Thread: travis snider got another homer today

Default travis snider got another homer today

what does everyone think about him. He has gotten a bum wrap this year, but the track record is the type that i have trouble cutting ties with (this is a guy who still has maybin and expecting him to turn it around).

- he is only 23, so by age should be just hitting the bigs. Most power hitting 23 year olds are just reaching AAA, or doing a split AAA and MLB season. Most scouts do not age out prospects as busts until 25
    - he is a career minor league .306 hitter, and has had seen success at every level
    - he hit 14 homers in 82 games with toronto last year.
    - while in AAA this year he hit .333, but did not show any power (2 homers in 201 AB)
    - he is a former first rounder
    - baseball america preseason #11 in 08, and #6 in 09.

I thought i would also make a case for maybin here since i am having a really boring friday night.
    -10th overall pick, and a top 10 preseason baseball america prospect for 3 season.
    - 24 years old, but has bounced up and down for 5 seasons in the bigs. but only has 239 games (about a season and a half)
    - last year in 82 games he 8 hr and 9 sb. He did hit only 231, but it was really only his frist real long term exposure into the bigs
    - this season in 71 games he is hitting 263, with 5 hr and 12 sb, in a park where no one hits homers.
    - in the minors he hit .305, and had some power numbers and good speed numbers.
    - a good comperable in my mind in dominic brown who is a few months younger. minor league numbers that are similar. yet everyone is still high on him.

What does everyone think of snider and maybin. is there a reason to have given up on theses guys yet.

Dobber Sports Recruit

I like him, like you said he has fallen off the radar but he still has tons of talent and it looks like he improved his hitting after spending some time in the minor leagues. So far he's been awesome, I really don't see why he could not do well this year and there is plenty of time left in the season for him to make an impact with the Jays.

Dobber Sports Rookie

He was rushed to the majors - a big mistake many clubs make. Similar to Eric Thames this year, but Thames is off to a nice start. Still see him having issues in a month or so when a book is out on him, but one thing Farrell did a great job with is putting him in the 2-hole, a brilliant move I think.

Back to Snider - just remember Delmon Young. Same thing happened to him, and finally put it together last season. The one huge difference is his swing - find it's a lot shorter, and love the fact that he cut down on the strikeouts in the PCL and didn't worry about the power numbers. He knows he has the power and if he continues making contact with the ball, the power numbers will follow.

Maybin made just as good contact with the ball in AAA, but don't think he has the true power Snider possesses, however has the speed potential to make him a 20/20 if he can put it together.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec