Thread: Wrong player dropped by manager...what to do?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Wrong player dropped by manager...what to do?

I'm the commish, and a manager whom I trust and is a friend, said he made an honest mistake in dropping the wrong player. I believe him. He's asked me if I can make the proper swap, and also posted this on the league message board so everyone can be aware of the situation.

I'm not sure what to do, as this has never happened before in any of my leagues. On one hand, it was an honest mistake and would consider making that change. On the other hand, I'm not sure it's fair to the others, especially those whom I don't know. This is league primarily of friends or their friends, but there are a few randoms. I don't want to create animosity amongst the league - I am a hands off commish and like to keep it that way whenever possible.

Also, even if I wanted to make the move, I'm not sure I can since that player is now on waivers. So, would I have to ask others not to put in a waiver claim and then make the move once he's a FA? I'm not sure if that's fair either.

Advice please?

Dobber Sports Rookie

If the email was sent right after the drop, I usually give him a mulligan. If there was a delay then usually not so lenient. Perhaps you can take a vote, or try to come up with a consensus. Maybe burning him of his waiver priority would satisfy everyone.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Initiate

This same thing happened in a hockey league I am commissioner of. Guy dropped Lidstrom to waivers and asked to have it corrected. It is a pretty obvious error and he sent the correction right away. So I let it through. I had a bit of half hearted grousing from the guy with 1st waiver priority but he agreed it is the right thing to do.

While it is really circumstantial, the obviousness of the error in the player dropped (its much easier to claim a mistake when you drop Pujols than if you drop say a Cuddyer who is borderline waiverwire material) and the timeliness of the correction email but I think in the spirit of fair competition you let him undo his mistake. Who really wants to win that way anyways?

Dobber Sports Novice

It wasn't a major player but a decent one - he dropped Torii Hunter instead of Garrett Jones. I am thinking that I will give him the benefit of the doubt and try to make the switch. The only possible snag, which I will find out shortly, is whether being on waivers affects my ability to make the move or not. I'll find out.

EDIT: It worked, and I feel I made the right decision. Thanks.

Dobber

Leniency is generally the way to go with this, but of course it depends on the type of league and people involved (i.e. friends vs. strangers, money vs. none, etc)

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Leniency is generally the way to go with this, but of course it depends on the type of league and people involved (i.e. friends vs. strangers, money vs. none, etc)
    I think that's the main reason I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. Since it's mostly friends, and from the outset I let them know it's a fun league. It's also not for money so people shouldn't take it too seriously.