Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Contest - Write the Ramblings for a Day!

Dobber

Default Contest - Write the Ramblings for a Day!

I'm always looking for great writers. I'm especially proud of the trio I brought on board almost a year ago - Mac Vincent, Mike Schmidt and Fred Poulin!

This is a method to discover the next great writer.

Have at 'er - 500 to 1000 words. Ramble about all things fantasy baseball, whatever tickles your fancy. I'll take the three best and have a vote. The winner writes the ramblings for a day and gets on the staff, getting the recognition you deserve! Don't waste the gold that's in your brain - share it!

Post here in this thread. And if there are several great gems, then hell - I'll find a spot for all of you!

Dobber Sports Recruit

I don't know if this is the type of thing you're looking for, but I gave it a whirl...

2012 potential rebound players:

The difference between winning your fantasy league and ending up in the middle of the pack is often finding the hidden gems in the draft or on the waiver wire. Grabbing guys like Lance Berkman, Asdrubal Cabrera and J.J. Hardy in late rounds or on the cheap last year paid off huge. Heading into 2012 there are a number of players that should be on your radar as potential rebound players like Berkman and Cabrera were in 2011.

First base:

Justin Morneau:

One of the most obvious potential rebound player in all of baseball this season is Morneau. A former AL MVP won't fly under the radar of even the biggest fantasy novice, but with Morneau's recent injury history he will likely drop down the rankings a ton compared to where he used to be drafted. After returning from a concussion last season Morneau' bat showed some rust to the tune of a lousy .227 average and a .618 OPS in 69 games. For someone who has a career average of .281 and and OPS of . 851 that doesn't cut it. The big question when it comes to Morneau is health. He had a long list of surgeries in the offseason, including his knee, foot and wrist. If he can return to the fearsome slugger of old he could be a huge steal, but don't draft him as your lone option at first base.

Other first base options: Kendrys Morales, Kevin Youkilis, Edwin Encarnacion

Second base:

Aaron Hill:

Seriously, Hill could have been on this list the last two seasons. I took a chance on drafting Hill last season and got burned, but I've got renewed optimism of his potential to rebound in Arizona. Last season while with Toronto Hill scuffled at the plate and hit a paltry .225 with an embarrassing .584 OPS in 104 games. Once he was traded to the desert his bat finally woke up and in 33 games with the D-Backs he hit .315 with a .878 OPS. It may be wishful thinking hoping for Hill to return to his 2009 form when he clubbed 36 homers and drove in 108 runs, but if he can maintain his short 33-game sample with Arizona over a full season he could be worth targeting in late rounds.

Other second base options : Brian Roberts, Kelly Johnson, Gordon Beckham

Third base:

Casey McGehee

If you only watched the Brewers in the postseason last year you might not even know who McGehee is. Thanks to a torrid slump down the stretch McGehee lost his starting job to Jerry Hairston Jr. in the postseason. Two years ago McGehee was a big surprise a third base with 23 home runs and 104 RBI. Last season he took a big step back, hitting .223 with 13 homers and 67 RBI. There isn't a ton of great fantasy talent at third base and it was also an injury-plagued position last season (David Wright, Evan Longoria, Ryan Zimmerman, Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis). If McGehee can rebound and come close to his numbers from 2009 he could be a steal late in the draft or off the wire.

Outfield:

Shin-Soo Choo

Choo is pretty well known among fantasy baseball aficionados, but since he plays if Cleveland he may not be at the top of the watch list of novices. He should be though, especially after last year's disappointing season. While being plagued by injuries Choo hit only .259 with eight home runs and a lackluster .733 OPS in 85 games. Don't let Choo's awful 2011 season keep you from drafting what could be a Top 20 outfielder this season.

Dexter Fowler

If you're looking for a cheap source for runs and steals this season Fowler could be your man. Fowler stumbled through the first half last season (.238/340), but came alive in the second half with a .280 average, .381 OBP and 51 runs. If he can hit like that in front of Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez all season he'll be a fantasy steal.

Other outfield options – Chris Young, Grady Sizemore, Jose Tabata, Colby Rasmus, Austin Jackson

Pitchers:

Phil Hughes

A lot was expected from Phil Hughes last season but he was shelled constantly at the start of the season and his fastball was lacking it's usual zip. He put a few solid starts up at the end of the season but it wasn't enough to earn him a spot in the Yankees postseason rotation. Hughes may have had a disappointing 2011 season but don't forget he still won 18 games in 2010 and is only 25 years old. With the big bats backing him in the Yankees lineups he should easily win in the double digits again this season and could be a big steal if he slips to late rounds in the draft.

Edinson Volquez

It's been a rough couple of years from Volquez since he won 17 games back in 2008. Volquez had Tommy John surgery in 2009 and in 2010 he was suspended for 50 games for using PEDs. During the 2011 season Volquez had command issues and was demoted a few times to try and get his career back on track. The Reds are overloaded with starting pitching right now and there have been reports that Volquez could be on the block. If he is traded the change of scenery could get him back on track. Either way keep an eye on him because he could be worth taking a chance on late in the draft to fill out your pitching staff.

Other potential starting pitchers – John Danks, Brett Anderson, Rick Porcello, Clay Buchholz, Trevor Cahill

Dobber Sports Recruit

Neat idea, Dobber! Good luck all!

Dobber Sports Recruit

Just saw this, just got home been out of town. Tomorrow or no later than end of day Friday I'm gonna submit something to this contest.

As an FYI, I've been highly engaged in hockey ( dobberhockey) the past few years and love me some hockey, but baseball, is an absolute insane passion of mine. Anyway, I will definitely be adding a piece to this contest here shortly.

I am gonna just keep this " Shakedown" screen name for the hockey site and im gonna use my " BleedCubBlue" screen name here for the baseball site. Just an FYI.

Dobber

Fabulous!
    Dave, it's rambling so you write whatever you want, however you want, as long as it's baseball related. Be casual, relax, no structure and no rules (within reason haha)

Keep 'em coming boys! I want to have a handful of entries, so that is why I have not yet set a deadline.

Dobber

Shakedown/BCB - within about four months I'll be merging the logins and user names, FYI. I'll do what I can to keep all post counts across all sites

Jersey Girl

Default CY Young: 2011 Duo Make History

You may not realize it yet or underestimate the absolute amazing seasons both Justin Verlander and Clayton Kershaw had for their respective teams in 2011. Both starting pitchers earned their first ever CY Young awards respectively. Let's analyze just how historic and dominate their 2011 seasons were. Both Verlander and Kershaw won the Triple Crown in both leagues respectively and this feat has not accomplished since 1924! Which of these 2 Dominating stud Starting pitchers would you build you're team around??? Both in terms of Fantasy Baseball and an actual MLB Baseball team?

NL CY Young Winner : Clayton Kershaw

2011 Stats
    : 21 Wins 5 losses 2.28 ERA 248 K 0.98 WHIP

Kershaw K'd batters at a 9.57 K/9 innings rate and a .207 batting average against. Kershaw wrapped up his dominate 2011 campaign by winning the NL Triple Crown award for Starting Pitchers. Kershaw's 21 wins are the most by a Dodger since Orel Hershisher won 23 in 1988. Kershaw's ERA of was the lowest by a Dodger since again, Orel Hershiser had a 2.03 ERA in 1985. Clayton's 248 strikeouts were the most by a Dodger since the great Sandy Koufax struck out a insane 317 in 1966.

Since 1969 only 3 pitchers have had a better ERA in the second half of a season as Kershaw's 1.31 2nd half ERA, they are Roger Clemens 0.97 ERA in 1990, Tom Seaver 1.10 ERA in 1971 and Johan Santana's 1.21 ERA in 2004.

AL CY Young Winner: Justin Verlander

2011 Stats: 24 wins 5 losses 2.40 ERA 250 K 0.92 WHIP

Verlander K'd batters at a 8.96 K/9 clip in 2011 and a crazy .192 batting average against. Verlander also wins the AL Triple Crown for starting pitchers in his jaw dropping dominate 2011 campaign. Verlander finished the season with the most wins, 24, best win percentage, .828, most innings pitched, 251, most strikeouts, 250, lowest ERA, 2.40, lowest opposing batting average, .192, and best WHIP, .92.

