Thread: Dynasty League first pick

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Dynasty League first pick

Normally I would never think of posting this type of thread, I\'ve been playing fantasy baseball for long enough to have my own opinions. However, I\'m drfating in the first year of a dynasty league and I have the first pick.

Everywhere you look in the fantasy world right now seems to have Hanley as top dog this year, but to be honest I\'m really considering taking Pujols. I respect the fantasy opinions of the guys on the Dobber boards so what do you think?

Before you all ask,12 team league scoring cats for hitting are as follows:

R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, XBH

Also just to help out here are the last 2 years stats for both players.

Hanley Ramírez

2008 177/589 125 33 67 35 .301 .400 71
    2007 212/639 125 29 81 51 .332 .386 83

Albert Pujols

2008 187/524 100 37 116 7 .357 .462 81
    2007 185/565 99 32 103 2 .327 .429 71

Let me know what you think.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Majority of the board thinks Hanley is the first overall pick. I seem to be against the norm, thinking Pujols is the #1 pick. Hanley is a 5 tool stud, but the difference I get in RBI production, batting average, and OBP, I feel puts him in a more valueable position.

I also think to compensate the lack of steals I get with Pujols, I can draft 20+/20 guys like Kinsler, Beltran, or McLouth.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

dre857

Any type of new Keeper league I would guarentee that I would draft Albert Pujols...its not like he is an old man (he\'s only 29 years old). Pujols is one of the purest hitters of this generation, and nothing should change that for the next 5-7 years (its not like he is speed guy and it could diminish).

Go against the grain...and pick Prince Albert and be proud!

imported_shallowfrozenwater

positional scarcity has to play a factor in this decision. what sort of MI are you hoping to get later in the draft? i suppose maybe Kinsler or Phillips is a possibility if you take Albert but i\'d much rather take HanRam and then go after a VERY deep 1b option later. HanRam/Fielder or Berkman is a better tandem in my books than Pujols/Kinsler.

i understand your dilemma though. it\'d be HanRam for me though.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

shallowfrozenwater wrote:
    positional scarcity has to play a factor in this decision. what sort of MI are you hoping to get later in the draft? i suppose maybe Kinsler or Phillips is a possibility if you take Albert but i\'d much rather take HanRam and then go after a VERY deep 1b option later. HanRam/Fielder or Berkman is a better tandem in my books than Pujols/Kinsler.

i understand your dilemma though. it\'d be HanRam for me though.
    What I was about to say.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hanley continues to play extremely poor defense including costing the team runs in the WBC. In a Dynasty, starting a team now, I might go with Pujols because of that. He is more consistant than anyone and hits on a different level. Hanley\'s power should increase slightly but his speed could drop more. He could move to third which is really scary as it would kill a lot of value. The only positive is, third is getting really thin now especially when you consider many current and future stars of the position have moved or eventually will... Cabrera, Atkins, Villalona, Viciedo come to mind right now.

For a couple years, Hanley. For a career league... Pujols.
    08-09 (Before Ownership): DHL Stars
    Fisher, Fehr, Hagman, Stoll, Dubinsky, Zubrus, Brule, Boyd, Stempniak, Bergeron, HIggins, Nylander, Langkow, Bourque, Burrows, Pyatt, Crombeen, Hunwick Ohlund, Salo, Bergeron, Thomas, Quick, Ersberg, LaBarbera, Raycroft

12-13 (Present): DHL Capitals
    Heatley, Semin, Vanek, Roy, Ribeiro, Kessel, Couture, Turris, Kopitar, Marleau, Hossa, Pominville, Conacher, Nyquist, Silfverberg, Rajala, Arcobello, Karlsson, Green, Enstrom, Wisniewski, Ellis, Elliott, Murphy, Brennan, Benoit, Fleury, Bryzgalov, Elliott, Nabakov, Lehner

Dobber Sports Novice

We drafted last night and in the end I went with Pujols and overall I\'m happy with my team.

C Chris Iannetta
    1B Albert Pujols
    2B Orlando Hudson
    3B Kevin Youkilis
    SS Stephen Drew
    OF Matt Holliday
    OF Álex Ríos
    OF Shane Victorino
    Util Jay Bruce
    BN
    Ian Stewart
    Shin-Soo Choo
    Ty Wigginton
    Elijah Dukes

Pitchers W CG SV K HLD ERA WHIP
    SP CC Sabathia
    SP James Shields
    RP Brian Fuentes
    RP Brandon Morrow
    P Edinson Vólquez
    P Jon Lester
    P Matt Garza
    BN
    Brad Ziegler
    Frank Francisco
    Jose Arredondo
    Wandy Rodríguez

I think I\'m weak at 2nd and relief pitchers. Hudson will do ok, nothing spectacular and Stewart qualifies at 2nd if he gets enough ABs. Looking forward prospects on the waiver right now include Eric Young and Jason Donald. Also might be interested in Gordon Beckham who hasn\'t got a lot ahead of him at the White Sox if Alexei sticks at Shortstop. Obviously I drafted Morrow as a starter really, but I think Ziegler and Francisco will get good looks at closing while Arreondo is a back up for Fuentes and all three will help in ERA, WHIP and maybe Holds.

This is a dynasty league so I think I\'ve got plenty to build on. What do you guys think?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Think your team looks pretty solid. You can use an upgrade at 2B, and would be tempted to dangle Garza and O-Dog to see if you can get a small upgrade - perhaps Chone Figgins?
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Yea sure - you are weak at RP - but if there is a position to be weak at, it\'s that! with all the closer turnover, you should be able to pick up servicable releivers very quickly - just follow the waiver wire!

2B is weak, SP is deep - I like the idea of packaging Garza ( who is nice but expendable on your team). Personally I\'d try to target someone a little younger than Figgins (though I do like the guy) - he is not getting younger - but more concerning is gaining and losing positional status since he\'s moving around so much!

I\'d try to capitalize on a Cano downyear/\'falling out of favour in NYC\', or a JLopez - younger guys. But just like RP 2B is not a terrible place to be weak at. 2Bers are hard to find sure, but they also tend to not produce (at least for long).

Good Luck!

Dobber Sports Novice

To be honest I\'m not that worried about being weak at RP. The guys I have are not awful. Fuentes and Arredondo are on the Angels who produced the saves leader last season. While I realize that K Rod had something to do with that, the Angels will still be in those situations quite a bit and will produce at least the opportunities. Ziegler is an interesting pitcher, I think Devine will eventually win the job, but he has an injury history and Ziegler would still contribute in holds, ERA and WHIP. Unless he is found out by AL hitters he will help the team. Francisco is also in a pretty good situation and I think he will keep the job going forward. If the worst comes to the worst, there always seems to be options that pop up in the course of the season.

2B is not terrible either, Hudson will at least contribute in avg and now that he is with LA, he may even have a career year. As I said before Stewart qualifies there at the moment and I think he will do well IF he can get at bats. I\'m also looking at prospects like Young, while exploring trade options with other teams.

Overall I think I have a pretty strong team with players like Bruce, Drew, Volquez who can grow into very good players in the future. This being a dynasty league.