Thread: Feb 19, in the news, MLB

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Feb 19, in the news, MLB

Ibanez is waiting for a contract offer from NYY to be their lh dh. Let’s assume he signs; what kind of season might we expect? Raul will turns 40 this season and his power is definitely in decline. On the plus side, he would be moving from a ball park that increases home runs for lefties by about 10%, to the best power park in MLB, a park favouring LH home runs by 43% ( think AJ isn’t thrilled ). If you think Raul has one more productive season, he couldn’t be landing in a better spot. I am not optimistic. I think rotochamp has him labeled; 15 53 57 .255.

Max Scherzer is working on adding a 2-seamer in 2012. For poolies planning to add Max, this is good news. Mixing a two-seam FB into his arsenal, increases the likelihood of exceeding 200 k’s. Max was unlucky in 2011, and his 4.43 era was somewhat inflated as a result. His siera was a very solid 3.60. All Tiger pitchers took a bit of a pre-season hit with the announcement of their new corner infielders. Sounds like Max is taking preemptive measures, more k’s means fewer ground balls whizzing past his new 3b. I like Max in 2012; Bill James predicts 12 3.66 188 1.24.

Jeff Samardzija. Cubs will be stretching out big Jeff this spring with an eye on re-inserting him in the rotation. In 2011, Jeff moved to the pen and won 8, while posting a 2.97 era. I wouldn’t bite. He walked 50 in only 88 innings, and his xfip was 4.27. He does not control the strike zone well enough to succeed as a starter in the majors. Unless that changes, gamble your late round picks elsewhere.

Joe Blanton says his elbow is fine. If the elbow does hold up, I like Blanton in 2012. Joe was terribly unlucky last season. Most of his key peripherals suggest potential for a big bounce-back season. For instance, his k/w was almost 4, and his siera was 3.21. I’m making him a late round pick in all my early drafts.

AJ Burnett is a Pirate. Honestly, your guess is as good as mine. If there is anything left in the tank, AJ could turn a profit for you pitching in the N.L. Central. Fill your last bench spot with him, or bid $1. I wouldn’t go more than that.

Brandon Lyon will be pitching without restriction this spring. zzzz. avoid. The Astros have four closer candidates, all of them un-proven and all of them better gambles than Lyon in 2012.

Pedro Alvarez is in the best shape of his life. What took him so long? Only now taking his career seriously? His still can’t hit off-speed, and until he can, fitness won’t matter in the least.

Jim Johnson has a stiff back. This is concerning. 90 innings out of the pen last season was a lot. He is expected to start the year as the O’s closer. They just dealt for former closer Matt Lindstrom, and they are rumoured to be targeting Uehara for a return as well. The Baltimore pen has been unsettled for years. Except more of the same. If you are planning to draft Johnson, hedge your bet, get a cuff for him.

Hector Sanchez might make the Giants as a third catcher. Sanchez is a talented switch hitter who would be backing up Posey and some old guy who can’t hit. Posey is coming off very serious ankle surgery. They say he’ll get starts at 1b. If Posey’s ankle isn’t 100%, catching will be difficult. Sanchez could end up with lots of at bats this season, and he could do well. Keep him on your radar.

Figgins may bat lead-off for the Mariners. hahahahahaha. Only if they want to score even fewer runs than last.

Trumbo taking reps at 3b. Morales says his ankle is nearly 100%. Abreu getting shopped. Setting the stage for a full roster change-over coming in the next few months. The Angels have spent big to win, now, and you can bet they will play the hitters best able to achieve that goal. I think that list will include Trumbo, Morales, Bourjos, and Trout. Don’t be surprised if Callaspo, Abreu, and Wells find the bench in L.A., or a roster on another team.
    dobber pro 2012-2013; campbell conference

c; b richards, ribiero, desharnias, zajac
    lw; sedin, e kane, pacioretty, kunitz
    rw; kessel, callaghan, cole, paranteau
    d; chara, seabrook, souray, leddy, markov, s elliott
    g; rinne, elliott
    bench; garon, giguerre, hodgson, orpik, d roy
    ir; nobody, yet

Dobber

Beauty! fantastic thoughts. Or "rambles", if you will...

Jersey Girl

I defintely think Samardjza can become a starter in Chicago and do quite well. Sleeper material.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by BleedCubBlue View Post
    I defintely think Samardjza can become a starter in Chicago and do quite well. Sleeper material.
    Big Jeff has quality stuff, and a starter's repertoire. He could very well succeed in that role if he can drastically cut his w/9, especially against LH. Worth watching in spring training. Without evidence of that improvement, I would continue to be wary. For the sake of Cub fans everywhere, I hope it happens. You need some good news in 2012

g; rinne, elliott
    ir; nobody, yet

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Beauty! fantastic thoughts. Or "rambles", if you will...
    thanks. this is the most important time of the year for me. I'm preparing for a half dozen nfbc drafts/auctions. i'll be competing with the best.

writing forces me to clarify and justify my assumptions and conclusions. great to have this opportunity to post my opinions and promote some discussion among other serious readers.

g; rinne, elliott
    ir; nobody, yet

Dobber Sports Novice

Solid stuff - thanks, great read!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ibanez has some value for daily transaction leagues; if you know NYY is facing a RHP he's not a bad start in that lineup. For the lions-share of leagues, he'll go undrafted
    Scherzer's the only 1 I like from the bottom of the page. I want the "under" on games played at 3rd for Miggy