Thread: H2H points draft strategy? [LONG post]

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default H2H points draft strategy? [LONG post]

Tonight is the night for the first H2H points league I've been in...and knew about it.

I was in a 10 team AL-only league last year and won, but didn't go in with a different strategy (because I didn't even know it was points until I showed up!) and definitely had some luck on my side.

To start, the draft was offline with 8 guys I didn't know and 1 guy I did. So when it came to my turn I almost panicked. How lame is that? First round I picked Felix Hernandez. I never, ever draft a pitcher in the 1st.

And the second round.... GRADY SIZEMORE. Awful. Just terrible. For some reason I had it in my mind he would bounce back in a 20/20 way. Riiiiiight...

My team near the end of the season ended up being:

C - Napoli
    1B - Morales (out for season) -> Branyan/Laporta (brutal again)
    2B - Kendrick
    SS - Jeter (bad year to pick him...)
    3B - Pheralta (sp. I never get it right)
    OF - D. Young
    OF - Hunter
    OF - Sizemore->FELIX PIE or any other OF available at the time

SP - Felix
    SP - Buchholz
    SP - Anderson
    SP - Garza
    SP - Braden

RP - Bailey
    RP - Perez and I can't remember who else, but it wasn't pretty (Wuertz etc)

So based on the strength of my pitching staff, I won somehow. And set records for that league doing it (yay).

So tonight is an 8 team, mixed league draft and Sunday is a 12 team mixed league draft. Both H2H points with similar numbers.

HITTING
    Runs = 1
    1B = 1.5
    2B = 3
    3B = 3
    HR = 4

RBI = 1
    Sac Fly = .75
    SB = 2
    Caught stealing = -1

BB =1
    IBB = .5
    K = -.5

Ground into double play = -2
    Errors = -3
    Cycle = 3

PITCHING
    Appearance = 1
    Innings Pitched = 1.5
    W = 8
    L = -3
    CG = 3
    SHO = 3
    SV = 5.5
    ER = -1
    BB = -1
    Hit Batters = -1
    K = 1
    HLD = 3
    No Hitter = 5
    Perfect Game = 5
    BSB = -4

Question 1 - Should any of these numbers be different or are they pretty standard looking? I tweaked a couple here and there, but I stole most of them from the 10 team league last year, which was setup pretty good.

Question 2 - Should I approach the drafts with a different strategy?

I planned on going in looking for power early and picking up 2 aces anywhere from rounds 6-10. After that I would look at guys that are both stolen base threats and decent power hitters.

I don't care much about relievers, so I can sit on those for a while.

Thoughts? And thank you for reading my book

GBThrasher

Your settings look good!

As for a strategy, I usually pick my big bats in the early rounds (1-3) and then shift to pitchers and speedy players (4-6). Check who the other poolies have drafted to pick accordingly. Ex. if every GM has picked his catcher, you can wait a few more rounds to pick yours.

What's important for pitchers is the K/inning ratio and WHIP, as wins vary depending on a lot of things (offensive support, bad luck, pitching match-ups, etc.) Don't spend an early pick on pitchers like Clay Buchholz and Phil Hugues.

I always try to draft at least quality guys at 2B (ex. Neil Walker), SS (ex. Alexei Ramirez) and CA (ex. Victor Martinez) as the talent pool is thin compared to other positions like 1B and OF.

I hope this helps!

Fred
    Poulin no Foolin

Dobber Sports Rookie

Wouldn't say standard, but I can see it being more balanced in that someone like Andrew McCutchen could be just as valuable as Adam Dunn.

If it's the same point system, go with the bats first and try to get one ace.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by djkiang View Post
    Wouldn't say standard, but I can see it being more balanced in that someone like Andrew McCutchen could be just as valuable as Adam Dunn.

If it's the same point system, go with the bats first and try to get one ace.
    What would be standard?

Yahoo allows for 15 point cats for each hitting and pitching, so I used em all. The bigger league is on CBS and I'm almost positive it tracks even more (but better).

Dobber Sports Rookie

Basically the point system is usually 1 for hits, 2 for doubles, 3 triples, etc. Then again I'm in 1 points league only. Have particpated in a few previously, and they were setup the same (as I mentioned)
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Recruit

My team ended up being:

C - Posey
    1B - Morneau
    2B - Pedroia
    SS - Tulo
    3B - Young
    Util - Dunn (+1B)

OF - Crawford
    OF - Ellsbury
    OF - Ethier

BN - Rollins (I got him in like the 8th round wtf??? I didn't need him but couldn't say no. Trade bait...I don't usually do that)
    BN - Hart
    BN - Sandobal (+1B/3B)
    BN - Cuddyer (+1B/3B/OF)
    BN - Granderson

SP - Felix
    SP - Verlander
    SP - Scherzer
    SP - Jonathan Sanchez
    SP - Lewis

RP - Felix
    RP - Kimbrel

BN - Wilson
    BN - Soriano

Not bad, but honestly one of the WEIRDEST drafts I've ever been in. You should see the draft log. My lord....

Anyway, critiques welcome

Very nicely done. You have balance power and speed really well. Your starting pitching is great.
    A couple of suggestions: First, trade rollins, like you said. Target another SP. I would try to throw in one of Granderson/Hart/Cuddyer and shoot for an ACE.
    Secondly, while I really like Soriano, there just isn't room for him in this small a league. I would be dropping him and looking to add another closer, or at the least pick up Venters to protect Kimbrel.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by Mattinglys Sideburns View Post
    Very nicely done. You have balance power and speed really well. Your starting pitching is great.
    A couple of suggestions: First, trade rollins, like you said. Target another SP. I would try to throw in one of Granderson/Hart/Cuddyer and shoot for an ACE.
    Secondly, while I really like Soriano, there just isn't room for him in this small a league. I would be dropping him and looking to add another closer, or at the least pick up Venters to protect Kimbrel.
    Thanks for the feedback!

Consider Rollins gone. I'll find a buyer for him

I picked up Soriano as literally my last pick in the draft. Holds are worth 3 and Rivera is old...but you're right, I might swap him for another guy if it makes sense. Venters is available (and I'm a fan)

I got Granderson and Cuddyer in the last 2 or 3 rounds too. I like Cuddyer's positional eligibility and believe he'll have a better year than he did last year.
    I don't like Granderson...but he was there lol. If I can move him +1 for a good price I will most certainly do it!