Adam Wainwright throws to live hitters. All projections are bullish, a top 20 starter, and Adam is being drafted as such, in there with Bumgarner and Latos. Before he went down, he was top 5, so I think the ranking is entirely understandable. Wainwright’s work ethic is elite, and all reports so far support the impression he has worked his way into position to come back near prefect. I’m drafting Adam at near-elite level, when I get the chance.

Mike Brantley will lead off for the Tribe. This due partly to the back-strain suffered by Grady Sizemore recently, and partly to the suckitis suffered by Sizemore over the past few injury-plagued seasons. The Indians turn to Brantley, who’s obp to date is short for lead, due to his low w-rate. If he can raise his w-rate above 10%, he could prove very valuable in that role. Marco Scutaro became a much more patient hitter after Cito had him lead off, so there is precedent.

Mike Minor, start me or trade me. The Braves management isn’t pleased. Player ultimatums are never received happily. Mike should button it and earn his place. There is a spot available, as Hudson starts the season on the d.l., and Minor was already in great position to earn it. He pitched well last season. The >4 era, was babip fueled at .350, and rest of his peripherals were very strong. Mike is a popular choice for Brave rotation sleeper. Strange he would make annoying noises just as we are getting under way. Can’t see how it helps his case in any way.

Mark Trumbo takes one on the nose. Trumbo is being tried at 3b this spring, and I doubt this is the last we hear of butchered grounders, and injured facial parts. Looking ahead, I think Trumbo makes the switch, and adds 3b eligibility. In the space of a couple weeks, a short position gains some depth with Miggy, and now Trumbo. Mark only hit .254 last season, but his babip was a measly .274. Some of that is a result of his poor bb/k .21. Mark has shown better numbers in AAA, so if he does improve his zone control, and if his babip regresses favourably, his batting average would rise ( projections are mixed, .253 - .269 ), and there is room for good profit with Mark due to the uncertainty of his role with the team. I say buy.

Nick Markakis hits without incident, recovering ahead of schedule. Nick had standard abdominal surgery and should recover fully and in time for game one. Another buy low candidate, as he is being drafted well below his projected production.

Panda gets LASIK, gains 15 pounds. I am nervous. While I generally like players coming off LASIK, the weight gain concerns me. He was obese two years ago, and worked very hard to regain his conditioning last off-season. He was injured last season, and if he decided to take it easy this winter, and put on a few pounds, I would not be at all surprised if Pablo missed several games again this year. Caution.

Pagan to lead off. Good call. Before last season’s .322, Pagan had three straight years of .340 or better obp. His babip was 20 points below his career average in 2011. At .71, Angel’s bb/k was his best ever mark. He is trending in the right direction. There is lots of reason to be optimistic about Pagan in 2012.

Beltran may be asked to play CF in 2012. Carlos wonders if his body will hold up. He says he signed with the Cardinals to play RF. Anticipating the May return of Allan Craig, there is speculation Craig would move Jay to the bench and Beltran to center. I think it much more likely Craig plays super utility, or takes over at 2b, assuming the trio of Descalso, Schumaker, and Greene don’t match the production Jay brings. I think if Craig takes over anywhere as a starter, it will be at 2b, and Beltran stays in right.

Vincente Padilla says he will start for the Red Sox, and wants no part of the bullpen. Perhaps he will be dealt for Wade Davis. Or Mike Minor. Because I can’t see Padilla winning a rotation spot with Boston.

Anthony Rizzo to spend the season in AAA. Rizzo buried AAA pitchers for a half season in 2011. Should he start 2012 like he did 2011, I don’t see the point of leaving him there. Further, the guy ahead of him, LaHair, is no guarantee to hit well. Further still, LaHair can play outfield, so Rizzo wouldn’t necessarily be forcing LaHair out of the line-up, should Rizzo earn the chance to play for Chicago. I expect he will. His bb/w was fine in San Diego, his babip was .210. Rizzo has big power, and Chicago isn’t likely to contend. I think he forces his way onto the Cubs sometime early this summer, and I think he stays there for several seasons to come.

Cliff Lee has a mild abdominal strain. Keep an eye on this. Lee has twice started a season on the d.l. because of abdominal issues. Both previous injuries began just as innocuously.

Justin Morneau may hang up his cleats. He is only 30 but after two consecutive injury filled, miserable seasons, and a questions still about the health of his brain, Morneau may decide to walk away from baseball. Watch closely this spring, and wish him well, but don’t invest anything of value gambling he makes a strong comeback in 2012. There are better bets.

Mike Napoli’s recovery from ankle surgery going well. The less time Mike spends catching, the better his bat will play. The effects on the roster would be felt at first base, where Moreland would have to make way for Young/Napoli, and at catcher, where Torrealba would gain at bats.

MLB may sue to reverse the Braun decision. They must think their case proving that he doped up is very strong to issue such a statement. Whatever happens now will not be good for baseball.