Tulowitzki, Pedrioa as my 3 definites. I am debating on 2 of the 3 above. Any advice. Right now I have Napoli and Lester tenatively locked in. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I actually have Haren over Lester now.Lester wasn't very good last year(for him) and thats a concern.The Angels offense should be terrific now meaning more wins for Haren. With such a great set of keepers the safe move might be both SP; you'd like to think Napoli will come close to last years #'s but thats no sure thing. I sort of like the dual aces with the 3 top bats then you can go hitter hitter hitter in the draft. Its close and theres no wrong answer here, with 3 first round bats I could sure see going 2 aces to compliment your bats

Dobber Sports Initiate

keep napoli. i think hrs are scarce this year, and i see naps getting more at bats this season than in 2011, w time at dh and 1b, when he isn't catching.

flip a coin on lester/haren. they are both great pitchers. there will be several good ace-starter types available the first round of your draft. i can't imagine you will have any 30 hr catcher options.
    dobber pro 2012-2013; campbell conference

c; b richards, ribiero, desharnias, zajac
    lw; sedin, e kane, pacioretty, kunitz
    rw; kessel, callaghan, cole, paranteau
    d; chara, seabrook, souray, leddy, markov, s elliott
    g; rinne, elliott
    bench; garon, giguerre, hodgson, orpik, d roy
    ir; nobody, yet

Dobber Sports Rookie

I myself would prefer Haren over Lester, just because of the resume, and some warning signs Lester is exhibiting. Not to say he's going to decline further, but Haren has the reliability I like.

Also agree with protecting Napoli. Welcome to the board!
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by tmcinty1 View Post
    Dan Haren
    Jon Lester
    Mike Napoli

18 team 5X5 league. Each team keeps 5 (at least 1 pitcher or 1 hitter).

I have Pujols, Tulowitzki, Pedrioa as my 3 definites. I am debating on 2 of the 3 above. Any advice. Right now I have Napoli and Lester tenatively locked in. Thoughts?
    I'd keep Haren and Napoli as your last two keepers as well.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Napoli and Lester.

Pitching is deep this year. Catcher and power are not.
    GWNHL Fantasy Cup Champs 06-07

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I would keep Napoli and Haren here.
    14 H2H team dynasty, start 4C, 8W, 6D and 1G

G, A, SOG, GWG, PPP, SHP, H+B, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SA, SV%

C - Tavares, Eriksson Ek, Frost, Geekie
    W - Skinner, Kreider, Sharangovich, Stone, Robertson, Hagel, Tolvanen
    D - Josi, Gudas, Montour, Fehervary, Jones
    G - Andersen

Bench - Ingram, Forsberg, Mrazek

FARM
    F - Bergstrom, Tolvanen, Robertson, Benson, Dube, Balcers
    D - Clague, Guile, Smith
    G - Sparks, Petersen

Dobber Sports Recruit

Another vote for Haren/Napoli.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Thanks guys! All great points! I did fail to mention that I have traded back a few picks last season as I was the top team in the league, however, I fed off of teams who were rebuilding to fuel a championship run. So with that being said, I have no first round pick or a 4th round pick...so I will be looking for value as I get towards the tail end of the draft.

So with that being in mind that I have no first round pick, do you for sure protect Napoli due to his power, even though I have the best trio of keepers in the league or do you got both Aces with Haren and Lester. I've been trying to figure this out for a couple weeks. Right now, I have Napoli and Lester still locked in. I love Haren but his K rate has dropped the past couple of seasons and I look for Lester to nail 200+ this season. If it weren't for his September meltdown, Lester was money.
    So no 1st or 4th rd picks...what do you guys think now?

Thanks for the awesome replies guys!

Trev

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by tmcinty1 View Post
    Thanks guys! All great points! I did fail to mention that I have traded back a few picks last season as I was the top team in the league, however, I fed off of teams who were rebuilding to fuel a championship run. So with that being said, I have no first round pick or a 4th round pick...so I will be looking for value as I get towards the tail end of the draft.

So with that being in mind that I have no first round pick, do you for sure protect Napoli due to his power, even though I have the best trio of keepers in the league or do you got both Aces with Haren and Lester. I've been trying to figure this out for a couple weeks. Right now, I have Napoli and Lester still locked in. I love Haren but his K rate has dropped the past couple of seasons and I look for Lester to nail 200+ this season. If it weren't for his September meltdown, Lester was money.
    So no 1st or 4th rd picks...what do you guys think now?

Thanks for the awesome replies guys!

Trev
    further proof you need napoli more than ever. you won't get a chance to grab that many hrs in rd 2. there will be another ace.
    dobber pro 2012-2013; campbell conference

c; b richards, ribiero, desharnias, zajac
    lw; sedin, e kane, pacioretty, kunitz
    rw; kessel, callaghan, cole, paranteau
    d; chara, seabrook, souray, leddy, markov, s elliott
    g; rinne, elliott
    bench; garon, giguerre, hodgson, orpik, d roy
    ir; nobody, yet

Dobber Sports Rookie

Spitball is spot on with his assessment.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Recruit

I agree too. Napoli's potential to hit 30+ bombs from the catcher position is a huge advantage over my competition. I expect his average to dip to around .275 but my 3 other .300 hitters will absorb that with no issue, even if it goes to .260, I'll be okay there I think. The draft isn't for another 17 days but preparation is going to be the key to my draft since I spent a lot of high picks on a championship run.

Thanks for the advice guys, Napoli is definitely locked in as the 4th definite keeper. I'm probably going to roll with Lester over Haren, just due to Lester being a few years younger.

Thanks again!

Trev