Thread: Shelby Miller likely to open 2012 in Minors

Jersey Girl

Default Shelby Miller likely to open 2012 in Minors

Dobber Sports Initiate

do you expect him to be promoted early in the season?

miller is one of several rookie starters i'm watching closely. some highly rated rookie pitchers that i think will likely begin the season in AAA, but may join their big clubs sooner than later include; teahran, cole, peralta, erlin, surkamp, bauer, hultzen and pomeranz. i think parker and moore make their teams out of spring training.

from the above list, i think hultzen, miller, and pomeranz have good chances of contributing to a fantasy staff this season. i think moore will have a very good season.
    dobber pro 2012-2013; campbell conference

c; b richards, ribiero, desharnias, zajac
    lw; sedin, e kane, pacioretty, kunitz
    rw; kessel, callaghan, cole, paranteau
    d; chara, seabrook, souray, leddy, markov, s elliott
    g; rinne, elliott
    bench; garon, giguerre, hodgson, orpik, d roy
    ir; nobody, yet

Jersey Girl

He will absolutely be called up at some point mid-season. He's real close to being ready. Loshe and Westbrook round out the #4-#5 slots, so if something goes awry ( injury or poor performance ) with one them he'll be most likely the first call up to fill the rotation out.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by spitball View Post
    ... pitchers that i think will likely begin the season in AAA, but may join their big clubs sooner than later include; teahran, cole, peralta, erlin, surkamp, bauer, hultzen and pomeranz. i think parker and moore make their teams out of spring training.

from the above list, i think hultzen, miller, and pomeranz have good chances of contributing to a fantasy staff this season. i think moore will have a very good season.
    Curious where you think Hultzen fits in Seattle?

I see the projected rotation in Seattle to be:

1. Felix
    2. Vargas (not a fan of him, but he is the #2 right now)
    Next two I believe they are forced to play most of 2012
    3. Iwakuma
    4. Neosi
    5. Beavan (most places I read he is going to secure a spot at the back end of this rotation)

I would have agreed with you on Hultzen until the Iwakuma signing and I can still see Hultzen taking over for Beavan or Vargas if they stumble, but I also see a long leash for those two as the Ms are rebuilding. I think it is late 2012 is the earliest you see Hultzen on a regular basis if not 2013.

I think Pomernaz makes the rotation out of spring. Low walk rate and even though his sample size last September was small he did start four games and minus a six run two inning outing he had a sub 3 ERA.

Anyway, while I agree that three you you singled out will be the first three to contribute I would not look at big time contributions until 2013 for Pomeranz and 2014 for Miller and Hultzen assuming they do not pitch over 100 innings until next season (ala Cole Hamels, David Price)
    My Team is Better Than Yours!

Dobber Sports Novice

Oops, I may have hijacked the Miller thread.... sorry
    My Team is Better Than Yours!

Dobber Sports Initiate

wouldn't shock me at all if m's trade vargas in june. i could see hultzen starting out in AA, and earning a quick promo to AAA. he isn't likely to appear in seattle until late summer, but i think of all the rookie starters, his chances of earning an early call, and doing well, are higher than most others.

i agree, pomeranz could easily make the rotation out of spring. and yeah, i think he will become a top end arm.

i think miller is best of the three, and could easily be fantasy relevant this season.
    dobber pro 2012-2013; campbell conference

c; b richards, ribiero, desharnias, zajac
    lw; sedin, e kane, pacioretty, kunitz
    rw; kessel, callaghan, cole, paranteau
    d; chara, seabrook, souray, leddy, markov, s elliott
    g; rinne, elliott
    bench; garon, giguerre, hodgson, orpik, d roy
    ir; nobody, yet