Thread: Questions about Rotisserie.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Questions about Rotisserie.

We decided to make our inaugral league a Rotisserie style to change up from our standard H2H hockey league.

1. Are the 5x5 standard cats - RBI, AVG, SB, Runs,HR, W, SVS, ERA, WHIP, Ks
    are those standard for rotiss? Do they work okay?

2. Should their be a max transactions limit? Should their be a max Games Played per position? Not sure what the rule should be as I don't know what potential problems we may encounter.

3. How would drafting strategy change as opposed to H2H? Are certain guys values raised/dropped?

Appreciate all input, tryin to get as prepped as possible for this!

Dobber Sports Novice

Based on my knowledge, I can answer #2 more confidently.

You should have a maximum games limit, but also allow unlimited transactions.

Games:

The games limit ensures that people don't stream (constantly adding/dropping players to maximise their games played) and everyone is on a level playing field. Managers should be challenged (e.g. deciding whom to start on a given day) so allowing streaming takes away that challenge.

Moves:

I feel that every team has different needs at different times so I feel limiting the number of moves forces you to manage your moves for an unknown period in the future, which may not be ideal given your situation. Unlimited allows you to be flexible with your strategy.

Dobber Sports Recruit

I've never played h2h so I can't comment on that specifically. But agree with horrorfan's statements.

As for cats 5x5 with the ones you've pointed out are the most common & most fun unless your league is full of stat lovers. The more cats, the more complex the strategy becomes.

I've not played much fantasy baseball in the past several years but having done my fair share of research looking to get back into it, that aspect (standard cats) has remained unchanged.

Good luck!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Cats are fine, this is just a standard league.

Max moves and innings depend on how your league owners feel about potential streaming.

I usually keep the same strategy for both roto and h2h
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Recruit

I think I would like to reduce streaming, simply to reduce the amount of dedicated time it will take to be succesful. What is a good number of max games and innings to put in place.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by SlipperyP View Post
    I think I would like to reduce streaming, simply to reduce the amount of dedicated time it will take to be succesful. What is a good number of max games and innings to put in place.
    For games, the most common is make it 162, as it's the number of games in a MLB season.

For innings, that depends on the number of pitchers in your starting lineup. In my opinion, if you were to only play your pitchers in your starting lineup without using your bench, you should be close to the minimum innings limit. That way, you ensure that managers have to make a decision when to use the bench.

In my current league where I'm the commish, based on last year's stats, I determined how many innings the average SP and RP pitched. A general guide for the top 70 SP and top 30 RP is 200 innings for a SP and 70 innings for a RP.

So, for example, if you had 2SP, 2RP, and 3P (which I've seen in standard roto leagues), then I would calculate the number of innings based on 4SP and 3RP. That would be 4x200 + 3x70 = 1010. I would then give a buffer and make it 1050 or even 1100 if you want to be a bit more flexible.

Hope this helps.

Dobber Sports Rookie

I don't mind streaming, especially in baseball, where pitching streaming would do a lot more harm than good, especially in roto.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec