RP Papelbon,Pha
    RP Wilson,SF
    RP Marmol,Chc

Drop
    OF Jennings,TB
    RP Walden,Ana
    SP Bumgarner,SF
    RP Santos,Tor

This is what im leaning towards doing and dropping, however we may be adding a a new team or 2 and the keepers might drop from 17 to 15, then im in a bigger mess. I am struggling with dropping Bumgarner and Jennings most and it is always hard to find closers, when we can roll with 5 in our format but I think I can get at least 1 good back in the upcoming draft
    Any help is appreciated

Dobber Sports Prodigy

its a fine mess to have, another roster of overflow talent where your throw aways are going to be better than many teams last 3-4 keepers. I'd keep Bum for sure; really if it were my team I'd keep both Bum & Jennings and toss 2 closers. I'd keep Bum ahead of both Harper & Moore but thats just me. Really you don't need more than 1 star closer in a 10 teamer; add a lesser later in the draft and search for a 3rd in-season. In a star-studded roster like this I'd only keep 1 of the 2 top prospects but really you can afford to stash both if you don't have to make more cuts.Find a spot for Bum,then its a tougher call which way to go with the final current choice. It appears you have a knack for gathering closers, I'd cut 2 but they are both elite options you probably won't get back

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    C Santana,Cle
    1B Votto,Cin
    2B Uggla,Atl
    3B Beltre, Tex
    SS Tulowitzki,Col
    UT Cabrera,Det
    OF Stanton,Fla
    OF Harper,Was
    OF Kemp,LA

SP Hamels,Pha
    SP CC Sabbathia, NYY
    SP Moore, TB
    SP Lee,Pha
    SP Greineke,Mil
    RP Papelbon,Pha
    RP Wilson,SF
    RP Marmol,Chc

Drop
    OF Jennings,TB
    RP Walden,Ana
    SP Bumgarner,SF
    RP Santos,Tor

This is what im leaning towards doing and dropping, however we may be adding a a new team or 2 and the keepers might drop from 17 to 15, then im in a bigger mess. I am struggling with dropping Bumgarner and Jennings most and it is always hard to find closers, when we can roll with 5 in our format but I think I can get at least 1 good back in the upcoming draft
    Any help is appreciated
    Just finished day one of the drive up to Florida. I like your list, but I would actually keep Desmond Jennings over Dan Uggla and Madison Bumgarner over Carlos Marmol.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I agree with the above post. I'd drop Carlos Marmol and keep Madison Bumgarner. Listen, Marmol has been a durable pitcher who has thrown at least 69 major-league innings every season since 2006 and he strikes out a ton of batters. But when you look at the walks (6.16 walks per nine innings for his MLB career), you have to think there are closers out there who are capable of being a little more stable. What Marmol gives fantasy owners in strikeouts and saves, he takes away in ERA and walks.

Simply stated, I like Bumgarner more. Look at his 2011 numbers! He was a very solid pitcher (3.21 ERA, 204 2/3 innings, 191 strikeouts), he's 22 years of age and he's a highly-regarded former prospect. He's one of those fantasy options whose upside isn't overwhelmingly high, but his downside is very limited. I'm a fan.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

One more vote for keeping Bumgarner!

goldfish47

I'd also keep Bummer over Marmol... but I'd keep Uggla over Jennings. Uggla may not be pretty overall, but you can't go wrong with 30 HR power at 2B. Unless this is a 2-team league, they should probably just mail you the trophy.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Agreed about Bumgarner. He's looking like he's going to be an elite pitcher this year.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

goldfish47

Yes, it's easy to forget about him in a rotation with perennial Cy Young candidates.. but he could be one himself sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by djkiang View Post
    Agreed about Bumgarner. He's looking like he's going to be an elite pitcher this year.

Dobber Sports Initiate

keep one closer ( i'd keep santos ), there will be closers available to re-draft , late. keep bummer and jennings.
    dobber pro 2012-2013; campbell conference

c; b richards, ribiero, desharnias, zajac
    lw; sedin, e kane, pacioretty, kunitz
    rw; kessel, callaghan, cole, paranteau
    d; chara, seabrook, souray, leddy, markov, s elliott
    g; rinne, elliott
    bench; garon, giguerre, hodgson, orpik, d roy
    ir; nobody, yet

Dobber Sports Recruit

thanks for all the advice, after looking at it a bit more, I think I will keep Bum and drop Marmol or even Papel( his save opps might be low with those starters) Having 5 good closers is key to pitching because you can get max points while not eating up your innings, I even traded Ryan Howard last year for Nunez and Papelbon and it was the move that put me out of reach from others (although stealing Votto/Hamels for Bautista didnt hurt any)so if i keep Bum and need closers I can always trade a SP from strength like CC for a stud closer and get a bit younger along the way.... im not dropping Uggla, 2 baggers are hard to find and especially ones that hit 30 dingers annually.Also not dropping Harper or Moore as I think they will stars in MLB within 2 years and I cant afford to have them be on another team....Either way these are very good problems to have and thanks for all the input.

Dobber Sports Recruit

update.... With Miggy likely getting 3B eligibilty im now considering dropping Beltre and keeping Jennings( my other drops are Santos/Marmol/Walden)

This way I can cover OF with Jennings/Stanton/Kemp and if Harper makes Wash on opening day he can fill the UT. Or if it takes Miggy a few games to get 3B on yahoo i have options.

I just need to draft a 3B backup and concentrate on RP.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I've changed my mind about your closer. i think it should be papelbon. with the hitting decline in philly, combined with their great starting staff, jon could be in for a monster season. lots of close games, lots of save opportunities, and he is a great closer.
    dobber pro 2012-2013; campbell conference

c; b richards, ribiero, desharnias, zajac
    lw; sedin, e kane, pacioretty, kunitz
    rw; kessel, callaghan, cole, paranteau
    d; chara, seabrook, souray, leddy, markov, s elliott
    g; rinne, elliott
    bench; garon, giguerre, hodgson, orpik, d roy
    ir; nobody, yet

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Beltre over Harper or Jennings, not even close.
    I like Santos over a declining Wilson.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Beltre is 33 and Harper 19, Jennings 24... with winning the championship last year I think I am able to go a bit younger and still seriously contend and build as I go so i never have to rebuild...just making key acquistions year after year.