Thread: Which Part-Time Closer?

bwin

Default Which Part-Time Closer?

5x5

Brian Fuentes or Jose Contreras?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Fuentes. Bailey's injury sounds a hella lot more serious than Lidge's at the moment.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

GBThrasher

I agree with Ang, go with Fuentes, Baily is having lingering problems and Fuentes has proven he can do the job in the past, at least short term.

Fuentes for sure. Never been a fan of Contreras, and especially not as a closer.

goldfish47

I'll take the other side of this one. I think Contreras will give you more for your money over the season. Fuentes will probably not be good for more than 5-6 saves all year, and I just think he's finally going to implode. He's lost velocity, and is getting by more on his past success and reputation than anything else.

Contreras is a steady late-inning option at this point. While he may also only be good for a handful of saves, I think his other stats will be much better... and I don't think it's a given that Brad Lidge will be healthy most of the year. Contreras could be a sleeper pick for saves.

Fuentes should see more opportunities and have a slightly longer leash than Contreras (who will have Madson breathing down his neck)

Fuentes, he's got the track record as a closer....and Contreras looks like he may be 90 years old.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I agree with Rabid Jack -- Jose Contreras is the better option. He's got the closer job all to himself. By all indications, Brian Fuentes will share Oakland's closing duties with Grant Balfour. The timetable for Brad Lidge's return as Philadelphia's closer is 3-6 weeks. Until then, Contreras is the guy for the Phillies.

Mike Schmidt

DobberBaseball Writer