Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help Appreciated....4th pick...new to baseball

aaron898

Default Help Appreciated....4th pick...new to baseball

Well, I\'m new to this site. I mainly do fantasy hockey, but I follow my Detroit Tigers and baseball regularly.
    I have the 4th overall pick in a keeper league that\'s starting, and just wanted to know what my best choice would be. I\'m guessing HanRan and Poophole are taken. So Dobber ranks the remaining hitters in this way: Reyes, Wright, Braun, and Cabrera.

My question is....how much better than Cabrera are those others? I kinda am leaning towards taking the hometown boy, Cabrera...tend to think his batting average will go back up this year. Am I crazy to pass over those others? Or with these guys, are they so close that its just a matter of preference?
    Stat Cats are: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS, W, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Rookie

If Cabrera is someone you want, then grab him. It\'s always nice grabbing someone you can cheer for, and you know he\'s not coming back to you on the turnaround.

Cabrera is a first round selection, and someone that normally would go a little later, but like I said, won\'t be available to you on then turnaround, so if you really want him, grab him. Wright and Reyes are ahead of them because of the steals, so if you do decide to grab Cabrera, make sure you get some 5 category guys in the next few rounds.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

aaron898

Thanks DJ, anyone else care to opine? Reyes and Wright grab more SBs, so is it advisable to just grab one of those?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Personally, I take Wright here.... 3B is not as deep as 1B.

Being from Det, do you think Miggy will get enough games at 3B this season to gain eligability? Or do you think he\'s done there.

As I said, I\'d grab Wright. Though you can\'t argue much against Miggy. As DJ said, he likely wont make it back to you and is a fine #1 pick.

Is the rest of your league from the DET area or just you? I ask since although he\'ll be taken by another team. I wonder how difficult it might be to trade for him. Perhaps snag Wright (or Reyes if you prefer) then attempt a trade with the other manager going for Cabrera + for Wright or Reyes OR try a trade with guys you draft later for Cabrera.

IF all the managers are in the DET area, his value will generally be increased - making drafting him the only real way to get him.

Just thoughts, but perhaps an angle you hadn\'t thought of.

Porter

aaron898

Porter, thanks.... karma for you when I\'m recharged! I think there\'s only one other Detroit based manager....so I guess I take Wright here. Sometimes I let my bias cloud my judgment. How many games at 3B would he have to play for eligibility? Actually, seems to me that Inge has that position on lockdown. I like your thought on grabbing Reyes or Wright and trading them for Cabrera +, that was my original thought too. Can\'t go wrong either way!

eligibility depends on the league settings - some have requirements of only one game played. Others (Yahoo - 10 games started the previous year) 5 Games started in the current year. Or something like that. CBS - can be set by the commish I believe.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

All you have to do is read my post on HanRam vs Pujols for the top pick to know what I\'m going to say here.

First base is just too deep to warrant taking Miggy at 4. It has absolutely nothing to do with Cabrera vs. Wright or Reyes, but rather has everything to do with the other guy you\'ll have to draft if you don\'t take Wright or Reyes.

If you go with Miggy, Wright and Reyes will be gone by the time you get to draft again. 3B and SS are really thin, and the dropoff from what you could have had to what you will get is huge. Conversely, 1B is a very deep position. You won\'t get a Miggy type guy later, but you can get a solid 1B fairly deep in drafts. I\'ve beentelling everybody that isn\'t in my league to wait for Votto. He\'s a nice player who can be had relatively late who\'s only going to get better.

Depending on the size of your league, I might suggest taking Reyes over Wright if he\'s available. As long as it isn\'t a huge league and you\'re drafting 4th, you should be able to snag Longoria with your 2nd pick. This would give you Reyes/Longoria. If you go Wright you won\'t have a shot at Reyes or Rollins. This would give you the 2nd best player at two relatively thin positions. Then you just have to worry about getting a solid 2B later in the draft and you won\'t have to worry about that nasty ol\' position scarcity biting you in the ass.

Just my $.02
    Fantasy Hockey
    Buy It Now Fantasy Hockey Guide and WIN Your Pool

imported_shallowfrozenwater

if it\'s me then i\'d be taking Reyes at 4 and it\'d be Wright if Reyes is gone ... but i\'m not a Tigers fan. i\'m ok with taking Miggy there but i wouldn\'t do it and i still wouldnt be advising you to go that route.

aaron898

PS....15 team keeper...so how does that affect my decision thanks so much for all your advice guys...love this site !!!!!

15 team league! For sure wouldnt go 1B round 1, not with Wright or Reyes on the board (unless Pujols slips for some reason)...

I prefer Wright, and try to nab a drew/hardy guy later to play SS... But the Reyes/Longoria suggetsion from before sounds nice as well.

I would not be opposed to Wright, then Longoria on the way back either... great trade bait (will always need a UTL guy)

aaron898

Thanks for your help, everyone....Porter, I just increased your karma.....I\'ll hit the others back when I refresh

Looks like Wright or Reyes.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

ItsAlwaysSunnyInDetroit wrote:
    Thanks for your help, everyone....Porter, I just increased your karma.....I\'ll hit the others back when I refresh

Looks like Wright or Reyes.
    You won\'t be disappointed B) .
    Fantasy Hockey
    Buy It Now Fantasy Hockey Guide and WIN Your Pool

aaron898

Just wonderin....is Wright that much better than ARoid?

rwthompson

Wright\'s numbers were slighter better last season,very slightly! But more important he is Healthy and only 27years old compared to A-Roid at 34

Wright would be my pick,then Reyes!You can always grab Granderson and,Verlander,or E. Jackson later and have a couple Tigers!

Good Luck!B)

Dobber Sports Rookie

Wright would be my selection as well if I had the #4 pick. You can always grab Polanco if you wanted a Tiger haha
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec