Thread: Closer Mess

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Closer Mess

We start 3 closers and I'm in a bit of a mess. Axford and Hanrahan have both been incredible, but my 3rd spot has been a mess of Broxton and Francisco. I've also got Lidge on my bench, and K-Rod just got traded to Milwaukee (not sure what that means to Ax). We don't have waivers, but a mid-year draft this week where several closers are available.

1) Do I need another closer, or do you think I can rely on any of the above?

2) Assuming I need one, how would you rank the following for ROS?

Salas
    Farnsworth
    Santos
    Walden
    Adams
    Capps

Dobber Sports Rookie

As its being said in the media, the Brewers have a lot to lose by letting K-Rod close games. My guess is Axford continues to save games, and we've seen how patient the Brewers were with him at the start of the year when everyone was calling for his head. They will probably give K-Rod a couple chances here and there, but I'm wondering if this move is intended to help them now, and possibly dangle him at the trade deadline.

Farnsworth
    Walden
    Santos
    Salas
    Adams
    Capps
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Recruit

Thanks for the feedback. Would you stand pat if your 3rd starter at closer was any of Lidge, Broxton or Francisco?

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by cmcreyno View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. Would you stand pat if your 3rd starter at closer was any of Lidge, Broxton or Francisco?
    Personally I would drop all three for any of the first four on djkiang's list. You have two injured guys that may not close again this season, and a third whose numbers are not very good. Those first four have been very capable closers this season.

Walden- young, and the team is unlikely to spend to bring a vet in. job security and pedigree of a young arm put him first for me.
    Farnsworth- his k rate is way down, but he also cut is walk rate. i am afraid of the medicore track record, but maybe a half season in atlanta gave him all the pitching coaching he needed.
    Salas
    Santos
    Adams- not a closer yet, but a good bet to be a closer soon, but he may get a good return
    Capps

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by cmcreyno View Post
    We start 3 closers and I'm in a bit of a mess. Axford and Hanrahan have both been incredible, but my 3rd spot has been a mess of Broxton and Francisco. I've also got Lidge on my bench, and K-Rod just got traded to Milwaukee (not sure what that means to Ax). We don't have waivers, but a mid-year draft this week where several closers are available.

1) Do I need another closer, or do you think I can rely on any of the above?

2) Assuming I need one, how would you rank the following for ROS?

Salas
    Farnsworth
    Santos
    Walden
    Adams
    Capps
    I would rank them as follows.

1. Walden
    2. Farnsworth
    3. Salas
    4. Santos
    5. Adams (He's going to rise in rankings for sure if Bell is traded)
    6. Capps

I think you're fine but I'd look at dealing Capps and Santos for a better closer then you'll be in a very good spot once Adams inherits the closers role from Bell.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Actually I've got Hanrahan, Axford, Francisco, Lidge, Broxton. We start 3, which is why I'm trying to decide if I should target one of those other guys on the list - appreciate the feedback from you guys on rankings.