Thread: Drafting #1 - New to Dynasty Baseball

Dobber Sports Rookie

Question Drafting #1 - New to Dynasty Baseball

First year looking at minor league players so looking for some help. I asked earlier this year about where to look for info and you guys were all great. Next question:

I have 10 minor league spots and I'm picking #1. I'm taking Strasburg (Heyward is already on a team from LY so makes my pick easy). My question is I need to clear up space to make this pick and hopefully a few more. Take a look at my team and let me know your thoughts on my farm team. Who to drop, promote, keep, trade.... etc... And if you have any commentary on any of these players, I'd love to hear it!

PIT 3B Pedro Alvarez (11/24)
    LAA C Hank Conger (92/48)
    DET SS Cale Iorg (-/-)
    NYY C Jesus Montero (12/12)
    SFG 3B Angel Villalona (62/-)
    CWS 3B Dayan Viciedo (51/68)
    NYY P Dellin Betances (-/-)
    BOS P Michael Bowden (31/137) (WHY THE BIG DROP?)
    TOR 3B Brett Wallace (10/13)
    PHI P Carlos Carrasco (111/33) (WHY THE BIG JUMP?)
    *Dobber's ranks in (Dec Rank/Jan Rank)

Thanks!!!

Dobber Sports Novice

This is an easy one. Angel Villalona. He has been charged with murder and his U.S. visa was taken away. You can drop him without remorse.

Dobber Sports Rookie

As Frost mentioned, Villalona was charged with murder and is currently awaiting trial and faces up to 20 years in prison. This decision was kind of made for you already.

As for the big drop in Bowden, I can only assume that a lot of the prospects that are advancing through their minor league systems with great seasons are shooting up the charts, so someone has to come down. Bowden's stuff is only average and relies on his control, but even that took a hit in 2009. Tack on the fact that Wakefield did sign a contract in the off season, and appears to be recovering from his surgery, means Bowden doesn't have a spot come spring training. More than likely he'll need a trade out of the organization to get a chance.

As for Carrasco, his ERA wasn't too hot, but was terribly unluckly in 2009. His 8.5 K/9, 2.6 BB/9 & 3.3 K/BB also show that he looks to be ready for the major leagues, and when you're pitching for Cleveland, you'll have a shot to make the roster on opening day.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Once again, great info. Thank you very much. Any thought son Cale Iorg or Dellin Betances?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Betances is only 21, but he has trouble staying healthy and his control seems to have suffered because of it. He's not really anywhere on the radar as far as NYY prospects go.

Iorg, 24, got dominated at Double-A (.222 / .274 / .336), which isnt entirely surprising considering he didnt show that much prowess in High-A. He's a solid-fielding SS who's got some speed, but he strikes out too much and hasn't developed any power yet. I wouldn't be too hard-pressed to cut him loose.