Thread: Texas Rangers win Darvish sweepstakes

Jersey Girl

Default Texas Rangers win Darvish sweepstakes

Dobber Sports Recruit

Tough break for Jays fans, but you can't lose sight of what this means. The fact that they nearly landed Yu Darvish tells you that this organization has the money and they are focused on winning. There are tons of pitchers available via trade and they now get refunded the money they bid on Darvish. With that money they could use it to go after a marquee free agent. The Jays will be involved in every player available from this point on. Lets just see how much the Texas Rangers pay him, if they are able to put together and agree on a contract. I'm betting $150 million or so, that's a huge risk. As a Red Sox fan, I'm happy we didn't bid on Darvish. I wasn't happy when they signed Daisuke Matsuzaka to such a large deal.

Dobber Sports Recruit

wasnt Dice K a $50ish million bid, and a $50ish million contract? Is Darvish's pre-MLB hype that much greater than Daisuke's? I was expecting a similar $100m total.

My concern here is that Texas still goes out and signs Prince Fielder, and then doesn't sign Darvish, so they get their $50m back.

Dobber

That would be nice, because the Jays really needed Darvish. A top starter that adds without subtracting.
    But not surprised that Texas got him and I'll be surprised if they don't sign him.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

That Texas team really stepping it up a notch!