Thread: Pedro Alvarez

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Pedro Alvarez

3B is a scarce position so I'm wondering, with Alvarez on my WW, should I grab and stash him? It looks like he's turning things around a bit and could be a nice trade piece later on. My team is in my sig, anyone you think worth dropping for him? My candidates are Boesch, Abreu or Bumgarner???

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yes, you should pick up Pedro Alvarez. He's shown some signs of turning things around. Drop either Madison Bumgarner or Joe Nathan (I assume Johnny Cueto is on your DL), but only because Brennan Boesch is hitting just about everything he sees right now.

I like your thought process here. Having a high-upside third baseman like Alvarez on your bench is quite a luxury.

Mike Schmidt

DobberBaseball Writer

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTSchmidt View Post
    Yes, you should pick up Pedro Alvarez. He's shown some signs of turning things around. Drop either Madison Bumgarner or Joe Nathan (I assume Johnny Cueto is on your DL), but only because Brennan Boesch is hitting just about everything he sees right now.

I like your thought process here. Having a high-upside third baseman like Alvarez on your bench is quite a luxury.

Mike Schmidt

DobberBaseball Writer
    I understand the thought behind that but this is also a one year league, I love Alvarez for deeper mixed leagues, NL only leagues and of course keeper/dynasty leagues but I'm not sure I'd want him in this format. He's already got Wright at third, who is likely staying on his team all season and there could be some pretty good players on the wire if he did some digging. Also, why are you playing Abreu over my boy Adam Lind? Lindy is tearing the cover off the ball lately. Same goes for Stanton, play Boesch over him until he heats up. If you are playing those guys, then you're fine, just want to be sure you're not absorbed in those 3 guys starting all the time. Let me know what else is on the wire, you also have a very strong bench and may be able to use that in trade negotiations this year. Having Kendrick, Lind and Boesch is huge.

I hope that helps.

I snagged him off the wire a week ago and he's riding my bench until things start clicking. Worth the gamble IMO

Dobber Sports Rookie

This is something I'd do as well, no harm in rostering him for someone like Boesch or Nathan.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Longoria4MVP View Post
    I understand the thought behind that but this is also a one year league, I love Alvarez for deeper mixed leagues, NL only leagues and of course keeper/dynasty leagues but I'm not sure I'd want him in this format. He's already got Wright at third, who is likely staying on his team all season and there could be some pretty good players on the wire if he did some digging. Also, why are you playing Abreu over my boy Adam Lind? Lindy is tearing the cover off the ball lately. Same goes for Stanton, play Boesch over him until he heats up. If you are playing those guys, then you're fine, just want to be sure you're not absorbed in those 3 guys starting all the time. Let me know what else is on the wire, you also have a very strong bench and may be able to use that in trade negotiations this year. Having Kendrick, Lind and Boesch is huge.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for all the help. Just for the record, Lind doesn't sit, it's just the way my sig is layed out. I just got Boesch today so he hasn't been in the lineup yet.