Dobber Sports Novice

Default Top four Defensemen 2007 Draft

Stricktly based on points and how close to the NHL:

McDonagh
    Shattenkirk
    Ellerby
    Blum
    Plante

Add you own if you think of someone better fit.

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re:Top four Defensemen 2007 Draft

ok, so it was five...I can\'t count!:P

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thomas Hickey needs to be there, although I don\'t feel he\'s 4th overall material. I\'d also put in Mark Katic, P.K. Subban, and Brendan Smith, although those three are much further from the NHL due to severe issues with their defensive commitment.

Dobber Sports Ace

I noticed Karl Alzner isn\'t on this list. I definitely think he belongs to be among the top 5. He had 47 pts with the Hitmen, only 4 pts behind Blum (51) and more than Plante (38) and Ellerby (25). He\'s also been said to be amongst the most NHL ready prospects drafted in the 07 Entry Draft.

I find it kinda funny how some people have referred to him as a defensive D man... :huh:

Especially considering he got drafted by the Capitals, a team that could possibly be among the league\'s top scoring teams in the very near future....
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Is Alzner going to be the Phaneuf, Weber, and Johnson\'s that everyone wants in a few years?? He seems to be that kind of player. Great pick by the Caps. They are turning the corner in a hurry.. Kolzig needs to be a backup if he wants to win with the caps..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Nehithaw wrote:
    I noticed Karl Alzner isn\'t on this list. I definitely think he belongs to be among the top 5. He had 47 pts with the Hitmen, only 4 pts behind Blum (51) and more than Plante (38) and Ellerby (25). He\'s also been said to be amongst the most NHL ready prospects drafted in the 07 Entry Draft.
    That last sentence is exactly why he\'s scoring so many points.

There are two types of players in junior: raw talents and those who have it figured out. Both will score a lot of points, but one of them has a lower ceiling at the next level.

Chris Phillips is the guy most often compared to Alzner, and it goes beyond play-style:

61 GP, 10 G, 30 A, 40 Pts, 97 PIM
    63 GP, 8 G, 39 A, 47 Pts, 32 PIM

The top statline is Phillips\' from his draft year. The bottom one is Alzner\'s. And we all know that the former never developed into a PP QB.

Perhaps the biggest reason for Alzner having \'figured it out\'? He\'s one of the oldest players in the 2007 draft class!

Alzner- Sept. 24th, 1988

Plante- May 9th, 1989 (7 months)
    Blum- Jan. 30th, 1989 (5 months)
    Hickey- Feb. 8th, 1989 (5 months)

Why is 5/7 months important? It\'s because of how Canadian minor hockey tiers their ages. Basically, each of the above played a year less than Alzer. Imagine Plante with another year of development. Or Hickey. And if they\'re not destroying him in points by then, we may have to re-evaluate.

I...am your father.

Wow - that\'s one of the best answers I have ever seen on this forum. I wish I could do more than add Karma!

You should have tried to meet up for a beer on Sunday - some birthday wings and a birthday pitcher with the Dobber. You can\'t beat it!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

out of all the Dmen taken in the first round who has the most offensive potential? i was thinking shattenkirk but i just need someone elses opinion

Dobber Sports Novice

Wow Bugg!! Thanks fo that.

I was thinking McDonagh and Shattenkirk are the top two offensively but not sure how far away from the NHL they are.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dobber wrote:
    Wow - that\'s one of the best answers I have ever seen on this forum. I wish I could do more than add Karma!

You should have tried to meet up for a beer on Sunday - some birthday wings and a birthday pitcher with the Dobber. You can\'t beat it!
    I wish I could\'ve, but thanks to Gay Pride, I didn\'t end up finding a hotel until about 6 PM, and I needed to be up at 5 for my flight.

I...am your father.

You were busy marching and squirting your super soaker until 6pm?

:laugh:

You wimp! What - you need your beauty sleep? haha
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I\'m so ssssshhhhensitive to travel!