Verlander's most memorable moment in 2011 was his no-hitter against the Toronto Blue Jays on May 7. His performance that day proves his dominance. It was the second no-hit effort of his six-year career. To go along with his no-hitter, he allowed three hits or less in eight other outings. Wow.

What we as baseball diehard fans have witnessed in 2011 * Year of the Pitcher" will most likely be hard to duplicate anytime soon. Just think, the last time in a single season both the NL CY Young award winner and AL CY Young Award winner BOTH won the Triple Crown was in 1924. Think that will happen again next year? Not a chance my friends.

In terms of fantasy baseball , these 2 goliath's carry baseball teams to victory on their backs. They so far, have been a model of consistency, durable and trustworthy.

Both SP's throw to miss bats, they have filthy nasty stuff and have plus command on any pitch in the count. Verlander still hits the 100mph on the radar gun in the 9th inning in alot of starts and seems to get stronger as a game moves along. Both Verlander and Kershaw throw a four seamer upwards of 95-98 mph consistently. 12-6 curve that buckles knees and a circle change that just makes batters look foolish.

The only true main difference between the two player is that Verlander is a right handed pitcher and Kershaw is a southpaw.

I think its a toss up and a flip of a coin who to build a team around, between the two. They both will continue to be dominate, and 2011 will not be the last either of them wins the CY Young award.

Dobber

Another awesome one. Hell, these could be made into articles and thrown on the homepage, with a bit of editing.

Keep 'em coming!

Jersey Girl

Quote Originally Posted by dave04 View Post
    I don't know if this is the type of thing you're looking for, but I gave it a whirl...

2012 potential rebound players:

The difference between winning your fantasy league and ending up in the middle of the pack is often finding the hidden gems in the draft or on the waiver wire. Grabbing guys like Lance Berkman, Asdrubal Cabrera and J.J. Hardy in late rounds or on the cheap last year paid off huge. Heading into 2012 there are a number of players that should be on your radar as potential rebound players like Berkman and Cabrera were in 2011.

First base:

Justin Morneau:

One of the most obvious potential rebound player in all of baseball this season is Morneau. A former AL MVP won't fly under the radar of even the biggest fantasy novice, but with Morneau's recent injury history he will likely drop down the rankings a ton compared to where he used to be drafted. After returning from a concussion last season Morneau' bat showed some rust to the tune of a lousy .227 average and a .618 OPS in 69 games. For someone who has a career average of .281 and and OPS of . 851 that doesn't cut it. The big question when it comes to Morneau is health. He had a long list of surgeries in the offseason, including his knee, foot and wrist. If he can return to the fearsome slugger of old he could be a huge steal, but don't draft him as your lone option at first base.

Other first base options: Kendrys Morales, Kevin Youkilis, Edwin Encarnacion

Second base:

Aaron Hill:

Seriously, Hill could have been on this list the last two seasons. I took a chance on drafting Hill last season and got burned, but I've got renewed optimism of his potential to rebound in Arizona. Last season while with Toronto Hill scuffled at the plate and hit a paltry .225 with an embarrassing .584 OPS in 104 games. Once he was traded to the desert his bat finally woke up and in 33 games with the D-Backs he hit .315 with a .878 OPS. It may be wishful thinking hoping for Hill to return to his 2009 form when he clubbed 36 homers and drove in 108 runs, but if he can maintain his short 33-game sample with Arizona over a full season he could be worth targeting in late rounds.

Other second base options : Brian Roberts, Kelly Johnson, Gordon Beckham

Third base:

Casey McGehee

If you only watched the Brewers in the postseason last year you might not even know who McGehee is. Thanks to a torrid slump down the stretch McGehee lost his starting job to Jerry Hairston Jr. in the postseason. Two years ago McGehee was a big surprise a third base with 23 home runs and 104 RBI. Last season he took a big step back, hitting .223 with 13 homers and 67 RBI. There isn't a ton of great fantasy talent at third base and it was also an injury-plagued position last season (David Wright, Evan Longoria, Ryan Zimmerman, Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Youkilis). If McGehee can rebound and come close to his numbers from 2009 he could be a steal late in the draft or off the wire.

