Thread: How ridiculous is this trade offer?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default How ridiculous is this trade offer?

Hey guys,

So for team in my sig I just had this trade proposed to me:

My: Bautista, H Ramirez, J. Hamilton and Billingsley

for

His: Beckham, C. Quentin, Rasmus and Jaime Garcia

now i obviously rejected the deal as its ridiculous and I wouldnt do it for just Bautista let alone the other guys, the offer is so bad its insulting to be honest ..... what would you guys do?

Lol .... I thought about countering with My D. Fowler and C. Lee for his Votto and Halladay or should I just leave it and not respond.

Dobber Sports Novice

Ouch. What kind of wacky league is this?!

Type "No." and hit decline.
    Maybe a more reasonable offer will come your way soon.

Dobber Sports Novice

Follow-up thought.

Maybe the Dobber Experts can make a trade between our two teams and turn it into an article! Anatomy of a Win-Win Trade. Something like that.

I need SB, AVG, SV.
    You need W, K, ERA, WHIP.

I haven't made a trade yet because I'm still struggling with understanding "fair value".
    i.e. How do I evaluate trading away strength in some categories for strength in other categories?

What do you think?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Most of the time I'll just flat out reject. If the owner has a tendency to send lobsided trades, I'll counter with one of those Halladay for Ty Wigginton type offers. However if this is a league full of new baseball managers, then I tend to be a little more sympathetic.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Rookie

In roto leagues you can assess it with how much of a lead you have in each category. If you are down 30 stolen bases from the second last place team, then this is probably a category you don't necessarily want to chase and should focus on another category. However I get the feeling that's not exactly what you're asking.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

imported_shallowfrozenwater

the lopsided counter or the bleep ridden email rejection will only take the trading relationship to a place where you won't ever be able to do a deal with this guy at all. the time may come that you NEED to do a deal with this guy so you don't want to piss him off even if you think that is the worst offer in the history of fantasy baseball (and it isn't although it is pretty bad). the only way to get something real done would be to swallow the profanity and figure out a trade that would work for you and he might accept. that, or do nothing except decline without comment.

Dobber

LOL - shallow is exactly right. But I would still give the lopsided counter. In fact, I did that this morning when he offered me garbage, garbage, garbage and a 2nd round pick for my 1st. So I countered with garbage, garbage, garbage and a 2nd for his 1st.
    Haha

Dobber Sports Rookie

I find that the lobsided counter is kind of biting your tongue. Sends the other owner the message that you both know it was lobsided.
    Keeper League:

i would choose 1 or 2 guys he is asking about, and make a counter, and state that this would be the asking price.

I often times make offers like that garbage one when i am just starting to talk to someone about a player i want. I leave a message with the offer that states that the offer is only there so i can list who i want and who i am willing to give up at or below market value.

So if he wants batista, why not counter with batista for votto and see if he is willing to go at or above market value for the players he is asking about. The other option is to cruise down his team and make a garbage offer for everything he has that you are interested in. See if you have some players the other wants and work from there.

I know in negotiations you want to know as much as possible, and the other end of the table to know as little as possible, but that normally ends without a trade. If you both know what the other guy wants you can make offers that will please both of you instead of making tons of bad offers until you both just walk away.

Dobber Sports Recruit

the counter is the way to go, why would it piss him off if he started it, no offense should ever be taken in what is obviously a joke offer.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Yeah there are always boneheads.
    Maybe implement a trade embargo with that guy, he'll stop offering deals to you, trust me.