Outfield:

Shin-Soo Choo

Choo is pretty well known among fantasy baseball aficionados, but since he plays if Cleveland he may not be at the top of the watch list of novices. He should be though, especially after last year's disappointing season. While being plagued by injuries Choo hit only .259 with eight home runs and a lackluster .733 OPS in 85 games. Don't let Choo's awful 2011 season keep you from drafting what could be a Top 20 outfielder this season.

Dexter Fowler

If you're looking for a cheap source for runs and steals this season Fowler could be your man. Fowler stumbled through the first half last season (.238/340), but came alive in the second half with a .280 average, .381 OBP and 51 runs. If he can hit like that in front of Troy Tulowitzki and Carlos Gonzalez all season he'll be a fantasy steal.

Other outfield options – Chris Young, Grady Sizemore, Jose Tabata, Colby Rasmus, Austin Jackson

Pitchers:

Phil Hughes

A lot was expected from Phil Hughes last season but he was shelled constantly at the start of the season and his fastball was lacking it's usual zip. He put a few solid starts up at the end of the season but it wasn't enough to earn him a spot in the Yankees postseason rotation. Hughes may have had a disappointing 2011 season but don't forget he still won 18 games in 2010 and is only 25 years old. With the big bats backing him in the Yankees lineups he should easily win in the double digits again this season and could be a big steal if he slips to late rounds in the draft.

Edinson Volquez

It's been a rough couple of years from Volquez since he won 17 games back in 2008. Volquez had Tommy John surgery in 2009 and in 2010 he was suspended for 50 games for using PEDs. During the 2011 season Volquez had command issues and was demoted a few times to try and get his career back on track. The Reds are overloaded with starting pitching right now and there have been reports that Volquez could be on the block. If he is traded the change of scenery could get him back on track. Either way keep an eye on him because he could be worth taking a chance on late in the draft to fill out your pitching staff.

Other potential starting pitchers – John Danks, Brett Anderson, Rick Porcello, Clay Buchholz, Trevor Cahill

Good Write up. I would definitely add Jason Heyward to this list. Below is a good read on his new off season regiment

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Jersey Girl

Default Underrated or Overrated

Looking at Ian Kennedy , SP Arizona Diamondbacks 2011 season and his arsenal of pitches, the question begs is he a legit ace of the Snakes staff and underrated or is he overrated due to some of the weak teams he faces in the NL West? He also finished 4th in the NL CY Young award race. Let's dive in and take a look..

2011 Stats:

21 wins 4 losses 2.88 ERA 222 IP 198 K .227 avg against 1.09 WHIP

Monthly Breakdown:

April: 3 wins 1 losses 3.92 ERA 39 IP 32 K .221 avg against 1.05 WHIP
    May: 3 wins 1 losses 2.43 ERA 40.2 IP 31K .221 avg against 1.11 WHIP
    June: 2 Wins 0 losses 2.68 ERA 37.0 IP 34 K .241 avg against 1.11 WHIP
    July: 4 wins 1 losses 3.98 ERA 31.2 IP 30 K .242 avg against 1.23 WHIP
    August: 5 wins 1 losses 2.31 ERA 39 IP 34 K .236 avg against 1.13 WHIP
    September: 4 wins 0 losses 2.08 ERA 34.2 IP 37 K .203 avg against 0.89 WHIP

Day Games: 3 wins 1 losses 3.72 ERA 38 IP 30 K .252 avg against 1.22 WHIP

Night Games: 18 wins 3 losses 2.70 ERA 183.1 IP 168 K .222 avg against 1.14 WHIP

Home Games: 11 wins 2 losses 2.64 ERA 126 IP 113 K .210 avg against 0.98 WHIP

Away Games: 10 wins 2 losses 3.19 ERA 96 IP 85 K .250 avg against 1.22 WHIP

Kennedy vs NL West teams:

VS San Francisco: 3 wins 0 losses 1.22 ERA 37.0 IP 35 K .185 avg against

VS San Diego: 3 wins 0 losses 1.74 ERA 20.2 IP 27 K .218 avg agaisnt

VS Los Angeles: 3 wins 0 losses 3.46 ERA 26 IP 22 K .232 avg against

VS Colorado: 1 wins 0 losses 2.70 ERA 20 IP 11 K .264 avg against

VS Rest of NL: Kennedy had a 2.95 ERA.

Kennedy's repertoire conists of a 92-95 MPH fastball, knuckle curve, cutter, and his change up is ferocious.

Kennedy has had some serious consistency as you can see from above vs the entire National League. It's quite safe to say he has arrived into stud status and from here going forward expect a whole lot more of the same from him. He had a breakout year and I fully expect him continue with similar numbers, maybe not quite 21 wins each year, but definitely 16-18 game type of winner annually. A tick of regression is expected, but this kid has arrived for good and definitely worthy of anchoring a SP staff. He has a bulldog mentality , he challenges hitters, he is fearless, he has no issue with pounding the inside of the pate and commands respect out on the bump.

So in closing, do not overlook Kennedy in drafts and or trades, he is legit. He's a guy to target for any fantasy squad.

Underrated or Overrated??

Answer: Underrated.

Dobber

Nice - the pics are a nice touch too!
    No pics in ramblings, but I think your style fits for a regular column. Same with Dave's.

Let's see some rambles! You know my style, boys - just quick one-offs that don't have any flow and each one informs

Jersey Girl

A few teams unveil new logo's and / or uniforms for the 2012 season. Blue Jays have a new look, going back to their more classic style.

Also the Florida Marlins are now the Miami Marlins as they move to a brand new state of the art facility in Miami and as well with new look logo and uniforms.

Rockies 3B prospect Nolan Arenado wins the Arizona Fall League MVP. Arenado , 20 years old could be next Rockies 3B sometime in mid 2012. Keep his name on your prospect lists.

Jason Heyward is refocused and motivated for an injury free 2012 campaign. He's on a new workout routine. Last year he entered the season as a bulky 256 lbs and this year currently he's sitting at 235 lbs. He is also stress free after feeling the pressure of such high expectations as a 22 year old. He's more comfortable now. Look for a nice rebound year from Heyward.

Carlos Zambrano was hit in the face by a line drive back to the mound. He requried 18 stitches to close the gash. This injury has no long term issue, he'll be fine in a few days.

The Cubs new manager Dale Sveum said the recent way the Cubs have played is " unacceptable". Lot's to be seen yet as to what Theo, Hoyer and Sveum do with the club for 2012. Look for many more changes yet this off season.

The Pirates signed SS Clint Barmes formerly of the Astros to a two year deal worth $10.5 million. He has some" pop" but horrible OPS, however he is a serviceable player that will help the Buccos. Deeper leagues keep an eye out on him.

The Marlins have made offers to Albert Pujols, Jose Reyes and Mark Buerhle, however reports are that all offers made are shy of what said players are looking to sign for. Chances of them landing any of the three are slim. The Marlins are however very interested in trading for SP Gio Gonzalez of the A's. That would be a terrific addition.

Lot's of teams are backing off on Roy Oswalt as they do not trust his back issues. Fearfull to sign him to a multi-year contract with possible lengthy stints on DL. He will get signed by someone though and they'll take the risk.

According to Troy Renck of the Denver Post the Rockies have offered the Braves OF Seth Smith in return for 2B/OF Martin Prado.

Minnesota Twins C/1B Ryan Doumit to a 1 year $3 million dollar deal. This gives decent protection for Mauer / Morneau who for the past 2 years both players have missed significant time, but then again so has Doumit. Not sure how good this will play out.

Dobber Sports Recruit

"Carlos Zambrano was hit in the face by a line drive back to the mound. He requried 18 stitches to close the gash. This injury has no long term issue, he'll be fine in a few days. "

- No word on whether the ball knocked any sense into Zambrano

Dobber Sports Recruit

Ramble on.

- With Francisco Cordero a free agent and likely headed elsewhere, the Cincinnati Reds are reportedly interested in trading for Oakland closer Andrew Bailey. Bailey began last season on the DL with a arm strain and ended up appearing in 42 games, registering 24 saves with a 3.24 ERA and 1.10 WHIP. He was also 0-4 with only two blown saves on the season. The Reds interest in Bailey likely means we won't see flame thrower Arolids Chapman closing out game in Cincinnati next season.

- Bailey isn't the only arm that San Jose Oakland is rumored to be shopping. Starter Gio Gonzalez is also reportedly on the block and drawing interest from Colorado and Florida. Before pulling the trigger on a deal the Rockies and Marlins may want to look into the fact that Gonzalez was 10-5 with a 2.70 ERA at home last season compared to a 6-7 record and a 3.62 ERA on the road.

-It seems like the Marlins have their eye on almost every big names available this offseason. The Marlins have reportedly made offers to Albert Pujols, Jose Reyes and Mark Buerhle. In usual Marlins fashion they've also reportedly low-balled them all with below par offers. Maybe the new Marlins stadium hasn't opened up the purse strings as much as expected. Isn't that to be expected with Jeffrey Loria holding them?

-To the chagrin of Blue Jay and Red Sox fans Justin Verlander added the AL MVP award to his AL Cy Young award on Monday. Verlander became the first pitcher since Dennis Eckersley in 1992 and the first starter since Roger Clemens in 1986 to earn MVP honors. I'm a little biased as a Jays fans and would have given the award to Jose Bautista or Jacoby Ellsbury before voting for Verlander. I'm part of the group that believes everyday players should take precedence over pitchers and I'm still bitter over the Tigers rolling over the Jays in '87.

-If you don't like the new Blue Jays logo and uniforms I don't like you. On the other hand if you do like the new Marlins logo and uniforms I also don't like you.

-Our condolences to the family of deceased minor leaguer Greg Halman. The Mariners' prospect was stabbed to death in Rotterdam, Holland on Monday and to makes things eve worse for the Halman family brother was arrested in connection to the death. Halman hit 33 home runs for AAA Tacoma in 2010 and in 35 games with the big club in 2011 he hit .230 with two home runs.

-The Philadelphia Phillies made an interesting move over the weekend, acquiring Ty Wigginton from the Rockies for a player to be named later. Last season in ColoradoWiggy hit .242 with 15 home runs and a .731 OPS in 130 games with the Rockies. He played first, third and both corner outfield spots last season and gives the Phillies options at first base with Ryan Howard sidelined for an indeterminate amount of time with a torn Achilles and at third where Placido Polanco and his aging body have play fewer than 135 games the last two seasons. Anyone think the Phillies will acquire anyone this offseason that is under 30?

-With C.J. Wilson looking for big money on the free agent market the Texas Rangers are expected to move Neftali Feliz from the bullpen to the rotation next season. Those expectations gained more life this week when rumbling hit the airwaves that Texas was kicking the tires bringing back Frank Francisco. Franky was traded to Toronto last season for Mike Napoli and had a rocky season north of the border where he was 1-4 with a 3.55 ERA and 17 saves. Taking a closer look at Francisco's numbers shows he could be worth taking a risk on. In the first half last season he was 10-for-14 in save chances with a 5.92 ERA. He also walked 14 batters in 24 1-3 innings. After the All-Star break he was a perfect 7-for-7 with a 1.37 ERA and he only walked four in 26 1-3. If Francisco does end up back in the Lone Star state it will be a tough pill to swallow for Toronto fans already annoyed at losing Napoli big bat for Francisco's disappointing season.

- Grady Sizemore reportedly ready to re-sign in Cleveland? Who would have seen that coming a month ago with a number of teams kicking the tire on the former 30-30 man.

Jersey Girl

Quote Originally Posted by dave04 View Post
    "Carlos Zambrano was hit in the face by a line drive back to the mound. He requried 18 stitches to close the gash. This injury has no long term issue, he'll be fine in a few days. "

- No word on whether the ball knocked any sense into Zambrano

You got that right Dave. I hope the Cubs find a way to move him, but if they can't he better find a way to remain within himself, calm cool and collected, but personally he's worn out his welcome on the North Side, it's time to ship him out of town.